Cozumel travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually come through Cancun cause it's cheaper for me and I can't resist saving a couple of hundred bucks. I also enjoy the process of travel and the bus/Playa/ferry is not without interest.

I usually come through Cancun cause it's cheaper for me and I can't resist saving a couple of hundred bucks. I also enjoy the process of travel and the bus/Playa/ferry is not without interest.
We did that once or twice years ago and saved some money, but I won't be doing it again. Getting to Cozumel wasn't bad; we were on a two week vacation and not in any particular hurry. Getting back to Cancun to catch the flight home, though, was a pain.

I have read accounts of a tariff or import duty being charged at some Mexican ports of entry for bringing in UW camera equipment for private use. I have only heard about it being an issue on the Pacific side, though, never in Cancun or Cozumel.

This is all I've heard too. Never heard of it through Canun (and I've never once been asked to see my camera rigs in Cozumel).

For some of us, the convenience of flying into CZM comes at the cost of a MUCH more expensive flight than flying into CUN and taking the ferry (the so-called "bag drag.") The hundreds of dollars my wife and I "saved" (or rather, were not gouged) almost paid for our diving. Many more flight options through CUN, too. But if money were no object, I would always fly into CZM.

The ferry duopoly still has not returned to operating the 7AM or 11PM departure out of Playa to Cozumel. This makes it a gamble on getting to the island before 9AM the next day if your plane is scheduled into Cancun after 6:30 PM

Especially with the way US layover airports have been this year, I much prefer a non stop flight to/from CUN and then the bus/ferry. This is especially true for me on the way back, when any flight back to NYC out of CZM gets in late (if it all), while I can get back to NY early evening by doing the bag drag. But I really don't mind taking an 8AM or 9AM ferry on my way home. I'm done diving anyway.

We sometimes do the bag drag, and I really don't mind it that much - I kind of like the shuttle ride down the Riviera Maya and the ferry ride over also (with coffee, beer, snacks, etc.). But I am sometimes paying for 5 people, so the bag drag can save thousands of dollars. I'll add a few practical points to what others have mentioned:
  • For 1 or 2 people, it can be nice to take the ADO bus from the airport to the ADO station near the ferry pier in PDC -- I actually prefer this, as the ADO buses are pretty nice "charter buses" with TVs and even have a toilet if you need it. It was about $12 per person each way, but I'm not sure what it is now after inflation and exchange rate changes. You can buy the tickets upon arrival.
  • For more than than 2-3 people, I'd use a shuttle service with good reviews like Canada Transfers, Kalido Travel, etc. Has been around $115 round-trip total for the whole group (we had 5 people, not sure the limit), but don't know current rate.
  • In timing flights into Cancun, I'd confirm the time of the last ferry (2 companies - Winjet & Ultramar - no big difference), usually 9pm or 10pm, and I'd try to get a flight that gives plenty of time (personally, I probably wouldn't push it past a 6pm arrival into CUN). Make sure to look at the ferry schedule for the specific day, because times can vary depending on the day.
  • Similarly, in flying back, I'd plan to take the early ferry from Cozumel, but I'd still probably avoid any flight that left Cancun earlier than 12 noon.
  • If you will need a taxi for the early ferry, especially a taxi van for a big group, in order to get to the Cozumel ferry terminal, I suggest booking with them through the Cozumel Taxi Facebook page, which I've found to be the best way unless you are in a hotel that will arrange it for you.

Edit: Oh, and here's a slightly dated but very-detailed description for catching the ADO bus -- this actually makes it sound harder than it is (you can just ask someone how to get to the ADO autobus - "Ah-Day-Oh owtoboos"), but some details can be helpful: Cancun Airport to Playa del Carmen/Cozumel by ADO Bus

For some of us, the convenience of flying into CZM comes at the cost of a MUCH more expensive flight than flying into CUN and taking the ferry (the so-called "bag drag.") The hundreds of dollars my wife and I "saved" (or rather, were not gouged) almost paid for our diving. Many more flight options through CUN, too. But if money were no object, I would always fly into CZM.
Of course, we all have our own perspectives and priorities, and where one is traveling from makes a big difference. I live in Austin, and changing planes in Houston gets me there either at noon (United) or 2:30PM (Southwest), and the added expenses that come with the bag drag cut into what savings there would be in flying into Cancun.

Back
Top Bottom