Cozumel Incident 9/4/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree......maybe the dive shops could collectively note sites and times of year those currents happen for safety. I also saw it mentioned that a diver in another area of the world also witnessed a pre-dive in water inspection of the dive site for safety. I have personally seen this done in Cozumel but maybe not every operator knows to do it.
My only downcurrent experience was at Palancar Deep, July 23, 2002. It will always be one of my most memorable dives for several reasons. We got off to a bad start when I dropped down to 30', felt a little buoyant, and realized I had left my weights back on the boat (couldn't get to my weight pockets where my BC/tank was stored on the boat so I was going to do it at the last second, then, uh...). So my buddy and I ascended, I waved the boat over, they handed me my weights, stuck them in my pockets, and away we went to follow the bubbles of the rest of our group. After an exhausting swim fighting current, we finally met up with them in a swim-through at 90', out of the current long enough for me to catch my breath and I thought my buddy was OK too. We followed the group out of the swim through and boom, that's when the downcurrent nailed us. Most of our group were somewhat experienced cold-water (SoCal) divers, that being dive #173 for me, but my buddy only had around 50 under her belt. I don't remember any one changing position, whether to get away from or closer to the wall, but that certainly wasn't going through my mind at the time since I had never heard those bits of wisdom prior to this incident. I also never considered adding air to my BC, probably a good thing in retrospect. As I recall, all of us were just kicking at full speed trying to maintain our existing depth. I remember looking at my computer and watching the bubbles go straight down and kicking as hard as I could and still watching my depth go 85, 86, 87, 85, not being able to make any headway toward the surface, not really worried even though I was down to nearly 500 psi. Finally the current relented or we moved out of it because were eventually able to ascend without a problem, even managed to squeeze in a minute or so safety stop.

Back on the boat, there was a collective sigh of relief. Most of us were excited, happy we made it, exhilirated from the adrenalin rush. My poor buddy, however, was in tears. She never really did catch her breath in the swim through and was exhausted from kicking against the down-current. She had never breathed that hard underwater and was freaked out that she was going to run out of air. Upon further questioning, I found out she had about 1,500 psi left when the down-current hit us and ended up surfacing with 1,200. I showed her my AI computer which was reading less than 250 and she felt a little better, but she still sat out the next dive which was unfortunate since it was the Felipe X in slack current, very peaceful and calming compared to the previous experience.

If it ever happened again, at least I'd have the comfort that I'd been through it before, and maybe I'd try swimming away from or closer to the wall as I'm learned since. However, as close as I was to running out of air the last time, I don't think I want there to be a next time. At the least, now when I dive Cozumel I'm on a 120 and that allows a bigger safety margin if it ever occurs when we're deeper. I'll also never forget my weights again, that's for sure. Live and learn.

EDIT - Never mind, found TexasTorpedo's post. Thanks, David.

Sadly, while living in a great place to learn it, I didn't take advantage of becoming fluent in Spanish while in Cozumel. It sounds like he confirmed going after her to 400 but hopefully someone fluent can translate and say for sure. I'm really glad he took the time to come to SB and post and hope he gets well soon!

Reactions: Jax
DD I am aware that the downdraft was not a factor in the accident but part of the analysis involves coming away with lessons we can all learn and it is clear that although the drafts did not cause this that they can cause a major peoblem to an unaware diver. Whilst it is great that you are starting a thread it is of little use to the diver that does not come on SB and so the info should be given out at the source - The dive op.

Thanks for the thread though.
I appreciate that but it keeps coming up here, and it's off topic here, but it'd be nice if these posting about down currents would do so on this thread >---> http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/395903-what-do-down-welling-down-current.html

Sadly, while living in a great place to learn it, I didn't take advantage of becoming fluent in Spanish while in Cozumel. It sounds like he confirmed going after her to 400 but hopefully someone fluent can translate and say for sure. I'm really glad he took the time to come to SB and post and hope he gets well soon!

From facebook:

They are releasing Gabi today or Sun and he will be starting physical therapy next week - today he says his legs are itching like a mother... thats what we want to hear :) and I hear he will be rolling around a dive shop soon and learning how to do e mails :) (oops he may not know about the email part yet - LOL) and he wanted me to thank everyone for their support!!!!

Still hard to believe he pulled that off......

Yes, he says that she was narced and he went down to 400 feet to rescue her. Pretty amazing work.

I appreciate that but it keeps coming up here, and it's off topic here, but it'd be nice if these posting about down currents would do so on this thread >---> http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/395903-what-do-down-welling-down-current.html

DD I fail to see how anything that can result in a safer dive experience for all can be off topic. Even though it did not cause the accident it has been brought up here several times as something that can be a real issue for all of us and to suggest that just bcs it doesnt relate directly to the EXACT GOING ONs it should be ignored doesnt make sense. Nonetheless I am relatively new to posting on the boards and so will consider myself chastised

“PARA LA GENTE QUE NO SABE DE ESTO SOLO LES PUEDO DECIR QUE ESTOY ASÍ POR SALVAR UNA VIDA”

It is really good to hear that Gaby is with us. What is not good, that he says, that until 300 ft everything is OK. “I am here in this state, because I saved the life”. Maybe it will be more accurate to say: “My state is so severe, because I saved the life”. Yes, after 300 ft the air is poison, but it is not much better after 150 or 200 neither.

The subject was touched on . .

After TSHTF, what should have been the right decision?

They decided to try some recompression at 60-70fsw.

They could have gone to the chamber.

What should have been the right decision, and why? What was the time to travel to the chamber, and surely the risky in-water recompression could have done SOME good?

:idk:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom