Crater Lake Closes To Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crater Lake is amazing in and of itself, so it's worth seeing if you're in the area. The reasons to dive it are different for everyone- for me, it was the usual dive thing about seeing what most never do, plus the camaraderie of our group and the whole shared experience thing. I've always been interested in geology, so the rock formations were a plus.

yup, that is totaly where i am "at". hopefully they will be ready to let divers back in by summer.
do you have any recommendations on lodging up there?
thanks for the response.

I've been to CL, never dove it though. Just from standing around the rim on top, the colors are amazing! Being u/w would be quite a honor. I also would need a Sherpa to get my gear out, what a a strenuous hike out it would be, and yes you would stay overnight to acclimate. Once you leave and drive south there is another lake called Clear Lake. Check that one out too. You can find videos online, pretty spectacular too!

Yes, Clear Lake is definitely a "better" dive by just about any criteria you can think of. I read someplace that the best reason to dive Crater Lake is just to say you did. Another reason is "because it's not there". When I did it the first time, I figured I wouldn't bother again but ended up back there a year later.

In respects to lodging, we just drove up from the Eugene area the same day we spalshed so I'm not much help there. I believe you can stay at the lodge, and there's lots of campgrounds in the area. As far as cheap motels, Chemult is probably your best bet.

Looks like a lovely park to visit, and then I'd want to dive it I'm sure. I didn't see any info on pack mules tho. I think I'd need one to ride too.

Regardless of the local, using the zebra mussel risk is a weak argument. Dive gear gets cleaned much better than boats and have fewer locations for the critters to hide. In boats, you have water left in the exhaust and/or cooling systems, plus the trailer, prop and live wells. The boat inspection I have been subject to are a quickie once over the trailer looking for seaweed and asking the owner if they flushed the system and what lake they were in last.

My guess is they had too many divers and/or other issues and this was an easy excuse to close it. The National Parks don't have much money and sometimes turn off an activity is the result.

The local quarries here in Illinois have been invaded by zebra mussels for years now. No boats here either. Zebra mussels were brought in by divers that dived the Great Lakes. There are plenty of places for the little buggers to hide in dive gear, and no, not all dive gear is cleaned in hot water, which is really the best way to avoid them.

Good point, Dean.

We're losing colonies and maybe species of bats because cavers did not clean their gear.

thanks every one for their input. if we end up going we will definitely do lots of planning re "sherpa", and probably stay long enough to haul the weight and tanks in the day before the dive, and haul it out the day after. Also spend lots of time at the lake shore off gassing and maybe even sucking back some "Os" before heading back up the hill at the end of the day.

as for invasive species, i would hate to be the person that causes that-- if they ever allow divers back in we will be extra diligent with the gear . probably it will have been in mostly salt water before entering the lake any way....Plus, they say the parks guys will have a cleaning protocol that will have to be followed.

thanks again every body and happy diving
G

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom