Cozumel Restaurant Magnum Opus Updated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens

Toadfish. Splendid is implied but not guaranteed.
Reaction score
I've just finished the semi-annual update of my Cozumel restaurant recommendation and review pages, to the extent that they're ever really finished.

This list is not intended to include all, or even most, possibilities. Each listing is a place I can recommend from personal experience, so there's no place I haven't been (usually multiple times) and no place I don't like.

Places are organized by meal rather than location or price. That means that the same restaurant can appear on multiple pages, but entries aren't always identical for different meals.

I don't typically rate "guac" because the best is the simplest and if it's made with care and good ingredients (avocado, lime, salt, salsa, STOP) it's always good. Much the same goes for margaritas - there's a common Cozumel recipe (1:1:1:1 for tequila, Controy, lime juice, and simple syrup) that's hard to mess up. Besides, just about every restaurant on the island is said by someone to have "simply the best guac" or "the absolute best 'ritas".

I don't really know what "to die for" means in objective terms, nor do I think all things are supposed to "melt in your mouth". I do have objective criteria for things I deem good, but for the sake of brevity haven't gone into those in reviews. If anyone wants them for a specific thing, ask. Some are included in my Mexican food terms glossary.

Last edited:
I'm HUNGRY now! Thanks for sharing and for all your time to update!

Many, many thanks for omitting the term "hands down".
Spent some time poking around, and the only problem I see is Parilla Mission on 30. Long gone to the Casa Mission garden, as I am certain you know.
Impressive map, Mark! I'll be using it in the future, I'm sure!

Many, many thanks for omitting the term "hands down".
Spent some time poking around, and the only problem I see is Parilla Mission on 30. Long gone to the Casa Mission garden, as I am certain you know.
Impressive map, Mark! I'll be using it in the future, I'm sure!

I was pretty sure I'd changed it to the present location on Calle 1 at Casa Mission. If you could point me to the location of the incorrect entry, I'd love to fix it.

Thanks for putting this together. I'm returning to Cozumel for the first time in nearly 3 years in June, and I'll be solo for the first time, so I'll definitely be making use of your list. I'm pretty sure we relied heavily on your list last time we were there, too. I've already got a couple of places picked out for fish tacos right after I get some cash.

I had a few margaritas in Cozumel, not enough to make me an authority, but I don't think your ratios are correct. Equal parts tequila, cointreau, lime juice, and simple syrup would be undrinkably sweet. When I make them at home, it's 2:1:1 T:L:C, with no sugar because cointreau is pretty sweet on it's own.

I'm staying on the edge of centro at Caribo Cozumel and plan to walk towards the ferry pier each morning to get breakfast and a cab to FONATUR. I'm feeling a strong pull towards Corazón Contento for that first breakfast. Who doesn't want to start their first dive with a happy heart? From Google street view, it looks like they advertise a nice breakfast special of chilaquiles, huevos, frijoles, pan, etc. for $64MXN. Are they usually pretty quick there? I'm just wondering how much time to budget since I don't want to be late, but I also don't want to be sitting around waiting to board the dive boat for too long. Thanks!

Last edited:
Also, does La Perlita still do 2-for-1 lion fish on Thursdays? I've heard both yes and no. If I can make a friend while I'm there, that pineapple coconut (or whatever it was) breaded pez de león with the mayan name is calling me from 2000 miles away already.

Thanks for putting this together. I'm returning to Cozumel for the first time in nearly 3 years in June, and I'll be solo for the first time, so I'll definitely be making use of your list. I'm pretty sure we relied heavily on your list last time we were there, too. I've already got a couple of places picked out for fish tacos right after I get some cash.

I had a few margaritas in Cozumel, not enough to make me an authority, but I don't think your ratios are correct. Equal parts tequila, cointreau, lime juice, and simple syrup would be undrinkably sweet. When I make them at home, it's 2:1:1 T:L:C, with no sugar because cointreau is pretty sweet on it's own.

I'm staying on the edge of centro at Caribo Cozumel and plan to walk towards the ferry pier each morning to get breakfast and a cab to FONATUR. I'm feeling a strong pull towards Corazón Contento for that first breakfast. Who doesn't want to start their first dive with a happy heart? From Google street view, it looks like they advertise a nice breakfast special of chilaquiles, huevos, frijoles, pan, etc. for $64MXN. Are they usually pretty quick there? I'm just wondering how much time to budget since I don't want to be late, but I also don't want to be sitting around waiting to board the dive boat for too long. Thanks!
You might consider having the buffet breakfast at Casa Mexicana Hotel since you are walking that way each morning. About the same cost as Contento, has everything you mentioned and then some (fresh fruit, make your own smoothies, eggs and omelettes to order, salsas, etc) and no waiting around.

You might consider having the buffet breakfast at Casa Mexicana Hotel since you are walking that way each morning. About the same cost as Contento, has everything you mentioned and then some (fresh fruit, make your own smoothies, eggs and omelettes to order, salsas, etc) and no waiting around.
That's a good option. I stayed at Suites Bahía the last time I was in Cozumel for a week (December 2014) and we did breakfast at Casa Mexicana because it was included with our hotel stay. We were never unhappy with them.

If I remember correctly, though, I think it was about $150MXN if you aren't staying with them, right?

This is fantastic! Thank you for sharing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom