Crazy bioluminescence!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like I learned something new. That sounds really cool to see! Do they live in certain waters?

I haven't heard what the name of the phenomena is but we took a guided night dive (didn't need to be guided but otherwise we wouldn't have known about this) and we went out in the shallows by Alice and settled on the bottom and then turned the lights off. It was like an underwater fireworks display!!! The one element would go up, then a little string of them would blink several times as it falls back to the ground (this happening a million times all around us) Amazing!! I thought it was a crustacean spawn but I'm not sure - I'd love to hear the scientific explanation!!

String of Pearls???......

Last week was the full moon. The phenomenon is supposed to be most noticeable about 2 days after the full moon, which meant last Thurs night. Even on the night of the full moon the bio-luminescence was very noticeable.

One lady in our group did a guided dive on Thurs night with a lady from Wanna Dive who promotes her "Magical Night dives", focused on just that phenomenon. She was thrilled by the experience. I was busy doing a end of week barbeque for our group, and missed diving that evening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom