Cracked clipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wookie

Proud to be a Chaos Muppet
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I heard from a reliable source, who called American Diving to confirm, that the clipper had cracked just forward of the superstructure, through the keel. This is posted on the CHUM website, also. Has anyone actually laid eyes on this crack personally? Does it open the wreck up for easier penetration? CHUM has a trip down there (I think) next weekend. They are looking for a few others to help fill out their boat with American Diving. I wish I could go.

I heard from a reliable source, who called American Diving to confirm, that the clipper had cracked just forward of the superstructure, through the keel. This is posted on the CHUM website, also. Has anyone actually laid eyes on this crack personally? Does it open the wreck up for easier penetration? CHUM has a trip down there (I think) next weekend. They are looking for a few others to help fill out their boat with American Diving. I wish I could go.

Hi there,

Talking with Tim this weekend at the Texas Expo he really has the first hand information on the condition of the clipper. I believe he was telling me it was minor and not significant.

Tim (Amerrican Diving Company) would be our best resource of information as you said earlier.

Shawn O'Shea

cracked----from a storm?? ie Ike??

I would think Dolly did more damage to it than Ike did, but it may have been a combination of the two.

I would think Dolly did more damage to it than Ike did, but it may have been a combination of the two.

understand---had actually forgotten about Dolly---Seems like we're only used to late season storm's in the last 10 years or so ie Mitch(re. our house on Roatan) and Lilly, Rita('bout blew us away), Gustav(just scared the crap out of us) and Ike(almost a Rita II to us)..........

From what I hear, they noticed a small crack after Dolly, but there was a lot of water moving around down there during Ike.

The crack is reported to be 8' at the widest, narrowing as it gets closer to the sand. Should make for an interesting dive.

Anyone wanna check it out with us on the 18th?

Geezeeee.......... we went from a minor and not significant crack to one now that is sporting an 8ft. span at some point in the fracture.

It's a good size crack. Pics are posted here:
Clipper Dipper.

There's still room on the boat on Saturday if anyone wants to come along.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom