Cozumel food costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hcs3:
I'd like to get an idea of food costs that I can expect in Coz. If you would be so kind as to provide for me your average dinner cost, or average 7 day cost for food I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks,

Henry

Henry,

Not to be a wise ***, which on occasion I have been accused of being, it all depends on where you eat and if you include cocktails. One of our very favorite dinners in Cozumel is tacos at El Serras. Our family of 3 can eat quite well there for about $10 total. Or you could visit La Cocay and easily spend $30-$40 per person. There are lots of good places like Casa Denis where you can eat dinner for $10 or less per person or you could spend almost that much on a single "marquarita grande" at some other places like Pancho's Backyard.

We find that lunch is often a particularly good deal in Cozumel. Ask your waiter if there is a daily special that is not on the menu.

Joel

http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/cozumel_restaurants.html

you have to choose wisely to stay away from the tourist trap rests. Many good places to eat for $5 per person.

I have only been once, but food costs depend upon a lot of factors.

We were able to find some really good lunches for $3 - $5 per person, and I am talking about multi-course meals, not just a quick nothing. Casa Comida Toñita I think it was. El Morrito (sp?) was very reasonably priced for lunch also, and Jessy's too.

Dinners ranged from fairly expensive (for me) like Prima's which was $30 per person to more reasonable but even better food at Guido's that was probably $20 per person (give or take). Of course I don't buy a lot of drinks other than water, so you need to factor that in.

If you want to splurge at La Mission (any of the three) it may cost a few morebucks, but there are good values to be found. Of course some of my group had a craving for something "homey" so we ate one night at T G I Fridays just because I wanted a steak dammit!

One night we bought BBQ chickens for about $6 each at a place out on . . . Was it Salazar? The fifth street from Melgar. . . down the street from the Francisco grocery store. (Geeze, I don't remember enough details, I need to go back for a refresher!)

In my experience, and that of my friends, we found that the people working at the Dive Ops know some of the better value places because they can't afford to eat at the Tourist places everyday.

Just my thoughts

Wristshot

The farther you get away from the Plaza and San Miguel Ave. (main street along the shoreline) the cheaper food is. About 3 blocks behind the plaza are several small places you'll see the locals eating in. THAT's where you want to go! The food is great and cheap. Other than the local places, the prices range from fast food prices to quality qourmet restaurants here at home. As a general rule, we allow an average $10-15 per person, per meal when we are figuring a travel budget. The money saved at the Mom and Pop taquaria's is spent on more touristy places with others divers or is more money for extra dives!

hcs3:
I'd like to get an idea of food costs that I can expect in Coz. If you would be so kind as to provide for me your average dinner cost, or average 7 day cost for food I would very much appreciate it.

Eating on Cozumel costs about what it costs to eat in the States. There are cheap places and pricey places, and the range is about the same.

My two favs were Las Palmas and El Economico Mi Chabelita. Chabelita is just around the corner from La Choza, so not far off the plaza. Both have great prices and food, quality and quantity, plus they're family-run places with very friendly service. Both run about $3-5 per meal pp.

Found these by asking the taxi drivers, where do YOU go for food in Cozumel?

Wouldn't recommend La Mission. For about $20 pp, the food is nothing to write home about. For me the true test is guacamole. $4 for guac in Mexico?? Unbelievable. Avocados only cost 20 cents each at the grocery store!

is a little outdoor place across from the taxi stand and has the best octopus (pulpo?) tacos for 10 to 15 pesos (about $1.50) that you will ever have.

I'm not kinding, they are really good, especially considering what they cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom