Craziest lift bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...raise the engine first then the boat. ...

The engine was never underwater. The boat sank because it filled with snow over the winter (the tarp/barrels that keep it from sinking got displaced). The engine was in storage.

"You could raise the Titanic with one gallon plastic milk containers and string if you had enough of them and places to attach them." Yup, your 'rope' and attach points only have to be as strong as the amount of each lift bag individually.

"You could raise the Titanic with one gallon plastic milk containers and string if you had enough of them and places to attach them." Yup, your 'rope' and attach points only have to be as strong as the amount of each lift bag individually.

Donald Duck did it with Ping Pong Balls....

of course Mythbusters had to try it too.....

[youtubehq]4MOJN07XRYw[/youtubehq]

Well, in March I started with this

Sunk.jpg

7 bait barrels and a short tow into the boat ramp I had this

Beached.jpg

A few hours latter and with a pump I had this

Afloat.jpg

The fun part was the water temp of 34F and a 2.5 hour dive to rig the barrels.

NICE!!!! Wish I could have seen that one!!!

Adam

Finally got the pictures from camp. First is about 1/2 way, second is 3/4+ raised, and the last is the end result. Enjoy - I sure did.

I love it.
As the say, where there is a will there is a way.

Cheers

Me and my friend lifted a fire-gutted boat from 70ft with 15 partially air-filled oil-drums last week. We sank the drums, tied them to various parts of the boat (anywhere we thought would hold) and then filled with a scuba tank and octopus hose without the reg- ie. feathering the tank open and closed to fill.

We used two 12L Steel tanks. Starting at 200 bar both tanks got to around 70 bar.
Thus 2x 12L x 130bar at 3ata would be about 1000L of air to start the lift.

The strongest part of the structure was the engine block so we had 8 drums attached to that part alone. I was bricking myself if the wood underneath was to give way while we were filling, but I guess Murphy was busy elsewhere that day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom