Cozumel airport question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I were considering taking the flight from Coz to Chichen Itza on our last day in Cozumel. Our flight home doesn't leave until around 8:30 p.m. and thought we could do that trip on our last day since we can't dive anyway. My question is twofold: Can we fly on those small planes (don't know their altitude) that fly from Coz to Chichen, and is there a place at the Coz airport where we can safely store all our luggage so we can check out of our hotel and leave it at the airport to pick up on for our home return flight. Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

Mike and Lisa

the Chichen Itza plane is a twin prop plane, and not very big, maybe a 40 seater? The altitude they fly at is fairly low sence by the time you get to altitude, it's time to decend. If your question is if it's safe to fly after a week's diving? I would think the 12 hr. rule would still apply, but I'm not a doc.

We did the C.I. flt. a few years ago and it's the only way to go from Coz, driving and bus tours take too long to get there. A 45min. ferry ride, 1/2+ to rent the car or loading on the cattle bus, THEN a 3 1/2+ hr. drive/ride to the archeological site...it's too much.

The tour guide we had at the site was very good, educational and personable and the site it's self?...well it's just awsome, get the camera ready! I've been there twice and hope to get back in the next few years.

I don't think they have any locker facilities at the airport, none that I've seen anyway. They have been renovating the place over the past couple years, maybe they have put some in that I haven't seen.

You could try checking your luggage early with the airline you are flying home on, if they have a gate open that early. Your luggage may go on an earlier flight and be waiting for you when you get home. What airline are you flying? If it's one of the majors, they may have a gate open, if it's a charter, they may only open gates a couple hours prior to flt. time.

Shark's right. Flying to Chechen is the way to go.

Your proposed trip would wig me out. That's a TON to do on your last day.

If you want to relax and enjoy the excursion, consider doing it in the middle of your dives.

I'd be too schized on my last day to relax and really get into the ruins.

Do as thou wilt, but consider giving yourself more wiggle room.

Shepman:
Shark's right. Flying to Chechen is the way to go.

Your proposed trip would wig me out. That's a TON to do on your last day.

If you want to relax and enjoy the excursion, consider doing it in the middle of your dives.

I'd be too schized on my last day to relax and really get into the ruins.

Do as thou wilt, but consider giving yourself more wiggle room.

I'm with you. On my last day on the island, I like to relax and focus on "being here now".

Thanks for your advice. We have actually been to CI before and did the flight rather than the bus route. Since our flight back is so late, and I'm pretty sure we got back by 2:00 or 3:00 last time, I thought we'd have plenty of time. Now I'm not so sure.

Our trip is through Funjet, so it's a charter. So it doesn't look like we'll be able to check our luggage.

Thanks again.

Mike

Paco:
My wife and I were considering taking the flight from Coz to Chichen Itza on our last day in Cozumel. Our flight home doesn't leave until around 8:30 p.m. and thought we could do that trip on our last day since we can't dive anyway. My question is twofold: Can we fly on those small planes (don't know their altitude) that fly from Coz to Chichen, and is there a place at the Coz airport where we can safely store all our luggage so we can check out of our hotel and leave it at the airport to pick up on for our home return flight. Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

Mike and Lisa

The flights are no longer available from Cozumel to Chitzen-Itza...unless they've added them back in VERY recently.

No luggage storage in Cozumel airport, but you can leave them at my office if you need to :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom