Creating doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Imagination racing and asking questions is not a bad thing, seeking out advise from an experienced instructor will help make this whole experience a lot easier :wink:

What tanks do you have or do you intend buying to double up? Depending on what size/type of tanks will dictate what kind of valves you have to buy and the isolation manifold between them. Also depending on the size/type is the band sizing which you would attach to your BP (or techie BC if that is your thing - but i think you were going DIR werent you = BP/W?). There are a few references to how to put together a set of doubles, some considerations on the board as well as at places like [www.diveriteexpress.com]Dive Rite Express[/url] and others. I used their recommendations to put my recently purchased Genesis HP120's together - seems well set now with a few dives on them :wink:

What you might need:
Valves that look like K valves, but have an open hole to the side (opposite handwheel) that you would attach a manifold to, a manifold. Unless you are doing independant, then try to get lefts and rights. If you want to dive dual orifice post valves (ie accept a manifold) as singles you need some plugs too, most new valves can be purchased with these plugs. Expect around $150-200 for a set of valves & manifold.
Bands - suitable for size of tanks, wider bands are preferable, but they need to be appropriate to the tanks. Expect around $100-150 for a pair of bands.
Second 1st stage for your other post, possibly a whole new reg set up to allow you one dedicated to doubles and one to singles. ($$$$)
Doubles wing - depending on tanks size you need a wing with a wider fabric area in the middle of the cell than a singles wing. Expect $250-350
Bolts, nuts and washers - plenty of. Pennies compared to the rest, just get SS :wink: Depending on the doubles you use and your exposure protection you may have to change you BP out to either SS or AL as well. Expect $60-130

For caving thing HID, a few back up lights, a primary, safety and maybe some back up spools as well. When/where are you thinking of moving to in Florida?

This is just something you have to research, unless you have the bits put together out in front of you and someone experienced explaining (suggested before you do it), its hard to get your mind around the first time without something tangible. Hope that helps :wink:

Hey Simon, thanks for such an informative answer. I appreciate it. You do have a good memory regarding the BP/W. I was hoping to have done the DIR-F this year but I guess that will happen early next year and I am on the list for the first class available - I hope! I just paid for my hike across the Andes at the end of January which would have fitted me out nicely for a couple of wings but I had the opportunity, and have been wanting to do it, plus work are giving me three weeks off to do it, that I have to feel good about NOT buying the equipment this side of Christmas. :wink: I have to speak with the CEO this week to talk about relocation - I just moved to NY from Louisiana almost a year ago which means the lease is up on my apartment end of February. They pay for my apartment and he has a house which lies empty for most of the year down in Clearwater so by putting two and two together there may be the suggestion that I move in to that. That would be in March, if it happens.

One of my regular buddies has just got himself a double and we were going over his configuration but he has stopped diving for the season and didn't get to try it out. I have got my SS backplate and was going to get the webbing and d-rings from the LDS when I go for Rescue class on Wednesday. I don't think they are familiar with the DIR set up so I have downloaded OMS's harness set up to see if I can follow that. Doesn't look too complex and is something which I can do myself. Thanks for your help again.

PS. I have OMS LP steel 98s which my buddy thinks may be too heavy for a set of doubles but I have seen people on the boat with a set of 120s doubled!!!

Check out the GUE website for webbing instruction, not sure if Dive Rite Express has those as well - it isnt rocket science :wink:

98's are standard tanks to double, but i have heard they are a bit tough on taller people - not sure if that includes you. They are pretty standard for cave country and pretty much any standard isolation valve set would fit them as they are 3/4-in necks. Get some 8-inch bands and you are away!

I have HP120's doubled, but i can only imagine how large the LP120's are doubled or how much they weigh - uggh, horrible thought :wink:

Give a shout down in the FCD forum when you are looking to move in, intro yourself a bit and i am sure there will be folks out diving at that time.

Excellent, all sounds good. I am a shorty (5' 8") so I should be fine then - if I spend the winter working out!! :wink: Once I know my destination for next year I'll be looking in the FCD for sure. I already know some people who dive in FL so it would be good getting them out into warm water!!

Bob3:
What brand of valves do you have now?
Keep in mind that a "K" just means that it isn't a "J", "H", or "Y".
K's can be either yoke or DIN.

K or J designation came from 1950's U.S. Divers catalog number. K being and J's were both yoke connections with the J valve having a reserve lever. There was not a DIN option. The K designation may designate a DIN but I have not heard of it.

Just to follow up on the thread above - I am staying in NY for another year. This allows me to finally get my flights for Bonaire in April as I know where I will be living. I can also bear in mind the type of diving I will be doing for the majority of the year next year so get my gear according to that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom