Cozumel...what to take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for DAN Insurance.

Scuba Diver Accident Insurance ? Insurance for Scuba ? DAN | Divers Alert Network I never leave home without it.

It has been mentioned that if you dive with a Cruise contracted dive operator and "anything" happens that might delay you the ship will either wait or fly you to the next port of call. That in it self is like insurance. The cruise lines screen these contractors pretty well and the dive operators want the cruise line's business too. So you will "most likely' have a very enjoyable trip. I did when I took two dive excursions on a cruise once. The down side is often the size of dive groups. That is a hit or miss. One stop I had about 15 divers from 3 ships and the other port there were 5 from 2 ships. Coz it could be a very large group. If you go with a non-cruise contracted dive operator just plan your schedule accordingly to allow plenty of time to get back to your ship. Plenty of taxis and quite a few dive operators will pick you up & bring you back with plenty of time to put your gear back on the ship and return to town for some shopping. It would be my guess, from what I have seen, most people who miss the boat have also been visit Mr. Tequila...if you take my hint.

I did my AOW in Puerto Rico a few days before our cruise so I had all of my equipment. But since your VW is a little limiting I recommend your mask, snorkel and fins at a minimum; these you can use on beaches at other ports. If you own computers and regs then you might bring those along too. Bulky BCDs...leave at home. No Dive knives, the cruise security will make you check them in, but you can take them as you leave the ship daily...just a unnecessary hassle.

Have a great trip and enjoy the cruise.

~Oldbear~

I Have a quote from Martin and an email to Allison for our own boat with modern equipment. For less than $100 more than Sandollar, with wetsuits included, it seems like a no brainer. Drink a little less on the boat and have a first class first ocean dive experience. By the way, the response from this forum has been great. Thanks to everyone who has replied. I'll post pics in late October!
Thanks again.
Jay.

Sounds like you're off in the right direction!:)

First ocean dives, one 13 year old...

I think the OP that the cruise ship "recommends" might be a better fit.

As I said, it is not a knock on Aldora, but it is probably a better fit.

Seriously, so who would you recommend???........& BTW, you can also dive 80's with Aldora, so I'm guessing you know of a dive op that makes current-LESS dives there........What you may be trying to say is CZM may not be the place..........:)

I don't think that this has been mentioned before.

If the boat has a problem and comes to port late, unless you book your dives through the ship, you dives may be cancelled by the independent dive firm. This actually happened to many people on a cruise we took in 2011. We booked through the ship and were able to make both our dives. A number of other people who had booked trips independently missed the scheduled dive boat departure time and were not able to dive.

Almost every trip we've ever been on there has been at least one person who had problems with rental gear, hard breathing regs, leaking regs, autoinflating BCDs, holes in the BCD, ill fitting gear. etc. The dives had to be aborted in a couple of cases. The best one was when the dive firm had an 10 year old, 80 pound girl, wear an adult sized BCD with an AL80. If you have all your own equipment take it.

Also, a couple of weeks ago, while we were in Cozumel on a regular trip, one of the divemasters said something about all of the Sand Dollar boats being in the marina. Is Sand Dollar still in business and in the business of catering to the cruise ships?

You definetly need to verify with the op what their policy is for a late arrival.

I know that when we stayed on the island, we got a call one day delaying our dive time to 10:00 (from an already delayed 9:00 start time) because of a late cruise ship.

I always use my own equipment, but if I was going to do a cruise, & only diving one stop, I'd consider using rental equipment, because of the space issues on a ship. I would definitely take my own mask though. Maybe if I was diving every port, I'd consider taking my stuff, but for one port, I don't think I would.

I don't know anything about Sand Dollar, so I can't help you there. Blue Angel does a late morning dive that caters to cruise shippers. The DM's are very good and work with novice divers quite often. I'm not sure but I think they pick you up at the cruise ship pier and take you back to the shop for equipment fittings before heading out & it may include lunch when you get back, but I'd check with BA to be sure.

Blue Angel keep up with their rental equipment, I've been on the boat with many people using rentals from them and have never seen an issue. I'm pretty sure my wife has rented a wetsuit from them when she was getting too cold using just a skin. We both generally use a 3mil full suite when diving on Coz in April/May. I used a .5mil for many years and thought I was comfortable until buying the 3 & realized how much more comfortable I was in it.

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2014 at 12:35 PM ----------

Ok, just checked with Eva at BA. They have an 11am boat, that is primarily for "mainlanders" coming over to dive Coz for the day. BA has a special permit to pick those people up at the Ferry pier. The boat then phones sizes in to the dive shop on the way from the ferry pier to the shop, so fitting of rental equipment goes faster.

As I said before, and she confirmed, these dives are usually novice divers, for the most part, so you will be with liked experienced people & well taken care of. It DOES include lunch.

We occasionally do this dive for our first boat dive of the trip, because it's an 'easy dive' & not being a morning person, I can sleep in a little at least one day of my vacation.

They usually do Santa Rosa Wall for the first dive (beautiful dive) & I'm not sure what for the second, they used to do Paradise Reef for the second, but I don't know if anyone is diving that because of the new cruise ship pier construction tearing it up, maybe Chankanaab Bolones or one of the other near 'shallows' for a second dive.

This dive is open to cruise shippers as well, but you will have to come up to the hotel to get on the boat. about a $5 cab ride from the cruise ship piers.

They also have to ability to do a late morning, or any time, "private dives" for a group of 4 or more...contact the shop for details.

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2014 at 12:39 PM ----------

I Have a quote from Martin and an email to Allison for our own boat with modern equipment....
Thanks again.
Jay.

Can't go wrong with either one of them as well. Dive with Martin has a bit of an advantage as there office is literally at the end of the International Pier.

My detective work shows that you will be in port from 900 AM to 400 PM, docking at Puerta Maya. All of that is subject to change.

I strongly suggest checking with Aldora. (Aldora.com)

Reference cruise ship folks: "Special schedules for cruises & mainland divers We want you to dive NO MATTER WHAT so we have a special late departure to cover most cruise ship and mainland diver's schedules, with the same Aldora Quality Dive Service."

They have multiple boats and if they say they will get you out...they will.

As for Santa Rosa wall, the section that I typically do is not where I would send people on their first ocean dive. I am not an instructor but with the wall starting about 65 feet down and nada to see above that, I would not recommend it. There are several Palancar sites that would allow a get comfortable period in a sandy area and options for being on the ocean or shore side with reef available at a better range of depths.

Do inquire about a second divemaster. Even thought that will add a bit to the cost, it should allow better attention to your family for your situation.

If timing allows it, pick a dive op that makes a stop at a beach club. Even if only an hour, at least you get some feet in sand time.

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2014 at 12:28 PM ----------

These are new divers. Check with the boutique dive op Aldora? What, so they can get steel 120's?

Not saying anything bad about Aldora, I just don't think they cater to the new diver coming off a cruise ship.

Have you ever dove with Aldora? They get novice divers.

Dive with Martin has a bit of an advantage as there office is literally at the end of the International Pier.

If you come in at Puerta Maya (most carnival ships) is it faster to taxi to the Caleta or to the International Pier?

One of the reasons I chose not to go with the cruise ship operator was there were too many reviews of Santa Rosa as the first dive. When I contacted the operator (sand dollar at the time) they told me that the first dive was usually to 80 feet, or a bit deeper, and the second to 60 feet. They don't modify that (I ran into this same problem in Roatan, which really made me start wondering if I'm the only cruise ship diver who only has an OW certification and prefers not to ignore that too much). First, I wasn't sure I'd be willing to go under 60 ft at all, and a private op guaranteed that she'd keep me above that if I felt comfortable, and 2- this was my first ocean dive. I wanted a bottom (even if I wasn't quite at it) not a wall. I was happy to find an operator who would work with me as a beginner, and not just go with the normal routine regardless of who they picked up. I think most valet ops will be willing to do that for their divers.

If you look at the following webcam there is a relatively short pier closest to the camera. Walk in off of that and the first building to the right is Dive with Martin I believe.

The first long pier is the International Pier and the distant...yet close..pier is Puerta Maya. You should be able to walk to DWM from Puerta Maya but I have never done it.

Cozumel, Quintana Roo - Webcams de México

It looks like there is only one ship in port when they arrive so assuming no issues, they should be at Puerta Maya. Today there were Carnival ships at all three piers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom