Creation vs. Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished reading all the other posts...

Yeast gene duplication...I'm sure the Sean Carroll study I referred to in yeast gene duplication could be found on one of your database searches. The point was that I mentioned yeast gene duplications and that they happened supposedly 100 million years ago (at least the one that formed the split between these 2 species did), and that mainstream science (experimentation and data gathering) and the evidence they gather don't necessitate an evolutionary interpretation. And again, doing a search of journal articles about gene duplication does not give us an idea of the worldview behind the scientists interpretation of the results...only by reading the study can we glean that. Clearly, Carroll already assumed evolution to have occurred as he stated the gene duplication occured 100 million years ago and was followed up by subsequent mutation. And again, this was obviously not observed.

Ph.D.s and arguments from authorite...Some on this thread have appealed to what is called an argument from authority. Such arguments are fallacious, of course. With that said, I was asked what I did my Ph.D. work in. Nothing. I don't have a Ph.D. Alrighty then. Obviously that shouldn't matter anyway because the same ones appealing to the arguments from authority also denegrate the interprations of evidence by creationists with Ph.D.s who interpret evidence differently than the evolutionists. So let's put the argument from authority bit to rest.

Mutations harmful?...Because of the redundancy of the genetic code (information, by the way) in its ability to form amino acids (slightly different codons produce the same amino acid), most mutations are benign...granted (there are other reasons as well like the concept of introns and exons). However, even talk.origins claims that of the mutations that have an effect, most are harmful. Many mutations that cause effects are typically known by the diseases/disorders they produce. And yes, resistance in bacteria has been at the consequence of a decrease in functionality somewhere else.

The Miller experiment...It is being taught in all high school biology textbooks I have reviewed over the last 12 years as well as the introductory college texts that I have reviewed. All the Campbell, Reece, and Mitchell college level texts teach Miller. Starr and Taggert. I'm sure there are others. The only one so far that does not put Miller on a pedistal would be the Bob Jones University Press biology text...but we would expect that, now wouldn't we? I'm sure there are others, but I do not know of them. Holt biology, Glencoe biology...all these teach the Miller experiment.

Physics laws...Cutnell/Johnson and Giancoli Physics texts still teach Newton's laws in their first few chapters as well.

Creation in the classroom...Personally, I wouldn't want creation science taught in public school classrooms either. Imagine a whole host of science teachers that adhere to evolution trying to articulate a completely different worldview...though it might be fun to watch...In a "parochial" school where Biblical inerrancy and Scriptural authority are the worldview, yes, creation should be taught.

Creation model...Obviously it would take a lot more time than any of us have, but let me focus on just one aspect that does not involve abiogenesis or the creation of life. Others can chime in and tell me if I have this one right...creationists would claim that direct observation has lent support to the Biblical account of reproduction of the kinds. In other words, it is possible that 2 dog-kind animals (walking off the ark, of course) with maximal heterozygosity of genes could produce quite a huge amount of variation in a relatively short amount of time. Mutations would occur, of course, but any natural selection or speciation would occur within the kind. Does that sum up that aspect of the creation model? What is the "kind?" I'm not sure. I've heard that, using our man made heirarchy of today, that it might fall around the family level sometimes. Again, this modern heirarchy was not built with the biblical "kind" in mind, so it is hard to say where it would fall.

So its bad science to point out holes in some the theories being spoken about on here?

The only holes that you have found are in your own understanding. It's really sad that you can't grasp that.

Also, it would seem that everyone opposed to teaching intelligent design in the classroom because it can't be tested, has no problem teaching concepts that have been proven outdated or false. I have a problem reconciling the convergence of those positions.

Who has said that we have "no problem" with that? I certainly am annoyed, but I don't see you providing any evidence or citations to support your claim, nor have most of your claims regarding outdated/false information actually been correct.

BTW...CE is customer engineer. First Job I received when I graduated from College.

Ah, so you're a customer engineer for Jesus. Can I be osa4fsm (Operations Support Analyst for Flying Spaghetti Monster)?

I think you're missing the point. If God created the world with the roadmap on how to live and build a relationship with Him, you fault him because you find evidence his world looks older than you thought? How old does petrified wood from the 1978 eruption of Mt. St. Helens date using radiometric dating? Millions of years old. Why?

I don't know, I haven't heard that before. Could you provide a citation? (Of course you won't...you never have). There hundreds of ways that the age of the Earth is determined other than radiocarbon dating, though and they all agree - 4.5 billion years.

I've heard one theory put forward that states the creation account in Genesis is modern man. If God exists outside of time and "a day is to a 1000 years as a 1000 years is to a day" then no one has to subscribe to a literal 6 days in the Genesis Creation account.

That's not a theory. That's one person rationalizing.

Regardless, some of you buy into every syllable published in a scientfic rag long before it ahs been tested as fact. Only later do you find out what you learned wasn't what you thought. Was science trying to fool you? Was the author being dishonest? Likewise, the notion God is trying to fool you is laughable.

If it's in a "scientific rag" it has at least been tested in some way.

Please, tell me, if the world is actually 6 thousand years old and EVERY independent method we have shows it to be 4.5 billion years, what is your explanation? Saying something is "laughable" doesn't actually make it true.

Ph.D.s and arguments from authorite...Some on this thread have appealed to what is called an argument from authority. Such arguments are fallacious, of course. With that said, I was asked what I did my Ph.D. work in. Nothing. I don't have a Ph.D. Alrighty then. Obviously that shouldn't matter anyway because the same ones appealing to the arguments from authority also denegrate the interprations of evidence by creationists with Ph.D.s who interpret evidence differently than the evolutionists. So let's put the argument from authority bit to rest.

Yes and no. When two people go at it, and one works in the field and has a much higher level of understanding than the other, and shoots down every argument one by one with facts and citations, that's not an argument from authority fallacy -- that's one person knows more than the other and the other person is too arrogant to admit that he's wrong. At least you have had some background in logic and reasoning, though, which is more than I can say for the majority of people in this discussion.

We denigrate the interpretation of Creationists because they bend some facts and outright lie about others. I have yet to see a creationist account that I, as a layman, couldn't just dismiss outright because of obvious mistakes in logic and understanding.

The Miller experiment...It is being taught in all high school biology textbooks I have reviewed over the last 12 years as well as the introductory college texts that I have reviewed. All the Campbell, Reece, and Mitchell college level texts teach Miller. Starr and Taggert. I'm sure there are others. The only one so far that does not put Miller on a pedistal would be the Bob Jones University Press biology text...but we would expect that, now wouldn't we? I'm sure there are others, but I do not know of them. Holt biology, Glencoe biology...all these teach the Miller experiment.

Physics laws...Cutnell/Johnson and Giancoli Physics texts still teach Newton's laws in their first few chapters as well.

I'm curious what reason you have had for reviewing so many high school textbooks? Are you a biology teacher or something?

Creation model...Obviously it would take a lot more time than any of us have, but let me focus on just one aspect that does not involve abiogenesis or the creation of life. Others can chime in and tell me if I have this one right...creationists would claim that direct observation has lent support to the Biblical account of reproduction of the kinds. In other words, it is possible that 2 dog-kind animals (walking off the ark, of course) with maximal heterozygosity of genes could produce quite a huge amount of variation in a relatively short amount of time. Mutations would occur, of course, but any natural selection or speciation would occur within the kind. Does that sum up that aspect of the creation model? What is the "kind?" I'm not sure. I've heard that, using our man made heirarchy of today, that it might fall around the family level sometimes. Again, this modern heirarchy was not built with the biblical "kind" in mind, so it is hard to say where it would fall.

Oh, you mean complete and utter BS compounded with more BS since it is not even remotely possible for 2 of every "kind" (*** that is) to fit on a boat? Awesome. Could you please provide citations for this "theory" so we can laugh at it?

Soggy>>>>"We denigrate the interpretation of Creationists because they bend some facts and outright lie about others. I have yet to see a creationist account that I, as a layman, couldn't just dismiss outright because of obvious mistakes in logic and understanding."

I would too. Lies are not good and "both sides" have their fair share of deceptions. Can you give me one to see if I agree with you that something was a lie?

Soggy>>>>"I'm curious what reason you have had for reviewing so many high school textbooks? Are you a biology teacher or something?"

You seem to be quite interested in people's occupations! But, yes, I am a high school science teacher.

Soggy>>>>"Oh, you mean complete and utter BS compounded with more BS since it is not even remotely possible for 2 of every "kind" (*** that is) to fit on a boat? Awesome. Could you please provide citations for this "theory" so we can laugh at it?"

Well, since you would laugh at it already, then I guess there's no need to provide anything! Let's just have a good laugh right now!

I would say that the ark is a separate topic at this point. So I guess I'm just more interested in whether the rest of what I presented would be the creationist's position. It does seem to fit the parameter of "direct observation," though, since dogs have always, observationally, produced other dogs (wolves, dingoes, foxes, domesticated dogs...)

Thanks, Soggy.

Truly, I say onto you. they have no Idea how many animals live upon the earth. Around the earth or within. I am guessing all these species have been created since the flood... Or maybe they evolved!!! :popcorn:

Does anyone here know the spiritual meaning of the flood? Even if our literal Bible friends don't, maybe our science friends do. :D

Soggy>>>>"
I would say that the ark is a separate topic at this point. So I guess I'm just more interested in whether the rest of what I presented would be the creationist's position. It does seem to fit the parameter of "direct observation," though, since dogs have always, observationally, produced other dogs (wolves, dingoes, foxes, domesticated dogs...)

Thanks, Soggy.

You have truly missed the point. You must realize that the discussion is not about creation... Never has been! It is about the different viewpoints of the Bible Literalist's, Spiritualists, and Scientists. It is just an argument that cannot be resolved. Everyone will continue to scream their opinions till the end of time! :confused:

Can you give me one to see if I agree with you that something was a lie?

I've spent too much time doing that already. There are several back through the thread. I've never seen a creationist account that wasn't full of misinformation. It is up to you to provide a good account, not up to me to find the numerous bad ones.

You seem to be quite interested in people's occupations! But, yes, I am a high school science teacher.

It is very helpful to know where people are coming from.

Well, since you would laugh at it already, then I guess there's no need to provide anything! Let's just have a good laugh right now!

Yes, it's really not worth arguing over the ark. Only a fool would believe that story literally.

Yes, animals evolve into other species. Thank you for agreeing with us. I guess we convinced you.

Soggy>>>>"Yes, animals evolve into other species. Thank you for agreeing with us. I guess we convinced you."

I guess so.

Soggy>>>>"Yes, animals evolve into other species. Thank you for agreeing with us. I guess we convinced you."

So are you saying it is possible that 2 of a dog-kind could produce the diversity of dog-kinds that we see today? Or are you saying it is not possible? Or are you remaining agnostic on this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom