Cozumel and other Caribbean destinations re lionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did 8 dives last week and the week before. 3 of them were dedicated lionfish hunting dives and we saw very few. The 3 sites we went hunting on were all up north and in years past were very populated with them. We only were able to get a total of 7 or 8 on those dives in total compared to dozens and dozens in years past.

I'm interested in hunting Lionfish in while I am in Cozumel and especially in eating them! From what I have researched, hunting lionfish is restricted to DM's only. Does this only apply in the Marine Park or is it all around the island. What dive outfit did you use that did the lionfish hunt? I'm going to be there in May and am still looking for a good Dive OP to use and I want to try to do the reefs a favor while filling my belly at the same time! :wink:

From the Cozumel 4 You newsletter:

'The President of “La Sociedad Cooperativa de Produccion Pesquera Cozumel,” or the Cozumel Fisherman’s Cooperative, recently announced that due to a high demand in lionfish, prices for the reef predator will increase. The booming demand for lionfish, both the whole fish and in fillets, comes not only from island consumers, but the Riviera Maya, national consumers and even international consumers. As a result the price, per kilo, is expected to rise between 15 – 20%.'

From the Cozumel 4 You newsletter:

'The President of “La Sociedad Cooperativa de Produccion Pesquera Cozumel,” or the Cozumel Fisherman’s Cooperative, recently announced that due to a high demand in lionfish, prices for the reef predator will increase. The booming demand for lionfish, both the whole fish and in fillets, comes not only from island consumers, but the Riviera Maya, national consumers and even international consumers. As a result the price, per kilo, is expected to rise between 15 – 20%.'

And now I think of the around a hundred or two lionfish I have shot and left floating dead....... They are great eating though.

Lionfish populations are down in a lot of places, but if you know someone that will let you go to 120- 130, and have a look, you can see lots of them. Been there Bonaire & Coz. No I can't tell you who.
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom