Cozumel Dive Report 12/30/2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Docc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Alohagal and I took an after Christmas New Years cruise out of Mobile on Carnival's Fantasy. The cruise and festivities were a blast but that's a different thread.

On Wednesday 12/30/2009, we took a taxi ($8) to Caleta Marina and met Alison Dennis (Scuba Dive Cozumel | ScubaWithAlison) at her boat the Maximus. My daughter and I had dove with Alison back in July.

There were five other divers but plenty of room on The Maximus. We drove out to Palancar Caves for the first dive. I was diving sidemount AL80s. We stopped to gear up and after the dive briefing I went ahead and backrolled in. I'm deaf in one ear and that was the ear turned toward the briefing which informed everyone we were a minute or two away from the actual dive site. I sheepishly climbed the ladder back into the boat proving my claim to Alison that I could board the boat in doubles.

We got to the actual site and dumped in. Visibilty was around 120, water temp was 82 degrees. We did some great swim thrus in the coral canyons and Aloha familiarized herself with her new camera. Aloha is a fantastic diver and uses less air than anyone I've ever dove with. Total dive time was 59 minutes with max depth of 78 feet.

PICT0104.jpg

PICT0167.jpg

PICT0130.jpg

PICT0138.jpg

PICT0153.jpg

PICT0176.jpg

PICT0132.jpg

After a 45 minute S.I. with water, fruit and cornbread, we dropped in at Columbia shallows. This was a very nice drift dive around the reef. I got to see my first stonefish (actually saw two). Aloha and I were first in and last out with a 104 minute dive and max depth of 34 fsw. Water temp was a cool 82 degrees.

PICT0209.jpg

PICT0211.jpg

PICT0153.jpg

Both dives were fun. Alison runs a great dive op, very low key, very safe. I always enjoy diving with her and DM Orlando. The only down side to the day was me leaving my Iphone in the taxi. I hope Pedro or Pancho or whoever found it is enjoying the phone and the pictures.

Last edited:
Nice report and great pix Docc!! Glad you had a fun day with Alison! I bet you took a ribbing for jumping ship early!! :wink:

Ditto that, Docc. Great to know that Aloha returned -- and to see that she's no longer wearing bandages!

excellent report and great photos........

Do they have any tanks bigger than AL80s.... maybe LP95 ?????

We're going there end of Jan and was hoping for a nice contact there.

Thanks,

Bob C.

great pics. Palancar Caves was one of my first dives. Felt like I was doing it again.

excellent report and great photos........

Do they have any tanks bigger than AL80s.... maybe LP95 ?????

We're going there end of Jan and was hoping for a nice contact there.

Thanks,

Bob C.
Most Ops can get you AL100's - Alison used to get them for the DH until his air consumption improved.

Thanks for the pics and dive tales! You're the first I've heard slinging there. That's cool.

Back
Top Bottom