Covid's impact on your diving ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving solo has never been an issue for me, every OW course you teach [I taught plenty] you are diving solo [think about it] you can't rely on your "buddies" , all new divers to have the skills to help you when 'the dodo hits the fan'.
I don't often dive solo , but when I do I am comfortable with it, just think redundancy [and what if] with everything.

I became a solo diver not because I envisioned myself as some maverick frontiersman but because I wanted to train and there was nobody else doing the same dives. My choice was either to sit around and talk about “technical diving” (which I still consider to just be advanced OW diving) or get on with skills and drills. I chose the latter, to just get on with training.

every OW course you teach you are diving solo

I never understood this way of thinking. True, buddies can't help you (can't they?), but there is still a lot of equipment redundancy underwater. Also, I believe that it's harder to forgot something when you are with students; indeed, above the water, (1) you have to check the students and (2) you have a visual reference out of the water of other people equipment. Both these actions will help reminding you anything you may have forgotten

That said, it's a personal choice, if you are comfortable with it just go :)

EFX:
So, why is it a hard 'no' for you?
It's not for everybody do they need to explain that to everyone if they decide not to dive solo.
No, they are under no obligation to explain. But, if they are willing to explain, it may be helpful to others - they may have a thought process from which others can learn, perhaps they have had some experience that has informed their decision, and others can benefit from understanding. Maybe not. But, it is a very reasonable question to ask.

If anything, I've done more scuba diving during the pandemic than the last 20 years.

COVID has affected dive travel, and teaching. But, looking back on what I expected - in early April - to be a really 'down' year, I am surprised by how busy I have been.

I teach through two shops, in two different, adjacent, states. And, COVID's impact on the volume in the two shops has been quite different. In one, the loss of public pool availability really shut down OW teaching for much of the season, and therefore really slowed down the 'pipeline'. In the other, the continued availability of private pool space allowed us to continue, even though the shop had to be physically closed for several months.

But, the need to change how we do things has also stimulated some innovation and opened up new opportunities.

I have been to the local quarries for 'fun' far more than in the previous 2-3 years. One shop set up some mid-week diving outings - '6-pack Diver Days', where we limited the number of people who could be in the shelter, (so we could maintain some distancing). Those were very successful. In fact, both quarries that I use have been quite busy. I have been able to do two coastal / ocean charters this season, for 'fun', which I had not done in the past several years.

We have implemented some cleaning procedures in one of the shops that I found to be particularly thoughtful, and I have changed my own approach to my personal gear cleaning, as a result. At one of the quarries, a very pro-active local shop and instructor created a Confined Water space at one of the entrances, that has served to offset the lack of pool availability to a certain extent.

One shop's monthly staff meetings have gone virtual (Zoom), which has increased participation. Dive Club meetings went virtual as well for 6 months, and we have had some great remote presentations.

I usually only go to DEMA in the alternate years, when it is in FL. I went in 2019. AND, I went to DEMA again this year - virtually. It wasn't the same, of course, but I really applaud the efforts of organizations and agencies to adapt to the changing environment.

As my wife says, we won the COVID lottery. We were on Grand Cayman for our annual visit when they closed the borders in March and went into total lockdown. We couldn't get a place for our dog on one of the few last minute repatriation flights back to the US, so decided to stay here and wait it out (With the borders closed, the government decided to ignore expiring visas, so we were able to stay with no problem). Other than no diving (or any beach or social activity) for the first three months, we became essentially virus free and now have no restrictions - totally back to normal. (Hint: wearing masks, social distancing and extensive testing works). The only mask I wear these days is my dive mask. I'm diving a couple of times per week with the few dive shops still operating, plus a shore dive here and there. Borders are still closed, and no commercial air flights running, so we're here at least until end of April. So in net, I'm diving way more than ever, avoiding the New England winter, and living a COVID-free existence. I do wish everyone back in the US a safe passage through the pandemic and hopefully things will get back to normal there some day soon.

I own and run a dive operation down in the southern Caribbean (Carriacou) and from the point we shut down the country (Grenada) in March operations have largely ceased. Whilst officially the island is open, the travel restrictions are such that very few people can get here for a vacation trip. Bookings have dried up and revenue is down about 80%. There is no expat or 'middle class' on the island who could be tempted to try diving.... but we're getting by...

Personally, I was supposed to be doing an SSI ITS in April 2020 too. Its been deferred to March 2021, but to complete the course I'll need to quarantine on the big island, meaning I'll be away for almost a month. That's $$$

The flip to it though, is that we've learnt about video and media production and created a YouTube channel which we never had time for. We've also got to do a lot of training as a team and explore some fun new sites too...

I never understood this way of thinking. True, buddies can't help you (can't they?), but there is still a lot of equipment redundancy underwater. Also, I believe that it's harder to forgot something when you are with students; indeed, above the water, (1) you have to check the students and (2) you have a visual reference out of the water of other people equipment. Both these actions will help reminding you anything you may have forgotten

That said, it's a personal choice, if you are comfortable with it just go :)
Agree. I think a pro diving with a student(s) is somewhere in between diving solo and with a certified buddy. Though it can be dangerous if the student panics. That get into the solo vs. instabuddy thing.

It's not for everybody do they need to explain that to everyone if they decide not to dive solo. I plan on taking the course but don't really plan on doing solo dives.

Storker doesn't have to explain anything to anyone. I'm asking because I'm curious. I know that Storker is an underwater photographer and some photographers like to dive alone because catering to a buddy can become a nuisance when trying to get those great underwater shots.

Back
Top Bottom