Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We go everyday and I have never seen what you are saying happened. All boats must have permits to do the whale shark tours and guides / captains adhere to the rules. It is not a free for all as you say. The boats do not coral the "pod" Each boat will have 10 passengers and it is 1 guide with 2 people in the water. Life jackets mandatory. Never have I tasted gasoline in the water in my personal 400 + days of swimming with whale sharks, even when there is a lot of boats in the area. Sunscreens are prohibited to be used in the area. The Cozumel tour has a later start due to ferry schedule so there is a lot less boats in the whale shark area. FYI whale sharks are not whales, they are fish. They are not in pods, they school. The Isla Mujares area is know to be one of the largest aggregations in the world.

We go everyday and I have never seen what you are saying happened. All boats must have permits to do the whale shark tours and guides / captains adhere to the rules. It is not a free for all as you say. The boats do not coral the "pod" Each boat will have 10 passengers and it is 1 guide with 2 people in the water. Life jackets mandatory. Never have I tasted gasoline in the water in my personal 400 + days of swimming with whale sharks, even when there is a lot of boats in the area. Sunscreens are prohibited to be used in the area. The Cozumel tour has a later start due to ferry schedule so there is a lot less boats in the whale shark area. FYI whale sharks are not whales, they are fish. They are not in pods, they school. The Isla Mujares area is know to be one of the largest aggregations in the world.

I can vouch for JFS, I was on his boat last June and this is very accurate. Great service and fun. Me and my wife were 2 of the only ones to not get seasick lol

But I will say - buckle up and dramamine up, its a rough gut scrambling ride (doesn't matter which boat you take).

After last weeks weather we were finally able to start. Great weather and saw about 15 sharks. Whale shark from the front.
alison.ky.leungwm.jpg

Did this last year with my brother. Early June. Plenty of whale sharks. Super fun day.

Reactions: JFS
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom