Crappie, Rock Bass, or Other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This guy is from a fresh water spring here in Florida. I have seen them in and around the caverns. I don't remember seeing a red eye but SuPrBuGmAn has a picture that looks more red than mine. Any input would be appreciated.

crappie.jpg

Catch one...fillet it...eat it...if it taste great... it must be a crappie!

Sorry...I couldn't resist.

It looks like a Black Crappie.

Sharp gill plate...7 to 8 dorsal spines.

Dark blotches as opposed to vertical bands like its cousin, the White Crappie.

Somehow they don't taste as good on the computer screen :D.

I can taste it from here! Butter, onions, salt, maybe some taters and carrots. Yum, yum!

This is not a good angle for an ID, but if push comes to shove, I'd go with Stephen's black crappie. If you had the fish in a perfect side profile, it'd be easy to tell black crappie from rock bass. When I first saw this photo, my immediate reaction was rock bass. But it looks too long-bodied.

Now I'm doubting myself!

I agree...more pictures! Like archman said, if we had a dead-on side profile it would help....mouth relative to eye, number of dorsal and anal fin spines.

It just looks Crappie-like in the pic.

I'm tellin' ya...we need a taste test.

...when are ya havin' us over for dinner! :D

I'll be looking for more pics but in the meanwhile here is something for you to look at. It may not help much because it's dark - but here is a short movie of one of these guys in the cavern at Morrison Springs:

EDIT: For some reason it will not link here - you can go to my gallery and see it "Rock Bass or Crappie movie" is the title.

Back
Top Bottom