Craziest lift bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raftingtigger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What is the craziest lift bag you have ever used successfully?

I found myself is a situation this weekend where a summer camp's cargo boat had to get salvaged before the start of the season (in 1 week). The boat is used to move all of the campers group gear into and out of camp. Personal gear is hiked in.

Situation was: "Das Boot" is a open steel rectangular tub about 6' by 15' with a slightly angled bow. The stern has a cutout for the motor that extends about 1/2 way down the stern wall (OK my boat terminology is poor). The boat was sitting about 15-20' feet from shore with the prow in 6' of water and the stern in 10'.

Didn't bring my scuba gear with me - as I didn't know of the problem. We did have several masks, some ill fitting wetsuits (at least for me), an electric air compressor with a very long hose, and a gas powered sump pump. Not wanting to have to come back up (200 miles RT) I did some scrounging around camp for ideas.

My original idea was to take a long pole and push a heavy duty truck strap under the hull in several places and inflate lift bags to move it. I was looking for soft pallet bags designed to carry several hundred pounds and then line them with garbage bags. Well as most things happen, we didn't have what I wanted and without scuba gear that plan wasn't possible anyway. First, we were at nearly 7000' so our lung power was reduced. With the suit on (3mm) I could get down, but barely and my other suited diver (7mm) couldn't descend at all. The water at 60-65F meant that non-suited swimmers couldn't stay in long.

OK, to make a long and comical story shorter... we threaded nylon cam straps with hooks (think OSH) through both handles of 50 gal rubbermaid trash cans. These were attached anywhere we could (there wasn't much). Using the air hose we inflated the inverted barrels. It took about 5 barrels to lighten the boat enough so that the shore crew of about 10 camp staffers could move it. Each time the boat moved the barrels spilled some. But it worked. By the evening the boat was completely emptied and floating.

Before anyone attacks the safety... No one was ever under the boat at any time. So the only danger in a catastrophic handle failure was to the garbage barrels themselves. I'm not even sure that the boat was ever completely off the bottom until the job was completely done.

There had to have been someone who photographed the whole thing! :D

There had to have been someone who photographed the whole thing! :D

There was. I just don't have access to the photos yet. I will post some when they are available.

I need to see that. I have heard of one person using trash bags inside of an old army duffle bag. Trash bags held the air and the canvas bag kept them from exploding. No idea how or if they needed to vent them at any time. I still prefer my Subsalve 50 and 100 bags and my Dive Rite 50 lb.

Finally got the pictures from camp. First is about 1/2 way, second is 3/4+ raised, and the last is the end result. Enjoy - I sure did.

Attachments

• Das Boot 1.jpg
    Das Boot 1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 534
  • Das Boot 2.jpg
    Das Boot 2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 515
  • Das Boot floating.jpg
    Das Boot floating.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 503
Nice job! The only thing I could suggest other then what you did would have been to raise the engine first then the boat. As far as non traditional lift bags, anything that holds air and holds together will do. You could raise the Titanic with one gallon plastic milk containers and string if you had enough of them and places to attach them.

Very interesting to read about/see a "real world" improvised lift setup. And, talk about a "work barge" -- that boat looks just like a miniature barge!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom