Creation vs. Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've educated myself quite well. How about you? You seem to parrot the one-liners you've been fed since birth...ever do any real science and question its validity?

boy that is that is the kettle .... calling...

You seem to be a parrot for arcane fantasy world of organized religions about a magic man in the sky. :popcorn:

[/INDENT] But you were wrong in the first place, the driving force is not the pressure differential, it's the tendency of each piece of water to seek its potential density depth.
Which results in a pressure differential and flow?

But please, feel free to present the math that describes fluid flow without a pressure differential.

The issue that you do not understand the actual meaning of the terms that you're flinging about and then, ex post facto, you try to mash what you thought the words meant into what those of us in the field use those words to actually mean.

Actually, I do have quite a bit of background in fluid flow. I suppose since I post using my real name that you could verify this if you had a mind to.
Let's just drop this line of discourse. Chalk it up to us evil scientists knowing more about science. Okay?

Or we chalk it up to an anonymous poster who says he is a scientist (evil or not) and apparently wants to talk down his nose to people because he doesn't like getting called on something. Okay?...or just present the math that describes fluid flow without a pressure differential in an ocean or anyplace else...but I asked for that already didn't I?

Mike, you're using terms incorrectly in an oceanographic context, that might make sense in an engineering context and then struggling to justify it by insulting me? That's beneath you. FYI: I have never suggested that you there is flow without a differential, just that the differential is not the cause, but rather the effect.

As Dr. Frankenfurther exclaimed:
So come up to the lab,
and see what's on the slab.
I see you shiver with anticipation.
But maybe the rain, Is really to blame
So I'll remove the cause, but not the symptom.​

I won't bother quoting the rest of your post as it contains nothing but assumptions.

this is risible

the fossil record is a fact. do some reading one of these days

since you seem to have missed my point, i'll spell it out

facts (the fossil record) tells us that we have one of two options:

a. either the Earth is a closed biological system, which means that complex animals had to arise from already existing, simpler animals here on earth; or

b. the Earth is an open biological system, with new "waves" of fully formed more complex animals arriving all the time either through supernatural or extraterrestrial means

we have lots of evidence "a" is the case; no evidence "b" is the case

take your pick

Fill me in, I want to know, I want to know! :)

I think that he was thinkling that I/we were thinking of the ambient pressure difference between the surface and the bottom....which of course doesn't result in flow because there is no path from the high side of the potential to the low side.

Of course I was refering to the pressure difference between the upstream (high pressure) and downstream (low pressure) ends of the flow path which is directly responsible for the flow.

A simple misunderstanding but still very instructive, I thought.

In my former life, I was a musician and used to play at church services for a variety of denominations including having had the "fortune" to sit through a few full 3 hr long latin Catholic masses. It's pretty rough. My wife's family church is much more down to earth and while I don't agree with many of the base premises, I do usually find something within the Priest's sermons to relate to. Since we got married within the church, we also had to attend Pre-Cana which I was pleasantly surprised with. I know not all pre-Cana classes are like this, but ours was a 2 day thing where we spent most of the time talking about very practical matters with one another. There was the requisite section on "Natural Family Planning," but even that was presented in a pretty honest manner.

Interesting. I also started my professional life as a musician though I don't often speak of those days and I didn't play in many churches:D

Mike, you're using terms incorrectly in an oceanographic context, that might make sense in an engineering context and then struggling to justify it by insulting me? That's beneath you.

It should be beneath me but maybe it isn't and I apologize.
FYI: I have never suggested that you there is flow without a differential, just that the differential is not the cause, but rather the effect.

I understand and agree.
As Dr. Frankenfurther exclaimed:
So come up to the lab,
and see what's on the slab.
I see you shiver with anticipation.
But maybe the rain, Is really to blame
So I'll remove the cause, but not the symptom.​

Actually, I'd love to, should I ever get the chance.

Last edited:
Wow ... now you've gone and shown us just how little you understand about oceanography. Just how deep a hole do you plan on digging yourself into? Stick to things you can at least pretend that you know something about.

Hint1: The Dead Sea has nothing whatever to do with global circulation and cycles, it is a body of water that is cut off from those processes.

Hint2: Ocean circulation is driven by differences in density between water masses.

Hint3: Wind.....Waves.....and eddy currents

this is risible

the fossil record is a fact. do some reading one of these days

since you seem to have missed my point, i'll spell it out

facts (the fossil record) tells us that we have one of two options:

a. either the Earth is a closed biological system, which means that complex animals had to arise from already existing, simpler animals here on earth; or

b. the Earth is an open biological system, with new "waves" of fully formed more complex animals arriving all the time either through supernatural or extraterrestrial means

we have lots of evidence "a" is the case; no evidence "b" is the case

take your pick

Option c:

The earth is open, or closed, and God created the animals, complex or otherwise and you leap to the conclusion (despite no direct observation of the events) the fossil record proves option A.

Option c:

The earth is open, or closed, and God created the animals, complex or otherwise and you leap to the conclusion (despite no direct observation of the events) the fossil record proves option A.

Ah, the literalist returns. It's 6000 years old, right?

How's the new home, GM?

The earth is open, or closed

so which is it? since you believe in God creating the animals, you obviously believe it is an open system (i.e. complex animals were somehow introduced into the Earth fully formed)

and God created the animals, complex or otherwise

the fossil record proves that not all animals were "created" at the same time.

for example, trilobites were "created" 500 million years ago. dinosaurs were "created" about 250 million years ago. mammals were "created" about 165 million years ago.
monkeys were "created" about 40 million years ago. apes were "created" about 25 million years ago. hominids were "created" about 14 million years ago. humans were "created" about 200,000 years ago.

so did God keep taking long breaks in his creation? is that how you read the fossil record?

and in the meantime, whole species were going extinct which God had created, presumably not for the long term ... why did he create them if he was to let them vanish into oblivion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom