Cozumel travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been a couple years, but I found it easier to fly into coz. The shuttles I looked into from cun would only take us as far as the ferry. If my recollection is correct, we then would’ve had to ferry across and then catch a cab to our accommodations. Too much of a pain in the a$$ IMO. Especially on the return trip.

I only did it once, but, IMO, it's not worth the extra hassle to fly into Cancun, get a shuttle to the ferry, then ferry to Cozumel, then taxi to hotel. The road from Cancun is under construction and the traffic is pretty bad.

Flying direct to CZM is the best option, and they don't have the camera extortion scam.

Flying into Cozumel is generally preferred , but it is also a function of how long your layover will be and how tight your connections are, and what the cost difference is ( which also can be a function of whether traveling solo or with family).

I fly direct non-stop into Cozumel almost 100 percent of the time these days, but I gather non-stop isn’t an option for you. I would consider Cancun if getting to Cozumel required either an overnight connection or if it required a very short connection (<1 hour) over a holiday where flights were likely to be delayed and I might be stranded. I would also consider Cancun if traveling with a family and tickets to Cancun were a hundreds of dollars/ticket cheaper. You burn a substantial amount of time going to and from Cancun so I wouldn’t do it for less than a few hundred dollars a ticket cheaper (which would push the savings for a family of 4 into the thousands ). There are actually quite a lot of flights going to Cozumel post pandemic so I don’t think the potential savings from going to Cancun often justify the additional time/hassle at the moment but it might over peak travel periods.

I only did it once, but, IMO, it's not worth the extra hassle to fly into Cancun, get a shuttle to the ferry, then ferry to Cozumel, then taxi to hotel. The road from Cancun is under construction and the traffic is pretty bad.

Flying direct to CZM is the best option, and they don't have the camera extortion scam.
What is the “camera extortion scam”?
Please explain.

I am curious as to what the "camera extortion scam" is also. My friend had his extorted by the tsa when he flew back last spring from cozumel and it has not been recovered.

What is the “camera extortion scam”?
Please explain.
I have read accounts of a tariff or import duty being charged at some Mexican ports of entry for bringing in UW camera equipment for private use. I have only heard about it being an issue on the Pacific side, though, never in Cancun or Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom