Cramping in Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seansrs36

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When I am on my three dive of the day I seem to have an issue in getting cramps when I use my Dry Suit. I rarely had this issue when wearing a wetsuit. Anyone have any thoughts on why this could occur?

Thanks

Last edited:
Cramping.... The only thing that comes to mind is perhaps you aren't drinking enough water when diving dry. The crapping thing could be related to poor training.

Do you have pee valve to permit good hydration? Dehydration is a classic cramp trigger.

Pete

I have a pee zipper. I drink Gatorade all the time. I am just wondering if since I am using stiffer fin this could cause it.

I have a pee zipper. I drink Gatorade all the time. I am just wondering if since I am using stiffer fin this could cause it.

Yes, if you're kicking a paddle like your split fins, you will cramp.

Gatorade is also only useful as an addition to water intake for the electrolytes and sugars. Try only drinking Gatorade after 2 or 3 waters. I also don't like flutter kicking in my paddle fins, my legs prefer the frog kick a lot more.

Peace,
Greg

If your drysuit fins are more aggressive than what you have trained for then you can certainly form cramps.

What I have run onto is getting buoyant in the legs. This usually happens near the end of the dive as the depth gets shallower and trapped air expands. Gradually it takes more effort to move your legs down and the cramp will start. The solution is to get into a somewhat foot down orientation for a moment to let your legs vent.

Pete

Eat more bananas!!!:bigmonkey:

Back
Top Bottom