Cozumel Diving 2/26/12 - Had one tank read 12 ppm CO -

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a PM from a SB member once who'd just got his Analox CO analyzer in, tried blowing in it to bump test, and was upset that it read 100. :eek:
Yeah, it was upside down. :eyebrow:

Sorry didn't read the spoiler intially but that was my guess.

I think that Mossman makes some very valid points about the frequency and severity of CO poisoning vs. the cost of testers. Where I disagree is suggesting that carrying a portable CO tester is somehow comparable to bringing your own compressor to Mexico. We all pick our own risks, and most of us accept a higher level of risk when there's a greater payback. We also accept a higher level of risk for something we really want to do when reducing that risk would be excessively tedious or costly, such as bringing your own compressor along, to use his own example.

I still think that DCS is a greater risk than CO poisoning, so I agree that a computer is a more important tool than a CO tester. But it makes sense that if all it takes to avoid CO is a portable tester, it's a reasonable addition to a dive kit.

I was leaning towards trusting dive shops. Swamp diver's post #51 has me re-thinking that, and I'm now leaning toward buying a tester for my next dive trip. I only dive once or twice a year, so it may be a while before I have to decide.

I think that Mossman makes some very valid points about the frequency and severity of CO poisoning vs. the cost of testers. Where I disagree is suggesting that carrying a portable CO tester is somehow comparable to bringing your own compressor to Mexico. We all pick our own risks, and most of us accept a higher level of risk when there's a greater payback. We also accept a higher level of risk for something we really want to do when reducing that risk would be excessively tedious or costly, such as bringing your own compressor along, to use his own example.
But it's the only way to be truly safe, since there are plenty of potential compressor contaminants that can ruin one's day that won't be picked up by the CO analyzer. I'm actually surprised the biggest proponents of CO testing here don't bring their own since I've heard some of them aren't light packers.

The MAX-AIR 35 is the way to go. Only 85 lbs. Stick it in a suitcase, pay the $200 extra baggage fee each way, and you're good to go. We can't put a price on personal responsibility!

This is alot cheaper Don than the $400 Analox. I was thinking of getting one but no one seems to have them right now in the Toronto area (well at least at the 3 LDS I called).

What do you think of it really? No alarm until 50 ppm but I guess you just have to look to see if it's above 5, 10, etc. and make your decision to use the tank or not.

This is alot cheaper Don than the $400 Analox. I was thinking of getting one but no one seems to have them right now in the Toronto area (well at least at the 3 LDS I called).

What do you think of it really? No alarm until 50 ppm but I guess you just have to look to see if it's above 5, 10, etc. and make your decision to use the tank or not.
Perhaps the stores there are hesitant to stock the Analox unti because of your stricter compressor regulations locally? This site offers the Analox for $325 US EII CO- Portable Carbon Monoxide Checker with free shipping in the US, somewhat higher to Canada.

The Pocket CO will work. If I really liked it, I would not also own the Analox - but you can certainly use it for safety, and easy enough for a couple of divers. Here are my cautions and how-tos from my experiences and mistakes...
1: It is susceptible to contamination and misreadings from humidity and a variety of urban fumes, so stick it in a ziplock before you leave the plane and keep it in one. (I do wear mine turned on while sleeping on planes since none have their own and I think it'd be nice for someone to know if an onboard problem happens. :D )
2: Use slider, freezer grade gallon bags as they are easier to close, but take enough for a new one/day as they still tend to leak after handling.
3: Turn on the unit and crack the tank before sticking the bag to it less you learn how easy it is to blow one overboard if you hold the bag to the tank then open! That's how I learned. :silly:
4: When the bag is mostly full, close it, turn off the hissing tank, and start your stopwatch/SS timer. Wait 90 seconds or longer and read.

After your first trip, order the calibration kit in time to use it before your next. $39 plus shipping at Order the Pocket CO - Carbon Monoxide Detector Re-cal for every trip or every 6 months, whichever is later. It's good for a year, then replace.

Yet you prefer the Analox. That says something. I still have plenty of time to decide. I'm leaning toward a hiking trip rather than diving in June, and with hiking all summer up in Canada (my favorite place to do my favorite activity -- yes, I enjoy hiking even more than diving) I probably won't be diving again before September, if then.

This site offers the Analox for $325 US EII CO- Portable Carbon Monoxide Checker with free shipping in the US, somewhat higher to Canada.

Where do you find these deals?:giveusahug: I was just gonna order one of these babies, and then I saw your reference to that site and ended up saving myself over $40! You must spend half your day hunting down these arcane sites to come up with these bargains. Not that I'm complaining, mind you.:D $40 is $40, and that is the best deal I have seen this year. Now I just have to find one of those "Turtle Tubes" to keep it in. I saw them advertised with one of these analyzers (for lots more money!:eyebrow:) and really liked this idea. Now I have to find one for myself. Many thanks- Woody

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom