Creassi Master Frogs and Ocean Reef Xpress

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hylian Loach

Registered
Reaction score
In Edmonds. Just north of Seattle. Home of Rick St
A little while age when I was looking for some big fins that could be used to really force me through the water I came across the cressi master frogs. I hade tried the Oceanic Vipers and was disapointed by their softness. Since these are made from the same material as the Gara 2000 (a very stiff fin by all accounts) I figured I would try them for scuba and snorkel. I wan't to use them for both scuba and snorkel And I was wondering about whether they are to heavy to use for snorkel effectivly. I know they may be better for getting down to the bottom easier than a real lite fin but thy are rather big.

I was thinking about using the Ocean Reef Xpress for a lite pair. They got great reviews online and seem like just the right size and stiffness for snorkel. Also, unlike most smaller lighter fins that are good for snorkel they have open heels so I can use them with boots.

So my question is whether or not this is a good idea. I haven't been able to find any reviews of the master frogs online except for a rather lengthy page about them that was very positive, I would like more info. I would like to know if someone can think of a single fin in the $150 range that would fulfill both these needs better than the two fins I mentioned.

Thanks.

Even though I occasionally scuba with the Cressi Master Frogs, they would make fine snorkeling fins as well. The blade is stiff and provides a good amount of snap. As the result, it can generate decent top of the line speed. At the same time, it's handles a variety of kicks. From a weight perspective, I think that they are pretty light. Lighter than the Mares Avanti Quattro and the ScubaPro Jet Fins.

1/2 way through the video, you can see the Master Frogs in action:
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=67907

The more I dive, the more I use the Jet Fins. While they aren't the speediest fins (I seldom need to go fast), they provide a great amount of control and are fine for short bursts of power.

ae3753:
Even though I occasionally scuba with the Cressi Master Frogs, they would make fine snorkeling fins as well. The blade is stiff and provides a good amount of snap. As the result, it can generate decent top of the line speed. At the same time, it's handles a variety of kicks. From a weight perspective, I think that they are pretty light. Lighter than the Mares Avanti Quattro and the ScubaPro Jet Fins.

1/2 way through the video, you can see the Master Frogs in action:
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=67907

The more I dive, the more I use the Jet Fins. While they aren't the speediest fins (I seldom need to go fast), they provide a great amount of control and are fine for short bursts of power.

Hmmm. Now that you mention it I handled a pair at a dive shop a little while ago and found that they were alot lighter than I remembered. I was actually told by the dive shop owner that he used them for full blown free diving and found they worked well. If thats true then I can only imagine they would work well for me since I am just going down about 30 feet on an average dive.

Unfourtunatly I recently discovered that the model has been discontinued... sort of. They may manufacture more if more orders come in but for now they are not making anymore of them.:shakehead:

Oh, and thanks for the video. Nothing beats being able to see them in action up close when you want to evaluate a piece of equipment.

Back
Top Bottom