Cozumel question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midwestdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, all. Since my roommate backed out of a planned skiing trip for spring break, I've decided to go ahead and find out why everybody is raving about Cozumel. I'm planning on staying at Villablanca and using Papa Hogs. What I've read from this board seems to indicate they're acceptable. Planning on going Mar 18-24. Now for the questions.

1. I'm a resident alien in the U.S. (aka "greencard holder") with Philippine citizenship. Will I need a visa to enter Mexico?

2. Will be travelling solo. Will the DM buddy me up with someone on the boat or will I have to find me own? Or is this gonna be a hassle?

3. Will I wanna come back from this vacation?

Thanks.

midwestdvr

midwestdvr:
Hi, all. Since my roommate backed out of a planned skiing trip for spring break, I've decided to go ahead and find out why everybody is raving about Cozumel. I'm planning on staying at Villablanca and using Papa Hogs. What I've read from this board seems to indicate they're acceptable. Planning on going Mar 18-24. Now for the questions.

1. I'm a resident alien in the U.S. (aka "greencard holder") with Philippine citizenship. Will I need a visa to enter Mexico?

2. Will be travelling solo. Will the DM buddy me up with someone on the boat or will I have to find me own? Or is this gonna be a hassle?

3. Will I wanna come back from this vacation?

Thanks.

midwestdvr

1. Canadian. Can't help you here.

2. From my experience, there won't be a hassle. You'll get buddied on the boat.

3. No. :D

glbirch:
1. Canadian. Can't help you here.

2. From my experience, there won't be a hassle. You'll get buddied on the boat.

3. No. :D

Ditto

(1) You can obtain the information you need here: http://www.embassy.org/embassies/mx.html You can also ask your airline, as they are required to make sure you are legal before they board you.

(2) Yeah, the Dive Guide will pair you off. If you're new to ocean diving, tell him, so he can help you. Don't be macho; they're bad enoguh at that. I dived with Papa Hogs in November, and they're good, but - be prepared to take care of your own safety - always. You might run a search on the Mexico forum and see what othes say.

(3) When the money runs out.

don

1. Consulate said all I need is a passport and my green card, preferably american express.

2. Good to know. Thanks for the info.

3. Good thing I have lots of money...not.

you might want to request that this thread is moved to Mexico where you will get more attention to your requests.

Woohoo :bounce: Several more days til paradise. Was originally planning to use Pa Hogs but decided to go with Dive Paradise instead since I had to get a package. Waited too long to get the ticket and by the time I checked, they went up by about a hundred. Will have to rent a DM for my first couple of dives, hope they still have a few left over.

Anyway, still have a coupla questions. Is it safe to bring a laptop to Cozumel? Will be bringing it to see dig pics on big screen so I can find out how crappy a shooter I am.

Anybody on this board gonna be there 3/18 to 3/23? Would like to put faces on the great crew on this board.

Well, thanks again for all the help. Been great.

midwestdvr

I travel around MX with my laptop, but take the basic precautions. I don't make it obvious that I have one, and if the hotel rooms are suspect, I leave it with the manager. If you are working through a dive shop that you know and trust, you might ask if they can hold onto it for you as well - I've had luck with that too (though I've not done that in Coz).

I stayed at the Villablanca and dove with Dive Paradise in January. The hotel is nice, basic, and sort of goofy (you'll see what I mean). Make friends with Nancy, the snack bar lady. She's and American living in Coz, married to a local DM, a good source for local info and a real nice person. Say hi from the guy who had to be rescued from his second floor room by Jorge (the manager) and his trusty ladder. PM me if you want the whole story.
Dive Paradise is OK: big slow cattle boats, but they do the trick. If you do the afternoon trips, don't let them take you to the same place (Paradise reef) every day.
As for your laptop, the rooms only have ancient doorknob type locks which are not very secure. I would let the front desk lock it up for you.

Enjoy!

Thanks. Will consider having the manager lock up the laptop now that I know what kind of locks they have. As for going on the same reef for the afternoon dives, I don't think I'll mind this time. When I went to the Phil this Jan, I dove the same reef 4 times and couldn't get enough of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom