Cozumel drift diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anje77o

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I keep getting different responses. I'm going to be in Cozumel in two weeks and am a beginner. I've heard from other new divers that have gone as well as my trainer that drift diving is very easy and relaxing for new divers but also someone on here said they don't recommend it for new divers. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!

I said it isn't the best for a new diver if you are only there for 1 day of diving. It usually takes a few days to get used to it. Plus you said you are stopping at Roatan and Cayman, and BOTH are easier diving. That is all I said.

Just GC and Cayman, doing SRC for sure in Cayman but really want to do a non-drift dive in Cozumel.

If you do the Carnival excursion for the 2 tank dive in Cozumel the dive op will be Sand Dollar. My wife and I have been on a few cruises and have always used the ships dive excursions. We like the fact that if for some reason you are late getting back the the ship they will wait on you, not so if you book your own dive trip. The 1st dive will be in the 60' range and the 2nd will be around 40'. They tend to pick sites with less current so the drift is very easy and fun. We were there earlier this month and the the 2 dive sites we did were Tormentos and Paradise reef which basically had no current at that time. Both are great sites for beginners. Hope this helps, Cozumel is a must dive!

Thank you very much!!! I'm exhausted from searching... think I'm going to just book with the cruise. I've just read everywhere not to. Does that mean, I should book now with the cruise or wait until I'm on the ship? And how much more expensive is it?

Thank you very much!!! I'm exhausted from searching... think I'm going to just book with the cruise. I've just read everywhere not to. Does that mean, I should book now with the cruise or wait until I'm on the ship? And how much more expensive is it?
The scuba excursions usually sell out pretty early, we always book before the cruise. If I remember right it was about $100 to $120. Each ports pricing is a little different.

if you want to book with the ship the earlier the better. the trips tend to sell out quickly. the best part of booking through the ship is the ship has to wait for you, if book off ship that will not happen if you are late.

I really don't mean to be scaring you about Cozumel diving! It really is fantastic, but it takes a bit more attentiveness to your depth gauge, your air gauge, and your DM. They really should not be dropping you on a reef with screaming current. Most cruise ship divers have less experience, so they are more work for the DM anyhow. Last thing they want to do is stress out divers and DMs.

here is a little sample of Cozumel diving.... NOT cruise ship diving, this is from one of our week long vacations to Cozumel. We dive there regularly.
the shallow reef, with tons of fish, is Paradise Reef. It is 30-40' deep and the closest reef to the cruise ship docks. It is almost always going to be the second dive for cruise ship divers. Can have a little current, but it is shallow enough not to be a problem as long as you stay with the DM. There may be 3-5 other dive groups on the same reef (it is popular second dive for everyone) so make sure you don't start following the wrong DM.

Pretty safe bet the cruise ship dive operator will bring you to a site with little current.

The main problem with current dives is keeping the whole group close together. All it takes is one diver to slightly stray to make it unpleasant for others as they need to alter the progress of the dive.

I keep getting different responses. I'm going to be in Cozumel in two weeks and am a beginner. I've heard from other new divers that have gone as well as my trainer that drift diving is very easy and relaxing for new divers but also someone on here said they don't recommend it for new divers. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!

If you're really stressing then arrange for a private guide/DM who will make sure you're cool and safe with focused personal attention. Not that costly. You will also see more stuff. By dive 2 or 3 you won't need him/her.

Back
Top Bottom