Creation vs. Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let start with #1:

There is zero evidence for a biblical-style flood
There is zero evidence for a young earth - 100,000, 10,000, 6,000 years old, or whatever number you prefer
Given the known mutation and selection rates, there is not enough time for just two members of a "kind" to make the species we see today; even assuming a 100,000 year old earth.
Its well established that just two members of the same species cannot produce a viable population, as inbreeding will remove genetic variability far faster than mutation can create it

Other than sedimentary rock formations on every mountain, field and valley in the world. Couple that with mollusk and fish fossils just about everywhere. BTW, as a Christian I believe Genesis 1:1...every miracle that came after that is a piece of cake including the amount of water needed to flood the planet. There are stories in almost every culture, in disparate parts of the globe that talk about a great flood.
2. Again there's evidence but not a lot of time spent examing it. Science today loves to measure age of fossils as determing the age of the Earth. They completely ignore any evidence to the contrary or dismiss it as Christian Bias.
3. You say this despite the fact that modern man can be traced to a single mother about 150000 -200K years ago? BTW, saw this on the discovery channel. The gene is dubbed the Eve gene and is shared by everyone.

That statement is incomplete. Fluid flow can be driven by a pressure differential. The ocean currents are driven by density differentials, caused by differences in salinity and/or water temperature.

Of course my statement was an incomplete explanation of ocean currents.

However, please give me an example of fluid flow where there is no pressure differential.
A pressure differential does not automatically cause movement of fluid.
Take 10m high container of pure water at thermal equilibrium. The pressure on the top differs from the pressure on the bottom by 1 ATA. There wont be fluid flow.
It has to be an external pressure ON the fluid. :wink:

Obviously, because there is no path for fluid to flow. The missing component here isn't "external pressure" but a path for fluid to flow. Now poke a hole in the bottom of the container and watch the fluid begin to flow.

Other than sedimentary rock formations on every mountain, field and valley in the world. Couple that with mollusk and fish fossils just about everywhere.

Didn't you learn about plate tectonics in kindergarten!?!??!?! It is unbelievable how ignorant you are. I literally learned about this when I was 5 years old. Oh yeah, and lets not ignore glacial movement, too.

2. Again there's evidence but not a lot of time spent examing it. Science today loves to measure age of fossils as determing the age of the Earth. They completely ignore any evidence to the contrary or dismiss it as Christian Bias.

No evidence has been provided. There is no dismissal.

3. You say this despite the fact that modern man can be traced to a single mother about 150000 -200K years ago? BTW, saw this on the discovery channel. The gene is dubbed the Eve gene and is shared by everyone.

What does this prove?

You and me baby,
ain't nothing but mammals,
so let's do it like they do
on The Discovery Channel

(That wasn't a proposition)

"What is the net result," you may ask. Some mutations are fatal or very bad. These mutations get eliminated immediately. Some are silent and don't count.
Sometimes a mutation is definitely advantageous; this is rare but it does happen.
Almost all mutations which aren't silent and which aren't eliminated immediately are neither completely advantageous nor deleterious. The mutation produces a slightly different protein, and the cell and the living organism work slightly differently. Whether the mutation is helpful or harmful depends on the environment; it could be either.

I'd like to add that they used an exampe of where coloration became an advantage. Coloration is a very simple adaptation. Find me a moth with 3 wings or 2 legs that found them advantageous.

Of course my statement was an incomplete explanation of ocean currents.

However, please give me an example of fluid flow where there is no pressure differential.

Obviously, because there is no path for fluid to flow. The missing component here isn't "external pressure" but a path for fluid to flow. Now poke a hole in the bottom of the container and watch the fluid begin to flow.

We disagree about enough, let's not argue about the things we agree on. I'm pretty sure the salinity and temperature differences cause density differences, which cause pressure differences. We all know that if you put ice in one side of a bath tub and hot water in the other, we get currents. The same goes for changing the salinity.

"What is the net result," you may ask. Some mutations are fatal or very bad. These mutations get eliminated immediately. Some are silent and don't count. Almost all mutations which aren't silent and which aren't eliminated immediately are neither completely advantageous nor deleterious. The mutation produces a slightly different protein, and the cell and the living organism work slightly differently. Whether the mutation is helpful or harmful depends on the environment; it could be either.

I'd like to add that they used an exampe of where coloration became an advantage. Coloration is a very simple adaptation. Find me a moth with 3 wings or 2 legs that found them advantageous.

If you have a point in here, it's totally lost. Why would you expect that a 3 winged moth is an advantage?

anti-science movements - creationism, the anti-vaccine movement, anti-global warming movement

Let's get this right..science isn't anti-creationism but creationsim is anti-science? This is the kind of arrogance that litters science. You really think you have all the answers. Well here's one for you. Revelation talks of plagues that will wipe out billions of people. So maybe you do have something in common with Christianity. Both think the bacteria will eventually win.

What does this prove?
That this statement is false
Given the known mutation and selection rates, there is not enough time for just two members of a "kind" to make the species we see today; even assuming a 100,000 year old earth.
Its well established that just two members of the same species cannot produce a viable population, as inbreeding will remove genetic variability far faster than mutation can create it

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom