Cozumel Diving 13-18 Sep 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColoDale

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I dove with a friend who came down from Virginia with United via Houston and met up another coming from California. We dive with Raul (owner/DM) of Bottom Time Divers (bottomtimedivers.net). I dived five days.

According to protocols, we need to wear masks on the boat and in public and practice distancing. We are in yellow status now and things are opening back up. Some that lived in Cozumel have left the island (temporarily maybe) and many here are still feeling the financial pinch.

Parking at the Fonatur marina is still closed off so in general parking there is a pain.

Diving
Weather – Mostly short rain showers with a few thunderstorms. Overcast at times. Hot and humid.

Water temps – I have not checked my computer but water was warm and I had no issues diving in surf shorts. In a few spots there is fresh water coming out at dive sites so the temps drop there. Not a big deal.

Currents - Slow and always South to North though on a couple of dives it was running out towards the channel a bit. Not a big issue.

Visibility – There are a lot of plant particles in the water but overall good visibility. There are a lot of jellyfish in the water column– combs, girdles, and those that look like a small string with black dots (I haven’t identified these) and even a few sea nettles. They generally are not a bother but I do have wide angle photos where it’s blurred due to a jellyfish in the frame. I did not get stung much and get stung more around April when the thimble jellies are here.

We dove mornings and others did do a couple of three tank dives on few days. No night dives by boat allowed.

Sites
Palancar – Open sites
La Francesa and Dalila
Santa Rosa
Punta Tunich
Cedral Wall
Yucab/Tormentos
Cedral Pass
North sites

There were quite alot of free swimming large Green Morays, quite a lot of Brown Spotted and Goldentail eels. Good fish life – Snappers, Margates, and such. Not many juvenile spotted drums as most were adult with one very large spotted drum that was turning dark. Lots of Splendid Toadfish. We saw hawksbill turtles but not as many as other times of the year. Lots of lobsters and channel crabs. Less scorpionfish on the sites we were on.

Photos (split into two posts)

Anemone
Coz Sep 2020 Anemone 001.jpg

Balloonfish
Coz Sep 2020 Balloonfish 001.jpg

Banded Crab (Anemone crab)
Coz Sep 2020 Banded Clinging Crab 001.jpg

Banded Coral Shrimp
Coz Sep 2020 Banded Coral Shrimp 001.jpg

Brown Spotted Moray Eel
Coz Sep 2020 Brown Spotted Eel 001.jpg

Goldentail Moray Eel
Coz Sep 2020 Goldentail Moray Eel 002.jpg

Green Moray Eel
Coz Sep 2020 Green Moray Eel 001.jpg

Green Razorfish
Coz Sep 2020 Green Razorfish 001.jpg

Harlequin Bass
Coz Sep 2020 Harlequin Bass 001.jpg

Horse Eye Jacks
Coz Sep 2020 Horse Eye Jacks 001.jpg

More Photos

Nurse Shark
Coz Sep 2020 Nurse Shark 001.jpg

Peacock Flounder
Coz Sep 2020 Peacock Flounder 002.jpg

Red Hind
Coz Sep 2020 Red Hind 001.jpg

Sea Nettle
Coz Sep 2020 Sea Nettle 001.jpg

Shortfin Pipefish
Coz Sep 2020 Shortfin Pipefish 001.jpg

Smooth Trunkfish
Coz Sep 2020 Smooth Trunkfish 001.jpg

Splendid Toadfish
Coz Sep 2020 Splendid Toadfish 004.jpg

Spotted Drum
Coz Sep 2020 Spotted Drum 001.jpg

Tiger Grouper
Coz Sep 2020 Tiger Grouper 001.jpg

Web Burrfish
Coz Sep 2020 Web Burrfish 001.jpg

Some nice pics.
I've got to get a better camera, or learn how to use mine.
Harlequin Bass...I've never heard of that one, or seen one.

Nice shots! nice angle on the splendid toadfish! I enjoy watching the smooth trunkfish flit around with their triangle shaped flat bottomed torsos! Thank you for sharing your cool underwater finds!

Thanks for posting. I particularly like the web burrfish. They are pretty shy so hard to get a good shot since they turn away from the camera/diver. —I have probably taken 30 or 40 pics of them and pretty much have pictures of 30 or 40 tails

You even got some purple in the background to add some color :). Well done

Thanks for posting. I particularly like the web burrfish. They are pretty shy so hard to get a good shot since they turn away from the camera/diver. —I have probably taken 30 or 40 pics of them and pretty much have pictures of 30 or 40 tails

You even got some purple in the background to add some color :). Well done

True. I have 6-7 other shots of fish tails of it but managed to get this one before it turned.

Water temps averaged 84 F on all dives. Avg dive time for 10 dives was 69 minutes and we did not plan intentionally deep dives. I had good fills on all but one day. Others reported short fills on a couple of days. Tanks were from the Fonatur Marina which I think is Meridiano. Quite a few bad orings on tanks which had to be replaced by us.

Quite a few bad orings on tanks which had to be replaced by us.

Having known people who have had that primary o-ring blow at depth (my wife included) I ALWAYS set up our gear, pressurize it, shut off the valve and listen for leaks around that o-ring. No hiss no prob but I then also watch how the whole system holds pressure on the way to the dive site to detect any other leaks. Plenty of things can fail but that little 5 cent (or whatever it costs) primary o-ring that holds the 3000 psi for the whole system is not one you want to screw around with. Any hiss or bubbles seen if sprayed with some soap and water results in an immediate replacement and testing again before we'll dive with it. Anyone who says that tiny little hiss or that tiny stream of bubbles coming out is nothing to worry about hasn't experienced one blowing at depth when that tiny stream turns into an crazy erupting volcano at depth.

When I was a kid and could only afford to drive cheap cars that should have been in a junk yard by then I learned the same thing about car radiators... They say that little drip is nothing to worry about... add some "radiator fix" to it and keep topping it off. Did that for a while until it let lose and the radiator blew out spraying steam and water all over the place on the highway.

When I was a kid and could only afford to drive cheap cars that should have been in a junk yard by then I learned the same thing about car radiators... They say that little drip is nothing to worry about... add some "radiator fix" to it and keep topping it off. Did that for a while until it let lose and the radiator blew out spraying steam and water all over the place on the highway.
In a related story...

When I was a lot younger I drove a 1969 Ford Econoline that developed a small radiator leak, and a friend of my dad's who used to be a NASCAR driver recommended that I pour a quarter pound tin of ground black pepper into the cooling system. It worked. I drove that van with the pepper in it for a couple of years, but every time I took off the radiator cap it smelled like I was cooking gumbo. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom