Cozumel - Dive House / Fiesta Americana / Papa Hogs Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tricky

New
Reaction score
Just returned this week from a 5 day stay - 3 days dive trip to Cozumel at the Fiesta Americana. 1st day we dove with Papa Hogs because we weren't able to pre-arrange space on the "good" boats at Dive House prior to our trip.

The Papa Hogs arrangement was ok for the first day, small boat with just 6 of us. If you're looking for a loosely run operation this is the one for you. I dubbed it the "two guys and a boat" operation. Brought us paperwork on the boat, but didn't get to finish filling it out, didn't ask to see C-Cards, no provision for us to test the Nitrox mix ourselves. (Probably all comes from the same place in town anyway.) We told them we had brought our own equipment and Nitrox for 2 of the divers for all dives. They arrived with Nitrox also for the air divers for one of the 3 dives, not enough tanks for all 6 people, and didn't have weights on board since we said we had our own equipment. After a trip out to the reef, then back to their base shop, then back out to the reef we finally did some diving. Their operation seems to go to the reefs closer to shore and not much south of the Santa Rosa Wall area based on our observations during the other two days.

Had pre-arranged prior to our trip to have a special 2 tank dive, first one to go down while it's still light and end while it's starting to get dark - wanted to get a couple new night divers introduced to night diving. The second dive we wanted to go down while it's not quite dark, and end while it's totally dark out. They indicated there would be no problem arranging this for us. But after our first day of diving we confirmed our arrangement for the next evening. They were convinced we wanted 3 tanks - two for a "twilight" dive and one for a "night" dive as they said they didn't offer what we originally had arranged. We decided to cancel the evening dives with Papa Hogs the next morning. Went in to the office the last day of our trip to pay for our first day of diving. Not the classiest dive operation, but definitely one of the loosest I've seen. We had been quoted prices on the internet prior to our trip, but when we pulled out our credit card there was suddenly a "required 15% tax surcharge" that we had not been informed of earlier, and no statements or receipts, just the total charge amount on our credit card.

The rest of our dives were scheduled with the Dive House, the on-site dive operation at the Fiesta Americana. I can't say enough about how helpful and professional everyone on their staff was. Rauel is the man to see at the dive desk, he did a wonderful job getting us set up with the right equipment, nitrox tanks, answering questions, etc. Rauel prepared itemized statements of all charges, and did NOT have the "required 15% surcharge". They did the nitrox by the book, divers tested the nitrox mix themselves, logged it in the book and signed it. All equipment and tanks were exactly as requested, and they carried plenty of weight on board to get us all set up correctly, as well as plenty of refreshments.

We dove with the Dive House IV crew for all of our remaining dives. Francisco did a good job as our guide during the day, and Rodolfo and Jorge were always ready to assist as needed. The night dive was guided by Manuel. He was actually my favorite guide, as he really gave us a show - pointing out lots of critters and fish as we explored. I felt very comfortable with this dive outfit and crew, and felt they could handle any emergency should it arise. We liked the spaciousness and cleanliness of the boats, and they dove with a maximum of 10 on board, plenty of room.

The Fiesta Americana hotel was very nice. I was concerned about having to cross over the road to get to the dive shop. It turned out to not be a problem at all as the hotel is actually pretty much isolated and really no traffic on the road - it's not the main road south of town. We bought the all inclusive package, which was probably a good deal as meals are pretty expensive, but then we wouldn't have eaten and drank as much if we were paying our own food bill. A great time and hope to return soon one day.

Tricky,

Glad you ended up having a good time. I concur with your assessment of the Papa Hog operation.

My one day of diving in Cozumel (off a cruise ship) was with them. Ugh.

Looking forward to going back and getting another chance at a real dive operation.

Sorry about your problem with Papa hogs. I did pretty much the same trip last year at the end of July, only I was fortunate to have E-mailed Dive House. I Didn't really make resorvations just mentioned when I was caming and what I hoped to do and when I got there I was very suprised to find they were turning divers away.(no overcrouded boats, they fill there limit then turn away the rest) But because I had e-mailed them I was on thier list an got a;ll the dives I planned. 12 dives in 5 Days including two Night dives. I didn't use any one exclucive boat but I will say I really enjoyed my dives with Francisco, and they had a japanese girl that was also very good. I hoped you tried the seafood ravioli for lunch, that alone makes me long to return to the Fiesta Americana.
After watching the sun go down and the night lights of Playa del Carmen everynight I thought I'd try Playa this Year. I dove with a great Bunch out of Dive Mikes and though Cozumel may be a little better I really enjoyed my stay in Playa, plus the Cenotes are very interesting too. Hope to return to both places soooooon!
Steve :froggy: :froggy:

Sorry you had trouble with DO in Coz. Had you dove with them b4? Dive House does a nice job and we really enjoy FA.

No problems with Papa Hoggs for us - sorry to hear you had a bad experience ... we just finished 5 days of diving with them (7/26-7/30) and everything was super - so I was shocked to read your post. We checked in at their office, filled out the paperwork, Mike requested our C cards, then we paid him. (We had been told up front when booking about the credit card surcharge so we paid with travelers checks - this surcharge issue also affects hotel rates, so we got a better deal on our hotel by paying with trav. cks as well. ) We then went down to the dock, checked in and got our weights (had all our own gear otherwise) and dive boat assignment. They even stored our gear and provided 100's for Alan at no additional charge. Was part of the confusion that they picked you up at your hotel dock? That's the only thing I could surmise that would account for so much confusion.

And it just goes to show - we had also contacted Dive House since they had such a good rep as well, and could not get a clear answer from them on booking the "good" boats or on several other upgrades - so we went with Papa Hogg's who had been very clear with their info. I guess you hit Papa Hogg's on a bad day, and we contacted Dive House on one ......:wink:

One thing to add to the Fiesta Americana. This was told to me by someone on the plane on the way home, and did not happen to us. We had no real complaints about the place or their service.

If you arrive to the hotel early and your room is not ready, check again in a couple of hours or so. This person went and did a shore dive and did not check back until 6:30. They told them that the hotel is filled up and they had no more rooms available in the main building and put them in a Casita in the back. This ruined their experience with F.A. they said the room appeared that nobody had stayed there in months.

We arrived the same time as them, but checked back at 1:00 even though they said that our room wouldn't be ready until 3, and to our suprise, they handed over the keys. Even gave us sixth floor when we payed for a regular rate with no oceanview. I couldn't complain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom