Cozumel options for a vegetarian/diver trip.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnnyC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My Cozumel experience only consists of taking day trips for some fun dives when I'm in Playa to do some cave dives so I can't give the level of advice to my friend that I'd like. I'm pretty out of my league in this situation so I thought I'd go to the experts.

I've got a friend who's a vegetarian, and a newer diver. She wants to do Cozumel in October for a week or two. Right now she's thinking an all-inclusive is the way to go, some place with a house dive shop that she can pay one rate for lodging and diving, and offers food she's willing to eat. I'm not sure if this will be an option for her, but told her I'd go to the experts. I have another friend who stayed at the Iberostar and dove with Dressel Divers for an extended stay on the island and had a great time, but he does cheap liveaboards and cattle boats so his frame of reference doesn't necessarily cover the whole gamut of possibilities.

Basically, the food choice is important, she wants to do a lot of diving without breaking the bank, but she's a newer diver who just wants to see cool stuff, so typical Cozumel dive quality is fine, she doesn't need the bespoke treatment and "OMG THAT WAS AMAZING" stuff that Cozumel has to offer.

Caveat, if my work schedule pans out, I may join her, so a doubles rate is an option too. If I were going alone I'd definitely find an AirBNB and use of the smaller, better shops, but this trip is for her, not me.

Any thoughts and advice you've got would be appreciated. I've got the mainland stuff covered. She WILL be doing at least one day of cenote dives.

I think that she would be better off staying in, or very close, to town since she is more likely to find decent selection of vegetarian/vegan options there. Two Indian restaurants opened in the past year and they have lots of vegetarian options on their menu. There's a vegan café located downtown (I forget the name...Cali Café maybe? I always grab a juice there when I'm in paying my phone bill) and there are a couple of others as well. For the most part, the all-inclusives are at the south end of the island and while I expect there would be a vegetarian dish or two on the menu or at the buffet, overall, the food won't be the same quality as in town.

Off the top of my head, Scuba Club Cozumel might be a good choice. It's not far from town, is all-inclusive, and has a loyal following of divers. The Cozumel Palace is an all-inclusive in town, but is pretty expensive.

I concur with MMM - Cozumel
Restaurants are vegetarian and vegan friendly in town - at an AI the food is prepared in advance and in bulk - she will have no control Over what she is eating and what ingredients were used in the preparation. I would say in this case especially, AI is the worst way to go.

I would recommend staying in town at Bahia, Casa Mex or Suites Colonial, choose a dive shop that departs from town, and she will have MANY fresh vegetarian friendly options within a few blocks radius.

Rates are super affordable at these hotels, maybe even more so than an air B and B rental. Rates for the hotel are for the room, not per person. So all a “single” rate reflects is the cost of the room. A “double” rate is that same room price divided by two. But in October rates at Bahia and Suites Colonial are as low as $45/$50 a night plus tax for a basic room including full breakfast buffet - which is also vegetarian friendly. And close enough to walk everywhere

Last edited:
I agree. Staying at an isolated resort and having special food needs is a bad idea.

+1 with staying close to downtown. If she gets a room with a kitchenette, then she can shop and ensure that what she eats matches her needs.

Whew, glad I read the post. I was worried for a minute that you were asking for yourself. With your avatar, I just assumed you ate ears.

This is off topic but...@JohnnyC’s avatar and # of dives is inconsistent with his posts. I’ve always been kinda intimidated by his avatar LOL!

:topic:

I stayed at Scuba Club a couple of times and they ask if you have any special dietary needs. I told them "no milk products" and got my club sandwiches and tacos "sin queso." But of course when they brought them to the table they would say something like "here's your sandwich, with extra cheese." Just messing with me. :) One time I asked if the chocolate cake had milk in it and the waiter said "yes." He even went and asked the cook to confirm and all but refused to serve me the cake. It was my last day so I didn't care if I was going to be bloated on the airplane the next day. My impression is that they are very conscientious about dietary needs but can't confirm that a vegetarian meal was not cooked in meat fat or whatever, but personally I would trust them. Their prices are based upon double occupancy so that's a consideration. Dinner is optional but breakfast and lunch are included. It's too close to town for us to opt for the dinners. To me it would be crazy to not try some of the many great restaurants in San Miguel.

another vote for ScubaClub. They have a vegetarian option every night for dinner. The staff is very good about that and making food special for anyone with dietary needs. One trip there a couple was vegetarian who dove with us daily. They told us they were thrilled with the vegetarian option every night. It was usually an adaptation of on of the other menu options for that night, but posted on wall next to the regular menu downstairs (where you order for that night's dinner).
I have tons of photos and stuff on my website, look at link below my signature.

I am going to add to the chorus of those suggesting to stay downtown and I am a big fan of Suites Colonial, which does have a room option that includes a kitchenette. Vegan friendly buffet breakfast is served a few blocks away each morning at sister hotel Casa Mexicana. Here is the link to Suites Colonial: Suites Colonial Cozumel
It is a block and a half walk to one of the downtown piers that is used by a few of the best dive ops on the island.
If she absolutely wants to stay at an AI, then I would probably choose Scuba Club Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom