Cozumel Feb water temp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
Sounds like a good idea. Going 12th to 17th of Feb and staying at Hotel Cozumel. Will be divng with Dive Paradise .It's what I did 2 years ago too. I just like the great diving there. SIT?
I will be down in Coz the same week in Feb.
I went last year around the same time and I wore a 3/2 shorty.
I got a little chilled but was Quickly cured by a 1mm tunic worn under my shorty. I only got cold on towards the 2nd and 3rd dive when my core organs started to cool a bit. The Tunic really made a big difference.
I will be at the Casa Del Mar. Stayed there last year. Wasn't the best but it was worth the money.

AzSnake:
I will be down in Coz the same week in Feb.
I went last year around the same time and I wore a 3/2 shorty.
I got a little chilled but was Quickly cured by a 1mm tunic worn under my shorty. I only got cold on towards the 2nd and 3rd dive when my core organs started to cool a bit. The Tunic really made a big difference.
I will be at the Casa Del Mar. Stayed there last year. Wasn't the best but it was worth the money.

Not sure what a tunic is? Is that a skin-like thing? MY friend will only have a 3 mil shorty and plans to wear a skin under it. I don't think that will be warm enough for 3 dives?

Will you be far from the Hotel Cozumel?

pilot fish:
Not sure what a tunic is?

tunich = vest in this instance

pilot fish:
Just read in Rodales that the winter water temp in Coz ranges from 75* to 85* Is that correct? If that's the case, I guess February's water temp in Coz would be closer to 75*? Don't know why I thought it stayed constant in the 80s? I was going to take just my 1 mil and skin but now I'm thinking 3 mil and hood for 3 dives a day. Can any of you winter Coz divers give me the scoop on that? Thanks

Was in Coz last week in Jan 2003 and according to my log book the water temp varied from 78 to 82. Just got back from there on Monday and the water temp varied from 78 to 80. I used a 3 mil shorty and it felt great. Others with me used everything from bathing suit and a "T" shirt to a full 5 mil with hood and gloves. Noone complained, but it was cool on the beach between dives. A light jacket or windbreaker would be helpful. The air temp was around 80 most of the time, but the breeze can make that feel cool, especially when you are wet.

Let me (us) know what the temps and conditions are once you get back.
I just found out I'll be in Cozumel 2/5 - 2/12.
Also, what's Hotel Mexico like? Nice place?

I've been trying to convince my wife to book the trip with our LDS, to no avail. Saturday the shop held a raffle and guess who won the trip, my wife...(write that one down in your log books guys, I couldn't have planned it any better if I tried). Next time I'll just buy two tickets and set her up to win one of them.

So the good news is she is excited about going now, the bad news is now I have to pay for my trip...but that's not really bad news since I'll be in Coz. diving in less than a month, just like I wanted.

Anyway, never been to Coz. before. Can't wait. I'll be at Hotel Mexico on some sort of all inclusive package.

-JB

Just returned 4 days ago. According to the info downloaded from my computer the water temp was 79 on almost all dives, even at depth. This was a little colder than last year where temps were 79 to 81. I don't think you can ever expect them to be below 79-80 degrees in winter. By the way, our trip was excellent and the service we received at Scuba Club Cozumel was again, as always, excellent.

Just back on Tuesday. Water temp. was 80 degrees on all dives. Wore a 3mm shortie over a 3 mm farmer john.

Ordered a 3 mm Bare velocity planning for my first trip to Coz Feb 1. Shop owner who just got back said the 5/4 mm would be better and a lot of the divers were using them so I changed my order. What do ya think, will I be ok. Also, what's the best light for me to buy for night diving there. Never dove at night before.
Thanks alot.
Rex

Just got back from Coz yesterday (last dive was 1/16 around noon at San Francisco Wall). Water temp was 80 F on all dives except the last one where it was 79 F on my computer. Seemed like all the DMs were wearing wetsuits. I was comfortable in a skin. My wife said she was a little cold in a 3/2 on the second of the 2 tank dives and on the day we did 3 tanks.

Take a jacket for the surface interval. I didn't use mine, but, several others used my jacket.

Back
Top Bottom