Creation vs. Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dive more, worry about religious differenses less Life will be a better place if they follow my advise, (and drink my cool aid).

I think that the recent postings may have something to do with lack of diving or the desire to be doing more of it?

That is where I am at right now. Otherwise I would not be posting in this thread.

So....cool aid you say? You make a wicked "juice", do ya?:D

So your chart would mean to me that Christians should be following the law, ie, all mitzvot except circumcision and animal sacrifice (specified as per a previous entry on the chart).

Not the case as far as I know. Certain parts of the law have been emphasized above others.

[/QUOTE]

Not at all. You'll get the most complete explanation by reading the Bible references given in the chart. There are other articles online that go through it in paragraph form rather than a chart but it's still just a summary. I'll dig one up for you if you want?

I haven't often heard much for reasons behind the rules other than, "God said so, Jesus said so, you will go to heaven and be with God, etc, etc."

No worries, when I die, and if I am wrong and end up in the firey pits of hell, I will cry out..."Mike!! Theunis!!! Save me...save me Mike!!! Theunis!!!....Be good christains, and save me!!!!!"

I'll wait a bit.....and if that fails............then I will repent, say I am sorry...say a few "Our Fathers" and "Hail Mary's" and all will be forgiven...shazam....and like the drop of a hat, I will be up in heaven sipping on some gin and juice, kicking back with Big Daddy, JC, the spook, Theunis, and Mike, right?

No worries, when I die, and if I am wrong and end up in the firey pits of hell, I will cry out..."Mike!! Save me...save me Mike!!!....Be a good christain, and save me!!!!!"

And then I will repent, say I am sorry...say a few "Our Fathers" and "Hail MAry's" and all will be forgiven...shazam....and like the drop of a hat, I will be up in heaven sipping on some gin and juice with Big Daddy, JC, the spook, and Mike, right?

That all depends on which denomination/interpretation you believe. There is a clause where you cannot repent in your final days. Basically, you can't be a bastard your entire life and then just say "forgive me, I have sinned." However, some denominations don't actually believe in Hell and believe that everyone will eventually find their way to heaven after spending a good amount of time in purgatory.

I just want to know "who is right?" since not even the Christians can agree on the real story (and they have a book with it all written down!).

What does all of this have to do with word meanings?

Point is that creationists ignore and distort facts because these facts are inconvenient and contradict their world view. Period. Once you do that you can no longer have any kind of real discussion.

But we evolutionists are doing the exact same thing as far as the creationists are concerned. For them, a creator is fact. And we are ignoring that "fact". For some, it seems to go beyond that. The 10 commandments is all the law we need. And the bible is more that a collection of very old writings by religious people seeking to improve the world as it existed.

While we may all share many common values, there are simply some points that do not afford any middle ground.

That all depends on which denomination/interpretation you believe. There is a clause where you cannot repent in your final days. Basically, you can't be a bastard your entire life and then just say "forgive me, I have sinned." However, some denominations don't actually believe in Hell and believe that everyone will eventually find their way to heaven after spending a good amount of time in purgatory.

Well.....in that case. Wherever I am (purgatory, hell, or heaven), at least I will be able to kick Osama Bin Laden in the balls and gouge out his eyeballs. Who knows, maybe I will die before him and end up tapping his 72 virgins in waiting before he gets there?

Just kidding.

Seriously, I find it disturbingly incomplete in terms of what happens in Heaven after you get there. If there are so many people there, I would think they would do even better deeds from there than when they were here on earth. I mean, look at al the people who join the peace corps or do other great work. Do they get up in heaven and help do God's work in preventing rape to muslims, jews, poor women (or men) in the wrong place at the wrng time? Gosh golly, you would think that if there really were a heaven, that all the do-gooders would be doing some good or better for mankind. All I can gather from the bible is that after you get to heaven, you are pretty much on retirement doing nothing....not a thing to help out the living. No mention of continuing on in heaven as on earth.

With overpopulation, I am starting to think that both God and the Devil are anti-social. They both got together, and said, "Dooood! How we gonna get all these feeloaders out of our respective cribs?" Then it hit them both, "Purgatory!!!!!".....and "Re-Incarnation!!!!"....then they both kicked everyone out of heaven and hell.

I don't know. Could happen.

Of course they aren't happy right now because we have the religious right out there trying to deny them the same rights that heterosexual people have. Look, I know plenty of happily married gay couples (in Massachusetts, where we at least gotten have one law right). The only unhappy gay people I know are those that have been made to feel guilty for being themselves or those who have experienced oppression because they don't have the same rights as everyone else. However, given the same rights (and far fewer judgemental people) and my experience is that they'll be perfectly content.

That's not quite what I've seen but maybe we should let this one go for now.
I'm not sure anyone ever expected to be blissful about having an abortion. "Woot! I get to have an abortion!" For most, I imagine it is an incredibly tough choice....but the point is that they are given the choice.

That might be an undersatatement. I've known women who were REALLY messed up over it many years after the fact.

Sure they have the choice but what creates the situation in the first place. Lets face it, most of our problems of our own making.
But it is blind faith. You don't know who wrote any of it. You were only told it was the Word of God.

Don't you see how circular that is? God's word is good because the word says God wrote it?

There is more to it. There are lots of books in the world. You don't think I believe all of them, do you? What do you think is different about this one?

An examination of many of our laws quickly shows that freedom is not always the highest priority.

All law lmits freedom.

A disagree. The Ten Commandments represent part of this nations haritage.

US currency has printed on it "In God we trust". My license plate says "In God we trust".

The first ammendment to the US Constitution says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Niether the Ten Commandments on a wall, "in God we trust" on our money or a cross or nativity sceen on public property constitutes a law of any kind let alone a law that respects an establishment of religion.
The definition of "tolerance" seems to be changing.

Granted on a literal reading of the first amendment but that's not how the courts interpret it. As far as the 10 commandments go whose commandments? Christians have made some minor changes and reordered them. And even among Christian denominations there are minor differences. So by putting your version over another's version on a public venue isn't that supporting one religion over another?

But, while there may be some complaints about the way gay adoption is treated, I'm not aware of any laws regarding "gay parenting". ie, A gay person or couple, that somehow manages to get children can legally parent them.
I find this quite insulting. The implication is that gay parents get their children in some less than proper way.

That all depends on which denomination/interpretation you believe. There is a clause where you cannot repent in your final days. Basically, you can't be a bastard your entire life and then just say "forgive me, I have sinned."

The Bible says that we are saved by Grace through faith. I think "faith" takes some time for most people to develop. The Bible also says that we must be reborn in the Sprit of God and that we become a new creation. A broken and contrite heart and repentance is part of this.

Who can say exactly quick you could really do it but I wouldn't advise waiting to the last minute.

We're also told that we won't be told exactly when Christ will come. Of course who knows when we are going.

Yes, I wouldn't put it off too long. But...it isn't just about going to Heaven or not going to Hell. It's about wanting to be right with God and have a relationship with Him now.
However, some denominations don't actually believe in Hell and believe that everyone will eventually find their way to heaven after spending a good amount of time in purgatory.

Jesus repeatedly mentioned the lake of fire but there is no mantion of purgatory.
I just want to know "who is right?" since not even the Christians can agree on the real story (and they have a book with it all written down!).

Look in "the book" yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom