Cozumel Airport Security WARNING

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I know there is another thread discussing this general topic, but thought this deserved a new thread. I just got back from a great trip to Cozumel. The whole trip was wonderful up until we got to the airport for our return flight.

We checked our luggage and then moved on to security and ran everything through the xray. A security man then set our two rollaboards aside and motioned me to the counter where he then set down one bag and pulled everything out and put it in a plastic bin. Dive masks, dive logs, dive computers, regs, everything. He clicked the plastic pens to be sure they were pens(?), opened up mask boxes and pulled out the masks, and so on, and piled everything in a plastic bin. He also opened the pouches I use for batteries and chargers, pulled out all the batteries and dumped them into another bin. He then carried the gear bin and the mostly empty bag back to the xray machine and ran them through.

Security guy first said I could only have four batteries in my bag. Trying to salvage what I could, I said “OK, I will take four and my wife will take four in her bag.” No way… he changed his mind and ruled that no batteries were to be allowed. This was bad. We take backup batteries for our computers and transmitters, and I take extra batteries for lights, strobes, focus light and camera, to rotate in as others are being recharged. I use almost all rechargeable batteries, largely for environmental reasons. Some of these are expensive batteries.

Security guy took all of them, from the little 2430 and cr123a computer batteries to the AA Eneloops to the 18650 battery for the dive light and even the OEM rechargeable camera battery. Alkaline, Lithium-Ion, NiMH, it didn’t matter. He went so far as to pull the little flat backup computer batteries out of the small baggies they were in along with their proper O ring, and threw the O ring into the bin with the other gear and the battery into the battery bin . All told, well over $100.00 in batteries seized. Had I been going on to another dive destination, I would have been really screwed. I package batteries properly when transporting them, in small, see-through plastic boxes or other safe and legal means. That had nothing to do with the issue and just made it easier for security guy to find and seize them all. My wife later told me that she saw a huge tub that was packed full with all kinds of batteries. I am not sure whether these go to a dump or end up for sale somewhere.

I have not traveled to Mexico for about 3 years, and never had this happen before. When we arrived at the Coz airport they had us look at a little placard with a list of prohibited items. Batteries are not included. After security and while waiting to board, there were frequent announcements over the PA system that batteries could not be carried in checked luggage and must be carried on, which comports with U.S. law. Kind of laughable since the checked bags were already checked and the security guys had already looted the carry on bags.

What was worse, for me, was that he then moved on the rollaboard camera bag in which I have my dive camera, housing, ports, lenses, strobes, etc. Again, he pulled everything out, pulled lens caps off of lenses to look through them, put his hand inside two of the ports, and felt around inside the camera housing. He then carried the bag back to the xray machine, put them them on the conveyor and ran them through again. Later today I will need to clean the smudges that now exist on the inside of the dome port. Hopefully it isn’t scratched.

It wasn’t just the one security guy or just me. One woman had managed to pack her backplate, wing and fins with spring straps into a small carry on. Apparently, backplates are forbidden, because they made her go back and check her small bag. I saw one guy lose some sort of small tool (not sure what) from what was obviously a save-a-dive kit. Someone else was being hassled about the size of their ziplock that had liquids in it. There were a lot of people grumbling about losing stuff after security. ASUR had 2-3 people going through the bags and they were all unpleasant about the process. It reminded me of the type of luggage searches one would face when entering some soviet block countries back in those days. Truly, it felt like we were being hassled just for the sake of it. So the lessons? I guess either take no extra batteries beyond what you can install in your gear and make sure they are all installed when you leave Coz (won’t work for me), or take only single use batteries and throw them in the trash before you head home (I guess if they don’t care about filling their dumps with heavy metals I shouldn’t either?), start smuggling batteries, or reconsider whether Mexico is where you want to go.

Since returning home, I checked on the internet and learned that under U.S. and Mexican law and ASUR rules there is no restriction on carrying drycell batteries aboard the plane, including lithium ion batteries. I also learned that this battery seizure is now a common occurrence in Mexico and has become a big enough issue for many travelers that there is no way that ASUR is unaware of the problem (ASUR > Airports > Cozumel > Travel Tips). I wish I had known, but it simply never occurred to me to see if the Mexican airport security guards were seizing non-prohibited items from flyers. Now I know...Mexican airport security guards will very likely seize your batteries. Of course, being Mexico, they will miss a lot of batteries, but you never know when you will be the one.

My wife and I were discussing where to dive in the Fall. I am annoyed enough about this situation that the decision has gotten easier for me. I am not saying I won’t ever return; I am fairly sure I will, but the experience left me with a bad feeling and I am inclined to spend my tourist dollars elsewhere right now.

Hopefully, someone else can avoid a problem by having read this.

At least on Delta, you are required to carry all batteries with you onboard in your carry on... Surly do not want a fire to start in the cargo hold...

Per Delta;

Lithium Batteries

It’s okay to travel with consumer electronic and medical devices (e.g. watches, calculators, cameras, cell phones, laptops, camcorders, hearing aids, etc.) containing lithium cells or batteries. All spare lithium batteries not housed in electrical devices must be in carry-on baggage only and individually protected to prevent short circuits.

Tips to properly transport spare lithium batteries:

Pack spare batteries in carry-on baggage.
Keep spare batteries in the original retail packaging to prevent unintentional activation or short-circuiting.
If original packaging is not available, effectively insulate battery terminals by isolating spare batteries from contact with other batteries and/or metal.
Specifically, place each battery in its own protective case, plastic bag, or package or place tape across the battery's contacts to isolate terminals.
Take steps to prevent crushing, puncturing, or putting a high degree of pressure on the battery, as this can cause an internal short circuit, resulting in overheating.
Learn more about traveling with batteries by reading the DOT's Safe Travel information at www.safetravel.dot.gov.

On the other hand... Fuel Cell Systems, coming soon to a device near you...

Fuel Cell Systems

Portable electronic devices (i.e. cameras, cellular phones, laptop computers, and camcorders) powered by fuel cell systems, and not more than two spare fuel cell cartridges per passenger when transported in carry-on baggage.
No more than two spare fuel cell cartridges maybe carried by a passenger.
Fuel cell systems containing fuel and fuel cell cartridges including spare cartridges are permitted in carry-on baggage only.
Fuel cell cartridges may not be refillable by the user. Refueling the fuel cell systems is not permitted except that the installation of a spare cartridge is allowed.
Each fuel cell cartridge and system must be durably marked by the manufacturer with the wording: "APPROVED FOR CARRIAGE IN AIRCRAFT CABIN ONLY".

Regards, lee

jd950--

That's dreadful. Must be a battery shortage on the island !

I've always had the feeling airport security makes this stuff up as they go.

Well this isn't just Airport Security, it's also Mexico....

That said, thanks for the heads up and I'll change my fall plans and head to USVI.

Oh and while people talk up fuel cells.... let's wait and see how long it takes for them to find an excuse to ban them.

I'm still waiting for Bra's to be verboten

That's crazy! :shocked2:

I've never been through anything close to that heading home from any of my many trips to CZM!

It really makes you wonder if they're not just keeping them for themselves to use? Is Azur in cahoots with Lomas????

Guess I'll be buying the cheapo Rayovac batteries instead of rechargables for the lights on our next trip, and leaving them there to polute the local dump when we head home!

A road trip to the Keys keeps looking better and better. Thanks

A road trip to the Keys keeps looking better and better. Thanks
Sad but true.

It seems like every year the local government keeps coming up with ways to make heading to Cozumel less appealing. They already turned me off of renting cars with their new rule that if you have a minor accident, you'll automatically be put in jail until you whip out the credit card and come to a financial settlement with the local that you may have bumped. They know they have you over a barrel because you're in a foreign country, and there's not much you can do other than pay if you want to be able to go home. What's to keep some scam artist from leaning off a curb and bumping your fender, and then playing hurt so they can get a big payoff? At least in the states you have due process and your day in court when some scam artist tries to sue you.

I love going to Cozumel, and I plan to keep going, but it seems like every year, I have one more thing to worry about when I do.

You'd think the local and Mexican government would be doing everything they can to make visitors feel welcome and at ease under current circumstances. I know that the drug war is far removed from Cozumel, and the swine flu outbreak was as well, but those two issues could be, or could have been, with the flu, enough to keep a lot of people away. Why add more issues for tourists to worry about????

The whole trip was wonderful up until we got to the airport for our return flight.

What was worse, for me, was that he then moved on the rollaboard camera bag in which I have my dive camera, housing, ports, lenses, strobes, etc. Again, he pulled everything out, pulled lens caps off of lenses to look through them, put his hand inside two of the ports, and felt around inside the camera housing. He then carried the bag back to the xray machine, put them them on the conveyor and ran them through again. Later today I will need to clean the smudges that now exist on the inside of the dome port. Hopefully it isn’t scratched.

Hopefully, someone else can avoid a problem by having read this.

Amazing.. sorry to hear you had to go through the hassle. Did they take and keep your OEM batteries. The ones I have for my strobes are almost $200.00 per strobe. I also take extra OEM camera, strobe and focus light batteries all of which cost a small fortune. I would probably still be in jail in Cozumel if they had kept these.

I had TSA do this to me one time in Phoenix but only on my carry on bag. But, they were very nice, very polite and even let me take my strobes and Ikelite case out of the bag so they didn't damage them.

I had a Spare Air in my carryon but broken down so there was no air in it. I did have a loose plastic cap (not a screw on) that was supplied by the manufacturer just for this reason and the TSA guy wouldn't touch it. He called his supervisor over and showed it to her and they both stood there totally freaked about taking the cap off the cylinder. I said I would do it so they handed it to me and stepped back as I pulled the loose cap off so they could look into the cylinder to see it was empty. They ran all the explosive tests on all my cases and cylinder, ran it though the X-Ray again in a bin but treated everything as if it was very fragile so it didn't get damaged and then sent me on my way.

I didn't mind this because they were very nice and polite. Your instance would have had me bleeding through my eye balls.

I think I will go to Grand Cayman for a while, don't need the hassle.

Everyone keeps saying how great Cozumel is. And I'm sure it is. But you are also dealing with law enforcement that may or may not be on the take, probably underpaid and therefore looking to steal whatever they can from you, and with all the crap that our own TSA gets away with like molesting kids and old ladies it makes me leery of ever going there again unless it's by boat. When we took our cruise there in 2004 the people on the ship told us flat out to do nothing that could even be considered illegal. Jaywalking might be overlooked or get you busted and the fine is whatever you had in your pocket. As much as they try to make it not so, it is a third world country with a government that gets pissed when we make it harder to come here illegally and if you try to sneak into Mexico the same way you are likely to end up in prison for a long time. But nothing will change unless those who go change it. Instead of reporting this here call the Mexican Embassy in Washington and ask them what kind of scam their people are running. Call ABC,CBS,NBC (well maybe not NBC nobody watches their news) and ask them about it. If enough people do it maybe they will be embarrassed enough to do something about it. Hey it's kinda working with our own airport goons. They now supposedly have new guidelines when it comes to kids.

Last July I also lost my scuba tool to security. They also made me check my carry on bag which had my backplate but, only after finding a small dive knife I stupidly left in a dry box which I put in my carry on bag. At the time I felt lucky he allowed me to keep the knife and check the bag. I’m going back at the end of the month and once again planning on putting my backplate and single tank adaptor in my carry on. That’s a lot of weight to put in checked bags if you want to keep it under 50lbs. Does anyone else know of other people having problems with backplates in carry ons?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom