Crazy idea or what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb

Hoser/English Translator, eh
Reaction score
I have read about people splitting their own fins to create splits, I have read about the advantages of Jet Fins for a variety of kicks and low silting.

So...has anyone taped up their splits? I wonder if you could use duct tape to seal the split together for some dives.

Feel free to file this under really stupid idea, I was just thinking out loud and wondering if anyone had tried it.:wink:

Why would you spend an outrageous amount of money for split fins, then try to eliminate the split. Seems like it would make more sense to simply buy reasonably priced conventional fins in the beginning.

There is one thing I've learned in my time on earth.

Sometimes you can spend a dollar to save a dime. And Mr. Murphy will weigh in on the situation sooner or later.

By that I mean you might cut up a pair of fins to create your own splits and it might work... for awhile and then they will fail on you when you most need them. (current conditions on a boat dive?)
This reminds me of the guy that took the pocket off his suit because the pocket was expensive and end up trashing the suit.

IMHO, borrow a pair of split fins first just to see if you even like them.

and an old pair of Aqua-Lung Compros. I wouldn't consider this myself as a real solution, I was just curious as to if anyone had tried it. You read of all sorts of modifications to dive gear people have made with mixed results, just thought someone might have a good story.

I'm actually a strong believer in the use the right tools for the job mentality. Each piece of equipment should be well thought out and used according to it's purpose. To this end, I consider fins to be somewhat like my rock climbing shoes, you have more than one pair depending on the climb/dive you are doing.

Recently saw a pair of Scubapro Jet Fins on ebay which someone had split right up the middle. Didn't bookmark them so don't know what they sold for.

mnflyboy

Mnflyboy once bubbled...
Recently saw a pair of Scubapro Jet Fins on ebay which someone had split right up the middle. Didn't bookmark them so don't know what they sold for.

mnflyboy

I seen those on ebay also.Makes a person wonder how much they went for doesnt it:confused:

Splitting a pair of Jet fins? Seems like a waste of a perfectly good pair of fins to me. I can understand, not advocate, buying them like that but why split them yourself?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom