Coz Trip on Friday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaFlea

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings All, Finally I get to return to one of my favorite places on the planet. I think the last trip was 2016???? Not sure.

I've looked through some of the recent threads and am looking for the current rules for carrying power banks on the aircraft. We are flying with United, checked their site, couldn't find a straight answer. I want to bring two rechargeable power banks with me. I'm used to putting something like this in my checked luggage. Can someone tell me if this is still right? I will put my phone and Ipad in my hand carry, I know thats ok. Just not sure about the power banks.

Thank to All.

Good Dives, Seaflea.

Getting them there should be okay, however getting them back to the U.S.A. may present problems.

Cozumel has been better over the last few years or so. Have not any issues with batteries for a few years.

Carry On Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)

Checked Bags: No

Spare (uninstalled) lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, including power banks and cell phone battery charging cases, must be carried in carry-on baggage only.
With airline approval, passengers may also carry up to two spare larger lithium ion batteries (101–160 Wh) or lithium metal batteries (2-8 grams). This size covers the larger after-market extended-life laptop computer batteries and some larger batteries used in professional audio/visual equipment. There is a limit of two spare batteries per person for the larger lithium ion batteries described above (101–160 watt hours per battery. For more information, see the FAA regulations on batteries.

ANY spare lithium battery must be in carry-on, NOT checked. FAA rules not airlines. Power banks are considered spare lithium.

"Spare (uninstalled) lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, including power banks and cell phone battery charging cases, must be carried in carry-on baggage only"

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/more_info/?hazmat=7
Thank you very much!!

Getting them there should be okay, however getting them back to the U.S.A. may present problems.
Hummm. You suspect the Coz airport agents may try to restrict them from flying out?
Thanks for you time.
SF

Hummm. You suspect the Coz airport agents may try to restrict them from flying out?
Thanks for you time.
SF
There had been some confusion in past years as to whether batteries should be in checked baggage or carry ons when departing Cozumel, but the last few times I dealt with it airport security and the airline were on the same page: batteries in carry on.

Ive had them in checked and carry on to and from no issues.

There had been some confusion in past years as to whether batteries should be in checked baggage or carry ons when departing Cozumel, but the last few times I dealt with it airport security and the airline were on the same page: batteries in carry on.
Thank you for your time.

SF

Back
Top Bottom