Crap... I'm in a bunk, in a room of men

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been the only woman in a cabin of guys before and it wasn't a big deal, I tried to change quickly when the guys were out of the cabin and wear clothes that could be used for a variety of situations (my pjs were also clothes I would wear under my drysuit, etc.). We didn't have a shower so there wasn't any primping. It was totally fine and we had a great time!

I shoul really use rental gear, especially wetsuits, but I really like my own stuff and their rental wetsuits are ugggggly :wink:

I'm right with you. I always prefer to bring my own gear if at all possible. I know my own gear fits and works for me, and I know it's well maintained. The only things I rent while traveling are tanks and weights.
You're exactly right on the non-essential types of things you can pack light.

I bunk with the guys on a fairly regular basis. You're on a dive trip and you're using the bunk to sleep in. If you're concerned, keep a pair of joggers and a t-shirt to quickly slip into in the morning. I normally sleep in a pair of shorts and my sports bra. My mates in their boxers. In the morning, we all groggily get into whatever we're wearing for breakfast (we tend to shower the night before after diving). It's not an issue. As for snoring, well if I manage to fall asleep in general (I'm an insomniac), then I sleep like the dead so it doesn't bother me.

Well it's done, and it was great!
No issues at all, one snorer (but only gently) one night owl, 3/4 early risers, no pukers. And everyone stayed really tidy.
I was only in the room to sleep and change, and that was all simple.

It might have been a different story if I'd been out in with a group of tight mates, but they were only aquaintences, so they didn't chat or muck around.

I'd love to liveaboard again in the future. :)

Agree - men easier to deal with than women (less stuff). Ear plugs, sport shorts and a sports bra and you're good to go.

If you are a back sleeper, the noise cancelling headphones are highly effective. A white noise machine(also there is a cell phone app) with earbuds will also help. However, I agree with the previous poster about letting your ears dry out so I would only use ear buds as a last resort. Additional suggestions are:
1) Prevent being a bathroom hog and bring leave in conditioners so that you won't take up more time than necessary in the shower.
2) Have a book bag/tote dedicated for your bathroom goodies only. Enter and leave the bathroom with all belongings in bag.
3) Remember that guys are probably worried about getting busted waking up with a stiffy. Face the wall when they get up.
4) No matter how clean the guys are, you still have to contend with the 'guy smell'. A discreet blast of air freshener is a good thing. Although with that many guys you may need to emulate the movie 'Seven' and hang several dozen air fresheners through out the room.

No issues at all, one snorer (but only gently) one night owl, 3/4 early risers, no pukers. And everyone stayed really tidy.

It might have been a different story if I'd been out in with a group of tight mates, but they were only aquaintences, so they didn't chat or muck around.

Congratulations... glad you had fun!!

Brimnf along a squirt bottle that way if they snore ....just squirt them like I do with my dog

Glad to hear that. So you saw a lot of Minke whale?

I'm thinking of doing this liveaboard in the future. This coming November I'll be with Spoilsport to see the potatoe cod in Cod Hole.

Well..I guess I learned one thing from this thread...people who have shared cabins with me must hate me....apparently i've been known to snore, fart, be the last to bed every night, and puked...we're all human aren't we?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom