Cozumel vrs. Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dhboner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm in the early stages of planning a dive trip with my boys. I took them to the Dominican Republic last year (only place I could afford at the time). This year we are looking at either Cozumel or Belize. I have been to Coz twice and love the place but none of us has been to Belize, although we keep hearing from local divers that in a lot of ways the diving is better than Coz ("better" is always subjective).

I was hoping that someone who has been to both destinations could compare/contrast the experience. I know my boys would love Coz but I like the idea of diving a location that I have never been.

Bob

Why not broaden your experiences? You've been to Cozumel twice, go see somewhere else. There are a lot of other places to try out there.

It is very difficult to compare/contrast the two. Different countries, different cultures, different types of diving, etc., etc. I doubt you would regret giving Belize a try. Outside of Belize City, you should find things very comfortable (it is a place to transit through only). English is the first language. Costs can be kept low by staying on Ambergis Caye in a condo and doing your own cooking - easy.

If you do go to Belize, try to extend your time to spend some time inland in the jungle. Take a look at Ian Anderson's Caves Branch (fellow originally from Vancouver) for a fantastic experience in the jungle.

Bill

Belize:
B0000245.jpgB0000247.jpgB0000312.jpg

Why not broaden your experiences? You've been to Cozumel twice, go see somewhere else. There are a lot of other places to try out there.

It is very difficult to compare/contrast the two. Different countries, different cultures, different types of diving, etc., etc. I doubt you would regret giving Belize a try. Outside of Belize City, you should find things very comfortable (it is a place to transit through only). English is the first language. Costs can be kept low by staying on Ambergis Caye in a condo and doing your own cooking - easy.

If you do go to Belize, try to extend your time to spend some time inland in the jungle. Take a look at Ian Anderson's Caves Branch (fellow originally from Vancouver) for a fantastic experience in the jungle.

Bill

Belize:
View attachment 119926View attachment 119927View attachment 119928

Hi Dhboner:

I posted a similar question earlier in the week and you might find the replies helpful. Look in this form for Cozumel vs. Ambergris Caye. My husband and I have been to Coz numerous times and decided we really should spread our wings a bit....even though it's a little cheaper and easier to get to Coz from PHX than it is to get to Belize. We're headed there July 7-14 and we're looking forward to the similarities and differences. I've been reading the Belize forum here on SB to get additional information about what to expect. It's amazing how "quiet" that forum is compared to this one! That's why I came here to post my question....I knew I'd get lots of feedback!

We have done both Belize and Cozumel and prefer Cozumel because of the diving, food, and overall cost. Having said that, if Belize was easy and inexpensive to get to, we would go again. We stayed on Ambergris Caye in a condo and dove at Ambergris and did one day of diving in Southern Belize around Turneffe. The food was good on the island and the overall atmosphere was very different from Coz...much more relaxed and a lot less crowded. We would spend our afternoons biking around the island and felt perfectly safe doing so since most of the vehicles on the island were golf carts! Check out the Palapa Bar on the northern? end of the island!

The diving was different - spur and groove formations that were very interesting. We did one dive where we had a "pack" of grouper following us like dogs. That was really neat! We did another dive that the divemaster introduced as a "drift" dive. Having dove Coz many times, I thought great! No work, just drift along that will be a nice change here...well, it was more of a "swim your heart out" or drift out to see dive...I guess their definition of drift is much different!

I love Coz...and we are going there again next month, but Belize is a great destination too!

May I pose a follow up question to the OP's original question? If airfare was the same ($0 using using frequent flier miles), and I've been to Cozumel before, should I go to Belize or Cozumel?

I've been to Coz. Just returned from Ambergris last night. I was uninterested in going back to Coz again. But I would go back to Ambergris in a heart beat, and do indeed plan to.

Coz of course has excellent diving, if you go for drift diving. Viz is great. Fish life is fine. Beaches are horrible. And life on land is not very interesting, at least to me. It's a place for diving, with comfortable resorts where you can off-gas and ready yourself for your next dive. But watch out for the cruise ships dumping throngs of happy shoppers into the center of town.

Ambergris is more understated and laid back and the main town, San Pedro, retains a strong local cultural flavor. And the cool propeller plane puddle jump from Belize City to SP sets the tone--I sat in the copilot's seat, with a total of 8 passengers (and the plane was full). "No shoes, no shirts, no problem," that's their motto and it obtains everywhere. Right now is high season, and my wife and I kept asking each other, Where are the throngs? Nowhere to be found, thankfully. There are loads of restaurants, from very local to more upscale, and the food is always fresh and sensational. The ubiquitous hot pepper sauce is habernaro and wonderfully deadly (we love spicy food). The people are over-the-top friendly, infectiously so. The island is safe. I left wetsuits and shoes and other stuff on our villa porch, and sometimes didn't even lock the door when going out. No problem. As for diving, I dove only the local reef and it was better than excellent. Nurse sharks (big ones) and spotted eagle rays and turtles and giant grouper and parrot fish and morays and the usual fare of colorful reef fish--all in abundance. What I was struck most by was finning over dramatic cavernous canyons, one after another on all dives. All my dives were off a smallish boat with 4 to 8 people. I had the good fortune of diving for four days straight with three sensational divers from Delray Beach, two of whom are well seasoned instructors. On our last morning of diving, we were joined by ScubaERdoc (I that's his name), from this board, and his wife.

Want to charter a small boat for snorkeling or fishing? No problem, and not prohibitively expensive either. My wife and were walking barefoot down the beach by a stretch of restaurants in the dark with a bag of grouper and grunt fillets from our afternoon fishing and a guy sitting on some steps said, Hey man, I'll cook that fish for you. In twenty minutes we were sitting at a table on the beach eating perfectly blackened fillets garnished very heavily with red and green peppers, cucumbers, carrots, onions, etc, along with a mound of cocunut rice--US$7.50 each. And this was after we polished off a conch ceviche. We cracked our own bottle of wine. I don't recall this kind of laid back and informal island scene in Cozumel. I don't even think there is much of any beach you can walk along barefoot, not to mention passing one little open air restaurant after another. And on Ambergris, these beach front restaurants are mainly intimately small with quietish crowds and only some playing entirely tolerable levels of music. Some even have inviting bars opened right on the beach. If there's a scene like this in Cozumel, and there might very well be, I missed it when I was there.

If you do go to Ambergris, you might just want to live on the Pupusas--try the moringa one, if you don't mind waiting a bit while an older lady goes off into the backyard to pick the moringa leaves for you.

Mahjong has me seriously re-thinking Belize now....LOL. Gonna have to research it!

I've been to Coz. Just returned from Ambergris last night. I was uninterested in going back to Coz again. But I would go back to Ambergris in a heart beat, and do indeed plan to.

Coz of course has excellent diving, if you go for drift diving. Viz is great. Fish life is fine. Beaches are horrible. And life on land is not very interesting, at least to me. It's a place for diving, with comfortable resorts where you can off-gas and ready yourself for your next dive. But watch out for the cruise ships dumping throngs of happy shoppers into the center of town.

Ambergris is more understated and laid back and the main town, San Pedro, retains a strong local cultural flavor. And the cool propeller plane puddle jump from Belize City to SP sets the tone--I sat in the copilot's seat, with a total of 8 passengers (and the plane was full). "No shoes, no shirts, no problem," that's their motto and it obtains everywhere. Right now is high season, and my wife and I kept asking each other, Where are the throngs? Nowhere to be found, thankfully. There are loads of restaurants, from very local to more upscale, and the food is always fresh and sensational. The ubiquitous hot pepper sauce is habernaro and wonderfully deadly (we love spicy food). The people are over-the-top friendly, infectiously so. The island is safe. I left wetsuits and shoes and other stuff on our villa porch, and sometimes didn't even lock the door when going out. No problem. As for diving, I dove only the local reef and it was better than excellent. Nurse sharks (big ones) and spotted eagle rays and turtles and giant grouper and parrot fish and morays and the usual fare of colorful reef fish--all in abundance. What I was struck most by was finning over dramatic cavernous canyons, one after another on all dives. All my dives were off a smallish boat with 4 to 8 people. I had the good fortune of diving for four days straight with three sensational divers from Delray Beach, two of whom are well seasoned instructors. On our last morning of diving, we were joined by ScubaERdoc (I that's his name), from this board, and his wife.

Want to charter a small boat for snorkeling or fishing? No problem, and not prohibitively expensive either. My wife and were walking barefoot down the beach by a stretch of restaurants in the dark with a bag of grouper and grunt fillets from our afternoon fishing and a guy sitting on some steps said, Hey man, I'll cook that fish for you. In twenty minutes we were sitting at a table on the beach eating perfectly blackened fillets garnished very heavily with red and green peppers, cucumbers, carrots, onions, etc, along with a mound of cocunut rice--US$7.50 each. And this was after we polished off a conch ceviche. We cracked our own bottle of wine. I don't recall this kind of laid back and informal island scene in Cozumel. I don't even think there is much of any beach you can walk along barefoot, not to mention passing one little open air restaurant after another. And on Ambergris, these beach front restaurants are mainly intimately small with quietish crowds and only some playing entirely tolerable levels of music. Some even have inviting bars opened right on the beach. If there's a scene like this in Cozumel, and there might very well be, I missed it when I was there.

If you do go to Ambergris, you might just want to live on the Pupusas--try the moringa one, if you don't mind waiting a bit while an older lady goes off into the backyard to pick the moringa leaves for you.

Hi Mahjong:
Nice report! We're headed there in July and your report makes me glad we are going. Could you tell me which dive shop you used on AC? Did you dive air or Nitrox? Did you bring an analyzer?

Thanks!
islanddream

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom