Cozumel Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwlast

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Contemplating a possible trip to Cozumel in January. Looking to do some shore diving primarily, backed up by boat dives.

Question is.....is there a resort that offers good shore diving (resort's beach with tank rentals, self guided preferred) backed up with boat dives when we feel like getting away from the shore?

BTW, how is Cozumel diving in January?

Because the boat diving is so good, Cozumel isn't known for it's shore diving. Shore diving can be rewarding, but compared to a boat dive, it isn't considered to be all that great. Seems to me that just about everyone mainly does a 2 tank morning boat dive and some do an afternoon boat or shore dive if they feel up to it or are hardcore about diving.

Hotels/resorts that have decent shore dives include, but are not limited to:
Caribe Blue - on-site dive op blue angel for tanks
El Presidente - on-site dive op scubadu for tanks
Fiesta Americana - on-site dive op divehouse for tanks
Villa Blanca - on-site dive op Papa hogs for tanks

I would expect water temps to be 78 +/- 1 degree with the usual good Cozumel vis.

diveborg:
Because the boat diving is so good, Cozumel isn't known for it's shore diving. Shore diving can be rewarding, but compared to a boat dive, it isn't considered to be all that great. Seems to me that just about everyone mainly does a 2 tank morning boat dive and some do an afternoon boat or shore dive if they feel up to it or are hardcore about diving.

Hotels/resorts that have decent shore dives include, but are not limited to:
Caribe Blue - on-site dive op blue angel for tanks
El Presidente - on-site dive op scubadu for tanks
Fiesta Americana - on-site dive op divehouse for tanks
Villa Blanca - on-site dive op Papa hogs for tanks

I would expect water temps to be 78 +/- 1 degree with the usual good Cozumel vis.

Good list. Ditto everything diveborg said, I would add Scuba Club Cozumel - on-site dive op Scuba-Cozumel for tanks.

If you are really interested in doing a lot of shore diving I would suggest you consider either Bonaire or Curacao. Coz is ok but to do much diving you really need a boat. We stayed at El Cid (aka La Cieaba) which is susposed to have a good house reef. It was not bad but after 2 or 3 dives I would of liked to have seen a different area. I do a lot of macro photography so I am use to spending a lot of time at one spot. I am sure the others will correct me if I am wrong but it did not appear to me that going from one resort to another to shore dive was encouraged. My preference is to shore dive where ever we go so I am somewhat biased as to my choice in dive locations.

As the others have said, Cozumle is not a place you want to make shore diving primary and boat dives as a back-up. The shore diving here is just so-so, unless you are into macro photography. Otherwise, you will get very bored, very fast and you won't see the diving that Cozumel is famous for.

The only true reef you can access from a shore dive is Paradise reef, and then only if the current is cooperating and you know how to navigate your way back. This can be a dangerous shore dive as well since it is right at the entry for the marina. If you have never been to Cozumel and plan to dive Paradise as a shore dive, I would highly recommend hiring a local guide, actually, it is required since it is within the marine park boundaries.

Otherwise, your choices are as mentioned above, but as someone above said, resort hopping is neither highly looked upon, nor is it practical...it's just not done here.

Villa Blanca (public, rent tanks from Papa Hogs)
Caribe Blu (public - basically the same area, slightly north - rent tanks from Blue Angel)
Fiesta Americana - If you are staying there - rent tanks from Dive House
Hotel Cozumel - if you are staying there - rent tanks from Dive Paradise
Scuba Club - if you are staying there - rent tanks from Scuba Club
Presidente - if you are staying there - ent tanks from Scuba-Du
La Ceiba - rent tanks from Aqua Worls or Dive with Martin IF you can get access through the hotel, which is doubtful these days

Schedule yourself for boat diving and use shore dives as a supplement...that's really the only way to do Cozumel.

Christi:
Scuba Club - if you are staying there - rent tanks from Scuba Club

A minor correction, Christi. At Scuba Club Cozumel, unlimited shore diving is included in the price. Guests can take tanks and do as many shore dives as they want. The artificial reefs in front of the hotel are very interesting, but not like the offshore reefs. You can read more and look at my pictures from the reefs and shore dives at SCC by clicking on one of the links below my signature.

Going to Cozumel primarily for shore dive would be like going to Bonaire primarily for boat diving.

But there are many adequate shore dive sites in Cozumel. Any one may get boring pretty quickly. If you get a car, then you could hit a number of them and avoid some of the bordom. If you are doing it alone, it will cost more than the boat diving.

If you get a Fiesta Americana/Dive House package, shore tanks on boat diving days are also free.

jlyle:
A minor correction, Christi. At Scuba Club Cozumel, unlimited shore diving is included in the price. Guests can take tanks and do as many shore dives as they want. The artificial reefs in front of the hotel are very interesting, but not like the offshore reefs. You can read more and look at my pictures from the reefs and shore dives at SCC by clicking on one of the links below my signature.

I know that guests do not have to pay for tanks for shore diving at Scuba Club..."rent" was a general term used for lack of a better term...point is that you have to be staying there to get tanks from them anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom