Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello. I just went today, sorry. It was good day. mantas too. I'm scheduled back sunday with a huge group that has been pushed up from next week because of the upcoming bad weather that will close the tours for most of next week we figure.

No worries, I heard through Jose that you were going out Thursday and Sunday.

Trip Report:

We left on the 7am ferry from Coz to PDC on Friday. (Be there ~30 minutes early... the Winjet ferry was full.)

The ferry was bout 15 minutes late arriving to PDC.

~8:10am - One of our guides, Cora, met us in front of Senior Frogs right off the pier. We made up some time on the ride to Cancun as traffic was light and the driver was speedy.

~9:30am - Arrived at the northern most marina. After a ~15m restroom stop and lite snack everyone loaded on the boat and we were off.

~11am - I counted about 50 boats across the horizon as we were arriving to our jump point. Most boats had left by our 2nd jump (later arrival due to 7am ferry from Coz).

The guides estimated there were approximately ~12 whale sharks in the vicinity (more certainly across the entire area serving all boats). I have photos from the boat with at least 3 in view within ~125 meters. Also got a photo from the boat with a Whale Shark and Manta feeding side by side. Didn't see the manta on our jumps, but it's in the UW video shot that day.

Note - The guides indicated were were only going to get two jumps with a somewhat cramped boat of ~9 people... I would have been quite disappointed with only the first two jumps. We ended up making 3 jumps, with the 3rd lasting quiet a bit longer due to the WS turning and making a second pass. We probably could have talked the guides into a 4th jump, but we were quite tired at that point... those life jackets add a lot of drag and it takes a lot of energy to out swim a whale shark from tale to mouth. (Advice - Don't be the first to jump so you can observe the situation and have a game plan to maximize your time as it goes quick.)

~12:20pm - We were on our way to Isla Mujeres.

~1:30 to 2:30pm - Light lunch on the boat @ the Isla Mujeres party beach. A younger group would have wanted more time at the beach, but I was happy to trade the time (or all of it) for the 3rd jump with the whale sharks.

Short trip back to the Marina ~2:45 arrival. Rest room break, outdoor fresh water rinse, change of cloths for anyone that wanted it and then to the taxi van to PDC. Traffic was a little heavier on the return trip to PDC but made it by ~4:15pm.

~4:20pm - Quick walk to the pier and in the very long line back to Coz. (No time to spend in PDC... we were near the back 1/3 of the ferry line and the boat was full. Had we missed the 5pm ferry, next departure 7pm.)

All in all, I'm glad we made the trip as Whale Sharks were on the bucket list.

No worries, I heard through Jose that you were going out Thursday and Sunday.

Trip Report:

We left on the 7am ferry from Coz to PDC on Friday. (Be there ~30 minutes early... the Winjet ferry was full.)

The ferry was bout 15 minutes late arriving to PDC.

~8:10am - One of our guides, Cora, met us in front of Senior Frogs right off the pier. We made up some time on the ride to Cancun as traffic was light and the driver was speedy.

~9:30am - Arrived at the northern most marina. After a ~15m restroom stop and lite snack everyone loaded on the boat and we were off.

~11am - I counted about 50 boats across the horizon as we were arriving to our jump point. Most boats had left by our 2nd jump (later arrival due to 7am ferry from Coz).

The guides estimated there were approximately ~12 whale sharks in the vicinity (more certainly across the entire area serving all boats). I have photos from the boat with at least 3 in view within ~125 meters. Also got a photo from the boat with a Whale Shark and Manta feeding side by side. Didn't see the manta on our jumps, but it's in the UW video shot that day.

Note - The guides indicated were were only going to get two jumps with a somewhat cramped boat of ~9 people... I would have been quite disappointed with only the first two jumps. We ended up making 3 jumps, with the 3rd lasting quiet a bit longer due to the WS turning and making a second pass. We probably could have talked the guides into a 4th jump, but we were quite tired at that point... those life jackets add a lot of drag and it takes a lot of energy to out swim a whale shark from tale to mouth. (Advice - Don't be the first to jump so you can observe the situation and have a game plan to maximize your time as it goes quick.)

~12:20pm - We were on our way to Isla Mujeres.

~1:30 to 2:30pm - Light lunch on the boat @ the Isla Mujeres party beach. A younger group would have wanted more time at the beach, but I was happy to trade the time (or all of it) for the 3rd jump with the whale sharks.

Short trip back to the Marina ~2:45 arrival. Rest room break, outdoor fresh water rinse, change of cloths for anyone that wanted it and then to the taxi van to PDC. Traffic was a little heavier on the return trip to PDC but made it by ~4:15pm.

~4:20pm - Quick walk to the pier and in the very long line back to Coz. (No time to spend in PDC... we were near the back 1/3 of the ferry line and the boat was full. Had we missed the 5pm ferry, next departure 7pm.)

All in all, I'm glad we made the trip as Whale Sharks were on the bucket list.

Good to hear Andy. Cora is great. We had 48 people from Cozumel on sunday because of the bad weather that is here now. We got everyone reschuled for sunday and it went pretty good. I got em all back on the 5 pm ferry. Tough job herding cats.....its not too often we do that amount from Cozumel. No tours now till saturday when the weather improves.

Good to hear Andy. Cora is great. We had 48 people from Cozumel on sunday because of the bad weather that is here now. We got everyone reschuled for sunday and it went pretty good. I got em all back on the 5 pm ferry. Tough job herding cats.....its not too often we do that amount from Cozumel. No tours now till saturday when the weather improves.
I was one of those people, we were with Rollen ( SP) ? She was great by the way!

Reactions: JFS
I was one of those people, we were with Rollen ( SP) ? She was great by the way!

Thanks. Rollin is fun girl. Glad you enjoyed your day. We just beat the crazy weather too. Its Shut down all week. We resume tours on the june 23. Dont forget to give us a review if you were satisfied. Thanks.

Great great video and reports, thanks for sharing. Here in HMP UK people with two jabs may be able to go to Mexico if the rules are loosened a little bit. My hubby and I would love to do this trip. How much do these day trips cost ?

Does anybody have a recommendation for a stay in Cancun or in Isla M ? We will make Cozume the main stop, hope to have two and a bit week.

Thanks a lot everybody !

Water conditions are getting better. Here is video from yesterdays tour and a pic from fridays awesome manta experience...so many mantas. Id post a video of the mantas but then we would have a stampede of all the scubaboarders coming down....

mantas4.jpg

That's my oldest In the pink shorts, him my wife and daughter went, they had blast and are enjoying making me and the youngest jealous we decided not to make the pilgrimage.:poke:

That's my oldest In the pink shorts, him my wife and daughter went, they had blast and are enjoying making me and the youngest jealous we decided not to make the pilgrimage.:poke:

This is from the day before your family went. Crazy you may see so much in the water. It changes day to day but some incredible days we've been having.
https://www.facebook.com/cozumelwhalesharktours/

Once again its whale shark season in the the Mexican Caribbean. As in past years Blue H2o Cozumel is giving a 10% discount for Scubaboard members. Plan and book now for a once in a lifetime experience. Group rates available. www.blueh2ocozumel.com

I'm about to book a tour in June. How do I get the scubaboard discount?

Back
Top Bottom