crazy headache and nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they were rental tanks it is not necessarily the case that all the rental tanks were even filled on the same day. Most ops have lots of tanks and if one does not get used one day and the mix is right they will use it a different day. You were on 32% which is a standard mix.

I'd be curios to get an expert's / med professional take on that study as I have a hard time believing 32% would create a level of hyperoxia that would cause headaches. @Dr Simon Mitchell ?

It wasn't your post I was responding to.

I believe in order to burn more O2 and produce more CO2 you have to at the very least work your muscles to dump the resulting energy. You, out of 5 people, could get CO-contaminated tanks, for two days in the row. And so on: it's all not impossible, but to me the probabilities sound about on par with getting headaches from nitrox:

(Disclamer: I saw this on the Internet so it must be true)

Supplementary oxygen for nonhypoxemic patients: O 2 much of a good thing?

I hesitate to take the thread off on a tangent, but, I thought I ought to reply after the comments that my post created after I stated you feel better on Nitrox.

To some degree I understand that it is a subjective measurement.

However, from a personal point of view, and for those I dive with, we generally find air diving far more exhausting than the same dives on Nitrox. If anything we do far more extreme dives when we dive Nitrox, than when we are forced to use air. I am also aware that in an ideal world you would do a double blind study.

The best example I have is our Scapa experiences. Other trips have repeated the experience.
Scapa is located in the Orkney Isles. (Off the top of Scotland, where the German first world war fleet where scuttled). The dives are cold water dives. It is exceptional to do more than two dives a day. Often these include decompression. The capital ships lay between 42m and 24m, these are the morning dives. There are a few deeper dives, but these are not from the fleet. The afternoon dives are the block ships, these are extremely tidal, and shallow, these are the afternoon dives.
In the summer, the weather can be anything from a comfortable 20C and sunny, to snow and sleet. I've experienced just about every variation, from lazing in the sun to sweeping the snow off the deck before diving.

My first trip involved diving air, twin 10 litre cylinders. It was noticeable that in the evenings the whole group where generally washed out.
The second trip I was Nitrox qualified. Although Nitrox was still difficult to get other than from one 'technical' boat. We where able to get a fill by leaving the cylinders on the boat overnight.
My buddy and I both dived twins, with 3 litre cylinders of 50% Nitrox. Decompression was never to exceed more than 30 minutes (first dive). We decompressed on the 50%, after the end of the first dive, following an air table. What Nitrox was left, was then used for as long as it would last on the second dive, either for compulsory decompression, or for a 5 minute safety stop.
In general, we where more than twice as long in the water than the rest of the group .
On this occasion, we where not washed out after diving, this was even more noticeable towards the end of the week.

The third trip my buddy and I used Nitrox on the bottom and a rich mix for decompressing (on an air table).
We did have to medivac one of the air divers out for recompression half way through the week. (I subsequently found out he had a PFO - three chamber trips later!)

These days Nitrox is readily available, and the skippers prefer divers to use it.
Our practice now is to fill an optimum mix for the second dive. Then air top it for the following mornings dive (giving you a weak Nitrox), then optimum mix for the afternoon. This keeps the O2 costs down. Some will accelerate the stops, some will follow the bottom gas profile. Anyone accelerating a stop will chuck another 5-10 minutes on the end for safety.
It is extremely rare that we will have a diver diving air in Scapa, when we do, they are always far more fatigued than those using Nitrox.

Whilst I accept this isn't a proper study, the consensus is that we feel better on Nitrox. We don't always use Nitrox, especially on weekend trips, but on longer trips we always use Nitrox if we have the opportunity.
*** To some degree this is not an issue for me, I dive CCR, so I am always on the best mix.***

Whilst I am talking about UK diving. It is some of the best diving you can get any where in the world. However, you never quite know what you are going to get until you hit the water. Also, if you like wreck diving, we have had centuries of conflict, and bad weather, so our coastline is littered with wrecks, for history and marine life. Just remember, regular UK divers use a drysuit!

Gareth

So last weekend we went to Vancouver island and dove some wrecks, even though I did my nitrox class last year these were my first dives with nitrox, and I surfaced with a massive headache every time which subsided in 10 min completely on the boat. no deco dives and not even close by surface
dive 1 Saturday we did the Capilano on 28% 122ft max depth, 24 min run time it was super bad vis 3-5 ft from surface to 80 feet where it opened right up. perdix said I had 85 min of NDL left by the time i reached 15' for a 5 min stop this was the first wreck Id done without a line and was a free descent and ascent in whale snot. lowest NDL got to was 5 min
dive 2 saturday 1 hr 51min surface int. 28% we did a wall near the ship 117 feet 39 min total time lowest NDL got to was 4 min

dive 3 sunday- HMSC Saskatchewan totally fantastic dive worst headache from the 3 dives
101 feet 37 min total time on 32% lowest NDL got to was 11 min . I opted not to do dive 2 on it.

the more experienced divers said they figured it was CO2 retention.
the same guy filled all the tanks for the 5 of us at same time for the 5 of us diving OC the 6th member was diving a rebreather

I didn't notice if i was skipping breathes or anything my air consumption was right where it normally is unless I unconsciously do this with air and its just not as noticeable on air as nitrox.
Ive been to those depths before on air as well quite a few times but not quite as long.
I was also stressed out at work so im sure this may have played a factor.

anybody have any thoughts or insights?

Very unlikely to be CO poisoning given the short time to get relief as the affinity of CO to the Hb molecule is very high. My bet is on carbon dioxide being the culprit given all that is described as well as other posters noted.

I'd be curios to get an expert's / med professional take on that study as I have a hard time believing 32% would create a level of hyperoxia that would cause headaches. @Dr Simon Mitchell ?

32% times pressure, but I agree: its unlikely. From the stuff I read it seems equally unlikely that nitrox would make one feel better, yet plenty of people swear to it. In this very thread too.

My first trip involved diving air, twin 10 litre cylinders. It was noticeable that in the evenings the whole group where generally washed out.
The second trip I was Nitrox qualified. Although Nitrox was still difficult to get other than from one 'technical' boat. We where able to get a fill by leaving the cylinders on the boat overnight.
My buddy and I both dived twins, with 3 litre cylinders of 50% Nitrox. Decompression was never to exceed more than 30 minutes (first dive). We decompressed on the 50%, after the end of the first dive, following an air table. What Nitrox was left, was then used for as long as it would last on the second dive, either for compulsory decompression, or for a 5 minute safety stop.
In general, we where more than twice as long in the water than the rest of the group .
On this occasion, we where not washed out after diving, this was even more noticeable towards the end of the week.
The same results would be likely diving on air. If you do a slow ascent and as you described used whatever deco gas left over for the second ascent you would likely not be tired. You were in the water twice as long as the rest of the group because you made longer stops. That is why you felt better, not because of some magical elixir in your tanks.

The same results would be likely diving on air. If you do a slow ascent and as you described used whatever deco gas left over for the second ascent you would likely not be tired. You were in the water twice as long as the rest of the group because you made longer stops. That is why you felt better, not because of some magical elixir in your tanks.

We where in the water twice as long because our bottom time was significantly longer. They where on single cylinders, we where on twinsets. They where running limited or no deco, we where running up to 20 - 30 minutes.
The computers where set for air, there was no gas switching in those days. The only difference over our old practice was the decompression was on 50%.
I would partly agree with you if I hadn't been doing similar runtimes previously and only decompressing on air.

My experience has been the opposite. I have hundreds of decompression dives using air as my back gas and deco gas as well as hundreds more using 50% and 100% deco gas. I could never feel a bit of difference after a day of diving, nor could my buddies.

We are diverging from the OP.
Before I switched to CCR, when I was diving OC. I found when we started to use Nitrox for the decompression, that my bottom times increased, but my fatigue levels where reducing. Even when we started to accelerate the stops, the reduction in decompression time meant we could extend the bottom time and still stay within our dive window.
Maybe it was my increasing bioprene (fat layer), making the difference :).

The only time where I seldom noticed the difference between air and Nitrox was where we where diving in warmer water. My Malta diving has mostly been on air, with long emersion times, but generally shallower. But I've always put that down to long periods in shallow water at the end of the dive making the ascents super slow and being much warmer. A lot of that was down to the dives being shore dives with a camera, if we had the gas, there was always something to photograph.

Strangely enough, I'm the opposite.....if I have a pre-dive headache, taking a dive down (the deeper the better) my headache goes away! (I always use NITROX if available, don't know if that's a factor)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom