Cozumel Incident 9/4/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan makes a good point. As you might guess, the diving community in Boulder has a number of expert climbers in it. I am not one of them, but I have listened to some real expert climbers talk about it during long road trips. The best climbers know the best climbing techniques for all situations, and when they are doing the hairiest climbs, they are using those best techniques.

In this case, you are talking about excellent recreational divers who used none of the best techniques used for diving beyond recreational limits.

Bouler John thank you so much I can't agree more the people that know what happened need to comeout and tell what happened to stop all this specualtion, by keeping quite all they are doing is hurting a industry that is all ready hurting from Hurricame Wilma and the drug wars along the border. My wife and I were in Cozumel in July and the place was dead the most cruise ships in an day was three. At night the town was deserted. Which really didn't hurt my feeling as we had the town to ourselves but I know people who oen dive shops inCOZ and they are hurting. If the truth doesn't come out on this nit's only going to get worse. I know Nauticab who post on cozumelmy cozumel knows what happended and some others they need to release the truth instead of trying to supress it cause people are reading this and saying "wow cozumel isn't safe to dive."

Release the truth

Don, I've rarely seen anything below 200' that is any nicer than what's at 150'. Certainly not at Villa Blanca. Maracaibo Deep may be the only exception but not worth all that goes into making this a proper tech dive, IMO.. At least, not twice. :)

Obviously this is location dependent. Around North West point on Cayman its kind of ho hum at 150',a steepish slope with not that much life. Once you get down to 200' though the wall goes vertical and is incredibly dramatic. This area is a much better dive at 200 than it is at 150.

Bouler John thank you so much I can't agree more the people that know what happened need to comeout and tell what happened to stop all this specualtion, by keeping quite all they are doing is hurting a industry that is all ready hurting from Hurricame Wilma and the drug wars along the border....
Release the truth
I think that has pretty much happened, hasn't it? We know the dive plan, and we know what went wrong. What else needs to be released?

Bouler John thank you so much I can't agree more the people that know what happened need to comeout and tell what happened to stop all this specualtion, by keeping quite all they are doing is hurting a industry that is all ready hurting from Hurricame Wilma and the drug wars along the border. My wife and I were in Cozumel in July and the place was dead the most cruise ships in an day was three. At night the town was deserted. Which really didn't hurt my feeling as we had the town to ourselves but I know people who oen dive shops inCOZ and they are hurting. If the truth doesn't come out on this nit's only going to get worse. I know Nauticab who post on cozumelmy cozumel knows what happended and some others they need to release the truth instead of trying to supress it cause people are reading this and saying "wow cozumel isn't safe to dive."

Release the truth

Tell, please, what more truth are you looking for? You know:

- dive plan was to go deep
- narcosis took over
- all made to the surface
- bad decision was to go for IWR
- all end up in the hospital

Also you know there was no any killer down current and Cozumel is as safe place to dive as other warm water sites on this planet. What else?

EDIT: I can see boulderjohn was faster :wink:

Why are people even discussing what there is to see down there? The only thing they were looking to see was a certain depth on their depth gauge and the entire remainder of the dive was nothing but decompression stops. I know some can last a very long time on an AL80 but not at those depths, it was nothing more than a bounce dive for bragging rights period. If you doubt that feel free to email Gabi he seems very willing to talk about it and admitted it was a mistake. I am very interested to see what he is gonna say, there is way more to find out than we know now. Sure we know the basics but is there really any computer evidence to verify the depths? I am sure people are going to want to know how long he or they have been doing this and how many others do the same. We already know he has plenty of practice that deep or he would have never survived trying to save her.

Obviously this is location dependent. Around North West point on Cayman its kind of ho hum at 150',a steepish slope with not that much life. Once you get down to 200' though the wall goes vertical and is incredibly dramatic. This area is a much better dive at 200 than it is at 150.
That's nice to know. I did my Adv. Nitrox/Deco Proc. "graduation" 150' dive there with Cobalt Coast and besides being happy that I passed the class, wasn't so impressed with the dive that I'd bother doing it outside of class. When (if) I decide to take further tech classes to help get me that deep, I'll give the area another go.

BTW since some of that has yet to be 100% confirmed I will add this....
that post is identified as my hypothesis, theory, or a "possible scenario.

Dan makes a good point. As you might guess, the diving community in Boulder has a number of expert climbers in it. I am not one of them, but I have listened to some real expert climbers talk about it during long road trips. The best climbers know the best climbing techniques for all situations, and when they are doing the hairiest climbs, they are using those best techniques.

In this case, you are talking about excellent recreational divers who used none of the best techniques used for diving beyond recreational limits.
On the other hand, there are expert mountain climbers who are "light" climbers, eschewing all the safety doodads and emergency overnight gear in order to keep a light pack and go fast. There are expert mountain climbers who summit Everest without oxygen.

On the other hand, there are expert mountain climbers who are "light" climbers, eschewing all the safety doodads and emergency overnight gear in order to keep a light pack and go fast. There are expert mountain climbers who summit Everest without oxygen.

That reminds me of something I was told long ago on Cozumel while enjoying some ice cold beer and watching the fantastic sunsets....
"If you are not living on the edge you are giving up to much space."
It's fine to try to live as close as possible to the edge but what happens when you fall off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom