Creation vs. Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
if humans can create a living thing... then certainly there can be a God who did it initially.

again, that's tremendously flawed logic

you are ASSUMING that because humans exist and create, there is another entity out there (invisible and beyond comprehension) who might also exist and create, but who, unlike humans, has no physical body, is not bound by time or space, and has amazing powers to do things without need for technology

big leap

certainly a belief, but totally unfounded in logic, and a HUGE leap in reasoning

This has all been good fun... but as usual... neither side wins... because neither side has conclusively proved or disproved the existence of God.

It is one of just a few age old arguments that are worth debating every now and then... it keeps the human spirit alive and gives hope to those who do believe there is something great out there waiting for them. I hate to ponder the chaos that will occur should science ever disprove God. It is humanities belief in God that keeps it in check, from running amuck... for without God in most lives all hope would be lost. What little ethical and moral behavior remains in society would vanish and there would be a return to nothing more than throwing rocks at each other.

Enjoy the day...

But who are we to say which is right?

the one which can be disproven will turn out to be wrong if it is

the one that can't be disproven will never turn out to be wrong, since it can't be disproven

so basing your life on a non-testable / non-disprovable theory is very safe, in that no one can ever prove you wrong

on the other hand, basing your life on testable / disprovable theories may end up turning your life upside down, but at least you will know you were wrong

seek the truth, and the truth shall set you free, no?

This has all been good fun... but as usual... neither side wins... because neither side has conclusively proved or disproved the existence of God.

you keep missing the point

no one could ever disprove the existence of God ... hence, nothing based on the idea of a god is scientific, since it could never be disproven

you can believe in God all you want ... no one can disprove that

I believe science has it's place and I'm all for seeking the truth... the bigger question is - is humanity ready to accept the truth - or will the truth cause chaos?

I suspect that in either of the following events; 1. if Science disproves God or 2. If God should again visit the earth... chaos will occur. In either event, we (humanity) will likely be the losers.

Here is one more thing I'm hoping some scientist somewhere is pondering... but I've never read anything scientific about it.

If the earth is a living organism and if by chance it was intelligently designed like ourselves... is there any possibility that oil is the earths blood... and the reason the earth is dying is because we are draining it's blood?

Perhaps climate changes have as much to do with earth struggling to stay alive as we drain it's blood as anything else.

Perhaps you'ree a scientist who can investigate this?

But who are we to say which is right? Especially when science is continually proven wrong - given enough time.

The fact that science can be proven wrong is a big plus in my book, it means that it is continually being refined and improved. Religion leaves no room for disagreement, or open discussion of its ideas, something I find very disturbing.

That was never the aim of the debate you realise? I don't believe I can disprove God at all. Science never makes claims about the existence of God and any scientist that says so is an idiot. What I have been arguing is that god is not necessary for the world around us. If you want to believe in a God, go for it but a. don't force your beliefs on other people and b. don't argue against realities and facts such as how evolution occurs, the world is 4.5 billion years and 2+2=4.

I hate to ponder the chaos that will occur should science ever disprove God.

I think this would be the first time the human race would be truly free actually. When I stopped believing in God, it was the first time I'd ever been happy as I realised the life I have now is *all* I have so I better make the most of it. It also removed all the guilt about who I was as a person and it lead me to prize rationality and evidence over faith and irrationality. It was a great day for me :)

It is humanities belief in God that keeps it in check, from running amuck... for without God in most lives all hope would be lost. What little ethical and moral behavior remains in society would vanish and there would be a return to nothing more than throwing rocks at each other.

Wow so it is god stopping you from throwing rocks at other people? Crazy and a little scary. I don't believe in God and have never felt the urge to throw a rock at someone.

Here is one more thing I'm hoping some scientist somewhere is pondering... but I've never read anything scientific about it.

If the earth is a living organism and if by chance it was intelligently designed like ourselves... is there any possibility that oil is the earths blood... and the reason the earth is dying is because we are draining it's blood?

Perhaps climate changes have as much to do with earth struggling to stay alive as we drain it's blood as anything else.

Perhaps you'ree a scientist who can investigate this?

:rofl3:

You picked a great handle offthewall. :)

Watch out for those White Sharks... they were God's Gift... oops... I mean science's gift to divers!

I haven't run into any preachers who I could describe as inti-science (maybe groups like the Amish come close?), including those who are proponents of a completely "literal" interpretation of the Bible. I might describe most of them as anti(anti-religion) though.

I have an Aunt who attends a church who's preacher has stated, on numerous cases, that science is the devils door into this world. I have no idea how common that particular viewpoint is amount the clergy (n=1, and all that), but given what I've seen in this thread, and elsewhere, I suspect its not as uncommon as you think.

Science may not make any claims vis-a-vis God but there are people who do and try to use science as their justification...just as there are those who try to use religious beliefs to dispute science.

Personally, I don't see much value in either approach.

I've been saying the same until I'm blue in the face, but some people just done seem to get it...

Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom