Cozumel options for a vegetarian/diver trip.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The salads and fruits at the Occidental was more than enough to keep my wife happy...especially the lunch buffets.

And checking Sept prices.....cheapo! Dive shop on premises with free Nitrox!

I'm a vegan. Just did a week at SCC. We had a gluten-free person (Celiacs Disease - not a fashionista), me and a vegetarian.

To start off, the food is mediocre. Edible at best. But choices? What a joke. They could not understand GF at all. She (GF) could not eat a thing there for a week. They assured her that her food was GF and she got violently ill twice. They kept on dumping cheese in my food and it tasted awful to start. The vegetarian could only eat the lousy veggie burger twice before declaring that he was done. The three of us walked into town at least twice daily to eat at different restaurants. No problem there.

@Christi is correct: Get a place near downtown. You won't regret it. Next time I'm staying at CM and diving with an outfit in town.

I'm a vegan. Just did a week at SCC. We had a gluten-free person (Celiacs Disease - not a fashionista), me and a vegetarian.

To start off, the food is mediocre. Edible at best. But choices? What a joke. They could not understand GF at all. She (GF) could not eat a thing there for a week. They assured her that her food was GF and she got violently ill twice. They kept on dumping cheese in my food and it tasted awful to start. The vegetarian could only eat the lousy veggie burger twice before declaring that he was done. The three of us walked into town at least twice daily to eat at different restaurants. No problem there.

It's sad to hear when a good place goes downhill like that. My girlfriend has problems with MSG and we have had a lot of difficulties communicating with restaurant staff about the issue in several places in Mexioc--it's like they've never heard of it. I've learned to read it on labels so I know it exists.

On the sunny side I've noticed Gluten-Free on many menus in San Miguel (and other towns) and I wasn't even looking for it.

On the sunny side I've noticed Gluten-Free on many menus in San Miguel (and other towns) and I wasn't even looking for it.

GF is a fairly newish fad food style all over and Mexico is no different. There are entire sections at Mega and Chedraui for GF goods. However, I did LMAO one day when, at Chedraui, I was on a hunt for their imported Pillsbury all-purpose flour (which HAD been in their flour section...and imported foods section...in the past) I found it on the gluten-free shelves.

Thanks all. I will pass on the information and start looking at places so I can make some recommendations.

Never been to coz but I've traveled around the Caribbean a lot as a vegan. I find the best option is normally a place with a kitchen and a nearby grocery store. :)

4x vegetarian trips to Cozumel. It's pretty easy to have a variety of good food in town. I only get myself in trouble when I try to order in Spanish at less-touristic restaurants.

Of course, different folks have different levels of food restrictions. For example, I'm usually OK with having my eggs cooked on the buffet griddle at Casa Mexicana, despite the previous (or adjoining) order having meat. Other people wouldn't accept that...so Cali Cafe, self-catering, and fewer restaurants would probably work.

Each supermarket has a small section of GF foods (mostly potato chips and specialty items) which was useful. Cali Cafe is fantastic. That was a lifesaver for all three of us. Most restaurants in SM had no problem making specialty dishes for us: La Kondessa, El Moro and
Has it gone downhill or is it the same as it ever was?

Same as it ever was. I love the place. The food is as bad or as good as it was 10 years ago.

Success!!!! Convinced her that an AI is not the best way to go. Probably staying at Suites Colonial.

And @Christi we'd like to dive with you if that's possible (she's dragging me along)? Where is the best place to contact you to lock down a reservation and get some more information?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom