Coz in September?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan G

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Over the years I have been to Cozumel in March, April, June, November, December and January. We are contemplating a late September trip this year. I read the sticky and see that September is during Hurricane season. I know that nothing is predictable and there are no guarantees for any time of year.

That being said, is September way too much of a crapshoot? For getting blown out?

I've been to Cozumel twice in early October. If you're OK with covering the risk involved, it's a great time to visit. Warm water, slightly less hot during the day, fewer crowds.

Over the years I have been to Cozumel in March, April, June, November, December and January. We are contemplating a late September trip this year. I read the sticky and see that September is during Hurricane season. I know that nothing is predictable and there are no guarantees for any time of year.

That being said, is September way too much of a crapshoot? For getting blown out?
I have only been once in September- My very first trip to Cozumel, back in the day. It was hot and humid and it rained pretty much every evening- since it is rainy season, but it never rained during the day. The diving was outstanding and the water was warm and crystal clear all week. I wouldn't hesitate to go back in September, personally.

The odds of being blown out by a long lasting Norte in peak season are far greater than by a hurricane in the off season. "Nortes only last a day or so". "OR SO" is right! Those who've experienced a 4-5 day Norte and have only been able to dive 1 day out of 5-days planned know what I'm talking about.

I visited Coz annually for a decade in October and only once did I get blown out by a tropical depression that showed up and decided to park itself over the Yucatan for several days. Other than that, 90% of my hurricane season experience was absolutely fantastic. The only reason we decided to move Coz to December trips is because I'm making more $ than I did back then (can afford December now) and the weather is still fantastic in Virginia in October so it's nice to go when it's starting to get pretty cold in VA. It's like one last blast of Indian summer.

I started going to Cozumel around 1987 but skipped 88 fortunately because Hurricane Gilbert really wrecked the place. I would normally go in mid September because I loved the Independence day celebrations on the island. I have not had any issues in September with weather in Cozumel. Been to Cozumel in every month but January and the only month I had issues in were March. Enjoy !

Buy trip cancellation insurance....it's cheap enough!

I was there mid-September last year. This was when Maria was beating up Puerto Rico and cruise ships detoured from that area to Coz. Ocean was like a bathtub all 7 days - warm and flat.
We did not purchase trip insurance.

September and October are actually my two favorite months to dive here - they also happen to be my two favorite months in the midwest - LOL

I do recommend trip insurance JUST in case though :)

Thanks for all the replies. We were just discussing travel insurance and the 4 of us all have various trips over the next 12 months, so the DAN Annual Insurance may be a good idea (we're already DAN members with Preferred Coverage)

That plus the fact that Southwest allows for free cancellation/rebooking it seems pretty low risk to me. Excited to add another month during which I've been to Coz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom