Crazy Cost of 2nd Bag when flying to Male Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are ready to book a live-aboard in the Maldives and just realized that Emirates airline charges $32 Cdn / Kg, ie about $11 USD / lb for a second bag. My wife and I typically travel with two 44lb (20Kg) each. This will cost us $2560 just to have a second bag. Ouch!!!!!

It seems that Emirates airline is the only airline that travels direct from Dubai to the Maldives so I am stuck. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Doesn’t sound right. Have you tried the Emirates Extra Luggage Calculator? We travelled to the Maldives from Stockholm on Emirates via Dubai recently on Economy Saver tickets and were allowed 30 kg each.
An extra 20 kgs would have been 400ish (US)dollars. Can’t imagine it would be very diffent for Canucks.

Last edited:
Thanks
I assumed the cost is for each way. Since we each have a second bag I did 20Kg x 32 x 4=2560. I will relook at their website.

I also have a concern as it states their carry on limit is 7Kg. I have a 22lb camera bag. Anyone know if they will weigh your carry-on?

Expedia.ca shows the 30kg weight limit is for the 1st bag and you have to pay for the weight of the 2nd bag. The Emirates web site seems to imply the 30Kg is a total allowance. Even in this case we would need to pay for an extra 10Kgx4x32= $1280. which is a lot on top of the already really expensive trip.

I carried a 35ish lbs camera bag as hand luggage. They didn't weigh it, but I think they are supposed to so don't count on it as a rule. But I wouldn't worry about 22 lbs.
And do you really need 50 kgs each? 30+30 kgs should be well enough for two dive equipments and some clothes (you won't need much on a resort). An extra 20kgs for photo equip, extra swim trunks and sun cream.

I carried a 35ish lbs camera bag as hand luggage. They didn't weigh it, but I think they are supposed to so don't count on it as a rule. But I wouldn't worry about 22 lbs.
And do you really need 50 kgs each? 30+30 kgs should be well enough for two dive equipments and some clothes (you won't need much on a resort). An extra 20kgs for photo equip, extra swim trunks and sun cream.
That’s what cargo pants and photography vests are for. Load yourself up with all the glass and anything that is heavy.

Another thing to consider is that your trip is a LOB. Unless you are doing a significant shore based add on, then you will not need much other than your dive gear. On most LOBs that I have been on, you can get by with a couple pairs of shorts & a clean t-shirt for each day. You will likely be able to pack everything you need into one bag (especially if they allow up to 30kg). As a worst case scenario, you might have to take (and pay for) one additional bag.

It may be time to take a really hard look at what you typically travel with (2 bags each at 44kg) vice what you really need for the trip. Be "ruthless" in what you decide to take. Take only what you need and you might just get it down to one bag (within the airline's limits) each.

Good luck with how ever you decide to do it and have a great trip.

Last edited:
Good point. On a liveaboard you need even less in the way of clothes. As a reference, I did fine for 10 resort days with two hard working pairs of swim shorts, two pairs of cotton shorts with (9) accompanying pairs of underwear for evenings and 7-8 T-shirts, two light cotton shirts, a hat and a pair of socks for trip home. Could easily have cut out one pair of shorts and one shirt as they never saw use. No extra shoes -- even flip flops are not needed on most resorts and def. not on a LoB.

Back
Top Bottom