Cozumel Night Diving - Need Tips suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Budgirl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a scubaboard stalker...I read the posts everyday and only post once in a while...I havent seen too many discussions on night diving...so here I go:

We are planning on doing a night dive when we are in Cozumel in May. My husband is very experienced and has done night dives before, so I know I am in good hands with him as my dive buddy.

I am a bit nervous about doing the night dive, but I will be less nervous if I know more what to expect...so any suggestions or experiences on what it will be like diving Cozumel at night...Will it be a shallow dive? What are the currents like at night? We are diving with Aqua Safari and I have used them before so I feel like I am with a good crew...

Anything will help...Thanks, Sharon

I'm a scubaboard stalker...I read the posts everyday and only post once in a while...I havent seen too many discussions on night diving...so here I go:

We are planning on doing a night dive when we are in Cozumel in May. My husband is very experienced and has done night dives before, so I know I am in good hands with him as my dive buddy.

I am a bit nervous about doing the night dive, but I will be less nervous if I know more what to expect...so any suggestions or experiences on what it will be like diving Cozumel at night...Will it be a shallow dive? What are the currents like at night? We are diving with Aqua Safari and I have used them before so I feel like I am with a good crew...

Just about everyone is a little apprehensive about doing a night dive before they've done it, but it's no big deal. I advise doing a bit of night snorkeling first to sort of get an idea of how it will be. It sounds like it will be all gloomy and spooky, but it's really not. I'm a real fan of night diving; you see a completely different cast of critters out at night.

It will definitely be a shallow dive with no wall involved, and generally close to town - someplace like Paradise or Chankanaab. The currents don't have anything to do with daylight, so there will probably be some, but just go with the flow. You'll be fine.

I hadnt thought about doing an evening snorkel first...Cozumel Palace has a very nice snorkel area...thanks

Husband and I both describe night dives like a walk in the woods at night with a flashlight. You see what is within your light range and that is about it. You will see perhaps Octopus, Crab and Lobster moving about. You may also get to see marine life on the hunt as DH and I did with a Moray eel. What an experience it was to see the Moray, hunt, attack and eat it's prey. It was a bit violent and uncomfortable to see at first, but when I accepted that that is the way things are, I adjusted and found it interesting. You obviously have day diving experience and night diving should go very well with you. Just let your DM know it is your first night dive in advance. You also just need to pay atttention to the few signals that are used for night diving that are not used for day diving. Have a great time ! Sue sue

might not be a bad idea to head out for a night dive off shore first for a little warmer upper. When i was there a couple weeks ago i dove in front of villa blanca/papa hogs every night after sunset. The night dives can be great. Paradise at night could be amazing. Just off shore you'll see octopi, eels, puffers by the millions, cuddle fish, lobsters, crabs, all sorts of cool stuff that usually hides. plus you can see all the other fish very close up as most of them find a nook or cranny to just sorta lay down in for the night. If your nervous at all just make sure you night dive a spot that you have already dove at during the day and you'll fee much more at home and less disoriented. Have Fun!! Chris

I love reading all of these experiences....My fears are quickly being replaced with excitement and anticipation...

It is not any colder than a day dive in the same area. Little to no current where most ops go. A little claustrophobic because it is all about amount of light you have. The more the divers the better up to a point because more stuff will be spotted and the area will be lit up more. Some people dive with two lights or one of the expensive high wattage ones. I like one light with my point and shoot camera in the other. The night shift is great because they are sleepy or can't see you that well so it is easier to take pictures of octopi, lobster, crab, eels, and many of the day time fish that are skitterish. Take a small spare light if you got one. You will remember this dive over all the other ones on your vacation. Enjoy.

The best dives we did on Coz were the night dives. There were SO many animals out and about -- the octopus alone were worth the dives.

I like to think about night dives as like being in someone's living room during a party, when they've decided to light the room with candles. There are pools of relatively bright light, but there's a fair amount of "spill", and your eyes adjust and you see a lot more than you would think you could. One of the biggest challenges is recognizing your own dive buddy in the dark, and it's worth either putting on or carrying something distinctive, or using a colored light of some kind to make your buddy identifiable. (A whole crew of divers in black dry suits, backplates, and HID lights can make sorting this kind of thing out very difficult!)

One of the more difficult things about the night dives is the free ascent to the surface at the end. It's worth either shooting a bag yourself, or staying quite near the DM when he shoots his, to give you a good reference for up and down. If it's not a moonlit night, it can get confusing in midwater.

We understand the concerns with your first night dive. When you are sitting there thinking about it the ocean seems so dark at night, a little spooky, and certainly unnerving. Then... you roll off the boat into the water.

Once you are in the water, you will find that the visibility is just as amazing as it is during the day. You will find that the creatures that are out on the reef at night are even more amazing than during the day. You will likely find that diving becomes a little more enjoyable as your focus is narrowed to the beam and radius of your light.

Obviously, there are some skills to learn but isn't that why we dive?

Don't let the thought of the unknown worry you... because what is waiting for you there is amazing.

My wife was also apprehensive about night diving. I finally talked her into doing one with me last time in Coz. It was awesome, as usual!! I love how warm the water feels in the cooler air, the slow current, the bio- luminescence, ect. You will be fine, it is shallow, and is very easy. The lights tell you where everyone is....no searching. Just relax, have fun!! My wife now says it is one of her favorite dives.

Back
Top Bottom