Cozumel seahorses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saw a couple of them last week in the Tunich and Paradise area. Always clinging to something.

I guess I forgot to answer one question but alluded to it. I have not seen seahorses on the walls - North or South. Most have been in shallower locations (40-45 feet), fairly flat areas in and around relatively sparse cover i.e. sea grass or small piles of broken dead stony coral and toward shore from the reef sites. The other locations are 1. The black and yellow seahorse we found on top of the "traditional" reef hiding in what I think is black/maroon and yellow rope sponges. It was much larger than most brown ones I've seen. Maybe somewhere from Dalila to Cedral Pass but I don't remember - it's been awhile; 2. Paradise site at maybe 15-30 feet among grass beds and rubble on a flat bottom.

In June we saw 6 or 7 Seahorse at San Clemente. They were hanging out on the sand bottom.

Attachments

• Coz 040.jpg
    Coz 040.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 89
In June we saw 6 or 7 Seahorse at San Clemente. They were hanging out on the sand bottom.

Agree with San Clemente. We saw 4 there in July on one dive. Gotta leave the reef and head out about 20 feet into the grassy sandy bottom as you drift and look from the sides so you can see their profiles easier. You'll see them clinging to grasses, rocks etc. AMAZING creatures to enjoy seeing......
Be sure to tell your DM that you are wanting to see them, tip well, and you'll be sure to be taken to the perfect location to find them!
Good luck!

Most I have seen on one dive was 5 and that was at the end of San Francisco Wall up on the top the wall. They were hanging out in the vegetation. Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom