Crazy Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimbalabala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've had my Cobra3 for 7 years and I've had the guts of it replaced under warranty once - maybe twice (my husband's also had to be fixed). It has crapped out and then started working again without servicing several times. It's just been unreliable. Because I've never felt like I could trust it as my primary I have used it only as a backup for most of the 7 years. My husband quit using his because of the unreliability of mine. We just got back from a dive trip and on the second day of diving I got a flashing message that included '202 ft' STOP ASC TIME. What the heck is that? I've never been to 202 feet! It never went away ... even after being back home for several days. We have now removed the battery and are considering using the thing as a paper weight. Btw, we replaced the battery right before the trip (as we do every year) just to be sure it had enough juice. I'm so disappointed. My next step is to get an old fashioned SPG gauge as my backup. My primary is an Oceanic HUD and I dread when it dies ... I love my mask.

I guess I'm just complaining.

I bought a Vytec from someone because the price seemed really good. I was using it as a backup computer. I recently bought a new computer and decided to sell off the Vytec. Someone asked me if it had the 'depth' issue. I didn't know what he was talking about. He explained that the Vytec had troubles with the depth sensor and would sometimes be way off. I searched the internet and found a few messages about this, including a few on this board.

I wrote to Suunto about this and how much it might cost to fix. After a number of painful back and forth message it was clear that I had to mail my computer (at my expense) to Hong Kong. I would have to pay for them to look at it and give me an estimate. They couldn't even give me a rough estimate for how much this might cost.

After all the messages I read, it felt like I'd just be throwing more money at a losing battle. I've decide to leave the computer in my pocket and after a season of diving, see if it has any wacky dive profile on it. If it looks okay I might sell it. If I see any wacky dive profiles I'm going to scrap it.

I'm just glad I didn't use it as my primary computer and possibly got bent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom