Cozumel ATM warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Until they steal your CC info. :)
There's no liability on my part, unlike a bank account that could be wiped out. I always carry a backup CC or two and can call the CC from Mexico to straighten out any problems that might occur. The funny thing is that I've never had a credit card incident overseas, only in the U.S.

I have had CC fraud after using my Visa in Mexico a couple of times. It happens.

For cash withdrawals, I use a special debit account that I transfer money to only for that trip so I cannot lose more than that, or have other problems.

I have had CC fraud after using my Visa in Mexico a couple of times. It happens.
Apparently it does, but not to me. I've traveled quite a bit in Mexico and plenty of other countries as well, never an issue. Yet in the U.S. I had my personal credit card compromised twice (once from mail theft, once from a website), and a business card compromised once (not sure how, but it was for $12,000).

That's another benefit of AI as well. When I arrive in Cozumel on the 14th, I'll use USD or a CC to pay for my shuttle, put my CC down at the hotel, use my CC to pay for diving with a USD cash tip, and USD to get me back to the airport. Maybe some more USD for the Grab N' Go or the cafe. The last thing I need on my relaxing vacation is a financial nightmare so I tend to keep it easy.

So for those who say use bank ATMs only in the banks, which ones and where are they?

---------- Post added June 6th, 2013 at 12:56 PM ----------

Comes with the cruise ship territory......
Yep, i remember the good old days when you might see a couple cruise ships a week, not a half a dozen or more a day. I'm not anti cruise ship biz but it sure changed Coz for the worse. No bout adout it.

I fondly the remember the pre-cruise ship days. We were there for a week back in the late 80's and I think we only saw one ship. But the world, she is a changing. Just gotta roll with the flow. 3 days and counting.

Just hope I can find an apartment to rent (long-term).

There's no liability on my part, unlike a bank account that could be wiped out. I always carry a backup CC or two and can call the CC from Mexico to straighten out any problems that might occur. The funny thing is that I've never had a credit card incident overseas, only in the U.S.

I had my debit card hit once off a trip to Antigua no doubt from a bad atm. Credit union put it all back and sent me a form to sign. No liability on my part.

Now since we go to Coz all the time, I opened a BOA online free checking account with an ATM Card. Slap some cash in there and get it out in Pesos for free at Santander.

Of course credit card skimmers are really popular. Skim it walking to the register with the check, sell the skim, someone slaps it on a fake card and off you go.

One chance at an ATM to get hit or many chances paying with a CC? Of course with zero liability, it really isnt a big concern. The people who carry the big CC balances with lousy interest rates are covering the fraud losses for you.

I had my debit card hit once off a trip to Antigua no doubt from a bad atm. Credit union put it all back and sent me a form to sign. No liability on my part.

Now since we go to Coz all the time, I opened a BOA online free checking account with an ATM Card. Slap some cash in there and get it out in Pesos for free at Santander.

Of course credit card skimmers are really popular. Skim it walking to the register with the check, sell the skim, someone slaps it on a fake card and off you go.

One chance at an ATM to get hit or many chances paying with a CC? Of course with zero liability, it really isnt a big concern. The people who carry the big CC balances with lousy interest rates are covering the fraud losses for you.
And the people with high interest rates on underwater mortgages are paying for your free checking account at BofA :)

Lots of credit card transactions take place right in front of you. Restaurants are about the only place where you let the card out of eyesight. Are you suggesting that the good folks at El Moro, for instance, would skim your credit card?

I've had my credit card number taken twice in my life, both times in Cozumel. I never used it in an ATM--only in a couple of restaurants and to pay my hotel bill.

One time after I was there, my credit card number was used to purchase $10,000 worth of merchandise (fine china) on the Mexican mainland. They had a card with my number on it, but the magnetic strip would not swipe (of course). The sales person did not ask for any identification from a person buying $10,000 worth of merchandise with a card that would not swipe. (Hmmmm.)

I follow the CYA rule - I take my BofA ATM card to get pesos out of Santander. I also take my Capital 1 credit card to pay for diving and, in case anything happens to my ATM, I can get pesos out with it with a pin #. That little feature has saved my bacon 2x over the years. Terrible fees, but pay it off immediately and be thankful you had the option. I also bring some dollars. I have in the past brought 2 ATM cards because I was paranoid of anything happening to my main one. At the time it was fear of it being eaten by the ATM or lost.

The main drawback of ATM cards is someone can access them and drain your account...(scary) which is what happened to the OP's friend. I also read about this on the Coz TA forum from the gal it happened to.
:shocked2:

Back
Top Bottom