Cozumel vs Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Yep, I am asking to compare/contrast the two. Yes, its like going to a vette Web site and asking about dodge vipers but I want the low down from anyone who has been to both. One is shore diving, one is drift...I know that. We went to Cozumel a few years ago and were so disappointed we didn't go back. Too many divers swear by cozumel that we are seriouslying looking at it again in July. This time we will dive with blue xtsea. Is it worth taking my camera? last trip current was to high and not pics were taken. So good/ bad/ugly give it to.me. Why one over the other? Thanks Bill and DeeDee

Let me ask this first.. Why were you so disappointed the first time in Cozumel?
Do you prefer static dives where you can really get into taking pictures?

Beyond the above questions, I have 100's of dives with Blue XT~Sea.. Excellent choice..

Marianne (non-diver) and I have been to both and enjoyed both. As you know from your experience the diving is different. If photography is a big part of your dive trip then it can be more challenging with the currents on Cozumel. But if you frequent this sub-forum you also see the beautiful pictures that are taken on Cozumel. You can look at it as an opportunity to develop your diving and photographic skill set. When we went to Curacao we stayed at an AI and while it was very nice with a good beach it is not something we would repeat. We did go into Willemstad several times for dinner and were impressed. Why we choose Cozumel as a regular destination (although we do try other places) is actually not dive related since I would dive either place at the drop of a hat. We stay near town and find Cozumel and the city of San Miguel to be an exceptionally friendly, walkable, and safe place. While I am diving Marianne walks for miles along the waterfront and in the town and has never had a negative experience. We chose a different restaurant every night and have developed a list of favorites that we frequent but we make it a rule always to try at least two new restaurants each trip. We find the people of Cozumel to be genuinely welcoming with a positive outlook on life. Cost is also a big factor for us. We can do almost two trips to Cozumel for what the cost of one trip to Curacao would be for us. Naturally that would differ for you since airline, hotel, rental car need, and many other things would factor into the equation.
Pedro-Pablo, the main DM, at Blue Xt-Sea is one of the best.
Enjoy your trip and safe diving.

Last edited:
I've been to both, two very different destinations, both excellent, complimentary. Rather than visit the same location, time after time, I have tried to get some diversity in my trips. I'd return to either

To me, this is like asking which is better, filet mignon or pecan pie. :D

filet mignon
Of course a good stout is better than either.

Last edited:
For my wife and me, choosing a dive trip is as much about what happens when we're not in the water as when we are. We like Cozumel because we like Mexico. We liked Curacao for the variety of things to do and the Dutch colonial history.

Been to both Cozumel and Curacao. My vote is for Cozumel by a fathom or two. My observations are that in Cozumel the reefs are healthier and the quantity and size of fish are greater. Also, there is nothing that even comes close in majesty to the Palancar sites and Columbia. I enjoy reef structure. Not all the dives in Cozumel are drift dives, but I do enjoy the experience for variety's sake. There is shore diving in Curacao, but I have always gone the boat-diving route when there. Bonaire is where I go for shore diving. Not sure if I will return to Curacao for a dive trip, but it does have some nice beaches for a mixed holiday. Also, I personally just prefer the vibe of Cozumel over Curacao.

Why were we disappointed with cozumel diving? High current, Slowwwww boat (our fault, we choose a poor dive boat), left dive master behind and we had to go back for him (our fault, we should have bailed right then) ((and yes as you laugh and say "no way" they really did leave him behind)) poor vis (maybe wrong time of year), little sea life (again poor choice of dive boat) , stayed at AI (hotel cozumel ) and were very disappointed in food (hmmm, yep our fault again). After trip was over we crossed Cozumel off our list. l accept we did not due our research and many of our concerns were caused by us. But bottom line we were unimpressed with the diving. Our favorite carribean dive locals are little cayman and bonaire. Must we have no current to enjoy a dive? No. So many people love Cozumel our trip must have an anomaly hence why we are considering going back. We like to try new places but think we need to give Cozumel a second chance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom