Cozumel update please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMM:
...Maracaibo Shallows aka Chunchakaab...

There is some disagreement as to whether they are the same site. Blue Angel told me they are, Christi says they are not. I am planning to do some research on this on my next trip there, in May.

ggunn:
There is some disagreement as to whether they are the same site. Blue Angel told me they are, Christi says they are not. I am planning to do some research on this on my next trip there, in May.

The area is VAST...if you look at it on a map, you could never dive it all in one dive.

Regardless, do your research if the exact loaction is that important to you but every divemaster on this island has differing ideas about drop points and dive site names...many of them have their own names for sites that are on the map or off the map...and no one uses GPS points, so it's really kind of pointless and not really that important.

Dalila and Francessa are two other sites that every divemaster has their own idea about.

My point is that there's not really a right or wrong here.

Christi:
I never said they were the same site...they are in fact two different sites in the same area.

The specific site we like to go is also neither of these sites, rather somewhere in between.

Regardless, do your research if the exact loaction is that important to you but every divemaster on this island has differing ideas about frop points and dive site names...many of them have their own names...and no one uses GPS points, so it's really kind of pointless.

You must have misunderstood something I said at some point or maybe I even made a typo.

I didn't say you said they were the same, I said you said they were different. Perhaps I should have included a smiley in my remarks; my "research" will just be to dive there and see what I see. Nothing confrontational intended.

ggunn:
I didn't say you said they were the same, I said you said they were different. Perhaps I should have included a smiley in my remarks; my "research" will just be to dive there and see what I see. Nothing confrontational intended.

Yeh, I reread your post and realized I misread it and edited :)

Serioulsy though...it's all a matter of perception and no one is right or wrong.

I gotta agree with Christi--------I have NEVER been dropped at the same place twice at either Maracaibo or Chunchacaab........it's usually rough and maybe windy and each captain DOES have his own idea of where to drop divers in a very huge area.

The other thing she said cracks me up because there are so many captains who have an idea (or no idea?) as to which is Dalila and which is La Francesa....and that is a good point. BUT the land where Playa Palancar is, is owned by a local woman doctor named Dalila.........so I go by that.......(for years I thought Dalila was an ancient Mayan goddess or something.......not)........but in that area I decide where to jump by landmarks and not by names of reefs.......makes it much easier to communicate with the captain that way...........hahaha.........Betsy

Christi:
Yeh, I reread your post and realized I misread it and edited :)

Serioulsy though...it's all a matter of perception and no one is right or wrong.

No contest there, but I still need to do some more "research", though...

I'm no expert but I did dive Cozumel in June just before Wilma and then returned last year. When we dove pre Wilma, Cozumel took my breath away. My post Wima experience was different, but still took my breath away.
June 2006 we dove with Christi and her crew and every single dive was awesome!
Yes, there seemed to be more fans and sponges pre-Wilma, but there were also so bonuses. Tons of juveniles, huge lobsters everywhere, walking along outin the open.
They looked almost prehistoric as we drifted over them. Nurse sharks, rays, turtles, they were all there too.
We had to change our January 2006 trip to Coz and went to Utila instead. Great place, but still couldn't rival the beauty of the reefs in Cozumel.
Just got back from Grand Cayman, and the bleaching and damage there was much more evident than what I saw in Cozumel. (PS- the diving was still very nice there, but nowhere near what Cozumel had to offer even post Wilma)

We're going back in March, and we really could go anywhere. The fact that we are choosing Cozumel after being there post Wilma really says it all.
Perhaps people who are so disappointed in Cozumel are using the wrong dive op.

Maybe the guy who wants his deposit back has just has a change of heart and is looking for a reason to back out. I say give him his money and let him stay home.

Just the same, have a great trip! (Maybe we'll see you there, leaving for Coz 3/29)

I'm sorry sue but I am in Cozumel from 3/19 to 3/26 so our paths will not cross this time but thanks for the response. The guest I am refering to is really a nice guy and i think some folks that have been diving in Cozumel for 20 years (he just met them in Curacaothis week) filled him full of dread with over- exagerations of devistation and destruction. I was there post Wilma-as soon as dive operators and hotel cozumel were open again (12/5/05-12/12/05). There were only a few dive boats going out each day and I knew they needed money so I organized a trip and went to see what wilma did....the topside destruction was severe and I felt sorrow for the residents but also a sense of awe and respect at the dedication and strength the Mexican people showed during the early stages of thier rebuilding effort. Men working on construction projects put thier tools down at night and climbed into thier hammocks at the job! They woke up and worked until dark again while I was off diving.The damage was evident in the shallower sites and there were less sponges and fan corals but it was still magnificant. Ma Nature has been beating the crap out of the Carribean for millions of years and it recovers as it is meant to.Nature is sometimes cruel so the strong survive-this is natural selection and keeps life healthy. But I digress... I found Cozumel to still be better than anywhere else i have dove in the Carribean even post Wilma. There were eaglerays everywhere,every day,octopusses were feeding on the carpet of conches at mid-day,toadies,drums,nurse sharks,eels,and all the other usual suspects were also present and my dives were great.I finished up by going to Playa Del Carman to do come cave training with ProTech. As much as my heart went out to the Mexican People it was Nice to be there when there were hardly any tourists. Im sure we will have a great time on our trip,thanks again for the prompt responses...Dive safe!

I wouldn't pressure someone with doubts to go forward. Other posters are right this may be one of those people that thrives on negativity. Refund his money if you are able to get a refund on your's. If a refund is coming out of your pocket tell him to pound sand. This diver sounds like he has other issues going on and is not being upfront with you. Show him some dive reports and if another reason pops up you will know he is not being honest with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom